Lionel Stone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lionel Stone??

New to the forum, Has anyone dealt with this man before. I have spent probably in the neighborhood of 3500 to 4000 dollars with him already. I ordered a set of headers from him, but these don't look like headers at all and I am sure that they will not help for the 500 dollars that I spent on them. I would probably be better off getting a set made. Plus they have a generator conversion bracket that I have to use my head bolts for and this does not make me comfortable, I.E. warping a head should these bolts rattle loose. I called Lionel and asked him If I could return this unneeded unused equipment, he reponded with that I may, but there is a 10% restocking fee. This guy just runs a ma and pa shop so all he has to do is throw this stuff back on the shelf. Is he just greedy, considering the ammount of money I already spent with him and does anyone have any valuable information for what to do next?

If you were expecting tubular headers, you were wrong. What you got from Lionel are replicas of FACTORY headers. There's no doubt they're an improvement over the stock manifolds, but to what degree - is the question. Admittedly, they don't offer the visual WOW factor of tubular headers (which no one makes to my knowledge).
    I'm not Lionel's defense by any stretch, BUT - having to pack and ship them, then process a refund after getting them back and unpacking them, I don't think 10% is out of the question.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you were expecting tubular headers, you were wrong. What you got from Lionel are replicas of FACTORY headers. There's no doubt they're an improvement over the stock manifolds, but to what degree - is the question. Admittedly, they don't offer the visual WOW factor of tubular headers (which no one makes to my knowledge).
      I'm not Lionel's defense by any stretch, BUT - having to pack and ship them, then process a refund after getting them back and unpacking them, I don't think 10% is out of the question.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You bought the Studebaker cast iron factory headers that Lionel sells. The alternator mount is not a problem, Studebaker used the same head bolts to hold power steering pumps and a supercharger, so that is not a issue either. As to the restocking charge, that's pretty standard. He has to take the order, pull the parts, box them up ship them, then repeat when you return them. It sounds like he provided what you asked for in good faith, you expected something different. I agree that he might have waved the restocking fee for a good customer, but it's his business to run the way he chooses and this is not the place to discuss it in a open forum.

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT cost to date
        $58,185.77
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Lark 2 door
        59 Scotsman
        58 Packard HT
        56 Golden Hawk
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

You bought the Studebaker cast iron factory headers that Lionel sells. The alternator mount is not a problem, Studebaker used the same head bolts to hold power steering pumps and a supercharger, so that is not a issue either. As to the restocking charge, that's pretty standard. He has to take the order, pull the parts, box them up ship them, then repeat when you return them. It sounds like he provided what you asked for in good faith, you expected something different. I agree that he might have waved the restocking fee for a good customer, but it's his business to run the way he chooses and this is not the place to discuss it in a open forum.

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT cost to date
          $58,185.77
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Lark 2 door
          59 Scotsman
          58 Packard HT
          56 Golden Hawk
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Bob, great minds think alike.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT cost to date
            $58,185.77
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            63 GT Hawk
            63 Lark 2 door
            59 Scotsman
            58 Packard HT
            56 Golden Hawk
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Bob, great minds think alike.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT cost to date
              $58,185.77
              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Lark 2 door
              59 Scotsman
              58 Packard HT
              56 Golden Hawk
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm not trying to defend Lionel either, but my dealership charges 20% as a restocking fee.

Comment

I'm not trying to defend Lionel either, but my dealership charges 20% as a restocking fee.

Comment

So...you guys don't really have any info as far as the headers go. If I can't discuss this here then where should I talk about it. There are not a whole lot of studebaker places.

Comment

So...you guys don't really have any info as far as the headers go. If I can't discuss this here then where should I talk about it. There are not a whole lot of studebaker places.

Comment

50 to sixty bucks is no money at all, what I was getting at is just the principal of the amount of money I spent with the business. Any time I have a repeat customer like that I would not pinch him for pennies.

Comment

50 to sixty bucks is no money at all, what I was getting at is just the principal of the amount of money I spent with the business. Any time I have a repeat customer like that I would not pinch him for pennies.

Comment

Using head bolts to mount something is just acidnine to me. I think the reason that they did it back then was the same reason that they had remote oil filters,or no oil filters at all, because they did not know any better at that time.

Comment

Using head bolts to mount something is just acidnine to me. I think the reason that they did it back then was the same reason that they had remote oil filters,or no oil filters at all, because they did not know any better at that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X