Fatty Tissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatty Tissue

I know this is a shot in the dark but.......Does anyone know the approximate weight of the body for a 1960 Lark Hardtop? I'm looking at removing the body from the frame to make some frame/suspension improvements and I'll probably be raising it in the air from the rafters in my garage. Then setting it on some steel stands while I work on the frame. I'm looking for the weight of just the body minus the doors and front clip if possible.

All I can say is, be sure to prop up those rafters with 4X4 Posts or you may get a badly modified Garage!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've done it. But like StudeRich said, good vertical and horizontal support on both sides of the body to spread the load is a must.
      Last edited by Lanny Bertram; 06-12-2014, 09:25 AM.
      sigpic
      Lanny & Barb Bertram
      '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
      Indy Chapter SDC since 2000
      Weaverville, NC

Comment

Actually I didn't say that Lanny, but that is a very good suggestion and REQUIRED to reinforce the Door openings on Hardtops and Convertibles especially, if doors are removed to prevent distorting the very weak body, once it is off of the Frame.

You will want to SEE this:
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...lity-Build-off
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If the rafter strength is in question, what not just jack up the body, put some good saw horses on each side of the car & run boards or pipes across them. Then you can just roll the chassis out from under it.

Comment

Just in case you dont have a rotisserie, I stood the body on its nose and tied it down. The front femder mounts on the firewall balances it pretty good.

Comment

I don't know what the weight is, but it's not as heavy as you think. I just lifted the body off with 4 guys, and it wasn't even a struggle.
              Mine sat on simple sawhorses for 2 years while the trunk, rockers, floor and sub-flooring got replaced.
              I never thought to brace the body until later on. So I was very happy when the car went back together that the doors actually fit! I would be more careful if doing it again.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X