Old WW2 photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old WW2 photos.

After spending a day at the military reenactment last weekend my boys asked me if I had any photos of their grandfather from the war. I found the ones below after rumaging through some old boxes. My dad was in the engineers during the war and spent time in north Africa, he was one of the 'Rats of Tobruk', then was called back for retraining and sent to New Guinea when the Japanese were threatening to invade Australia. These photos are of his time in Africa, various snaps of his camps and transport and buddys, and an interesting pic of a German propaganda leaflet dropped to encourage them to surrender. It seems you guys were having a 'jolly good time' in Austtralia while there were there fighting the Jerrys ;-) BTW - the Platapus on the boomarang symbol was the logo for the Australian forces in Tobruk.

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Very interesting. Thanks for digging them out.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I like seeing the pictures of what dads were doing in WWII.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Matt
        The airplane in one of your pictures appears to be a Hawker Hurricane fighter. Note the engine wheels, even some of the skin was scavenged. What sort of truck is shown? Although I'm sure you Aussies got some Lend-Lease materials, that doesn't look like a Studebaker. Could it be a Bedford? It looks to be 3/4 or 1/2 ton.
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
          Matt
          The airplane in one of your pictures appears to be a Hawker Hurricane fighter. Note the engine wheels, even some of the skin was scavenged. What sort of truck is shown? Although I'm sure you Aussies got some Lend-Lease materials, that doesn't look like a Studebaker. Could it be a Bedford? It looks to be 3/4 or 1/2 ton.
          I remember my dad saying it was an English Morris.
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Comment

My dad's unit stopped over in Australia for a few days on their way back from China. They were on their way to Tinian island.

Comment

Hi Matt.
              Great photos. Was your dad in 2nd/8th armored division? My dad was posted to that unit when they arrived in New Guinea. The 2/8th was subsequently disbanded into the 41st to 43rd Landing Craft Co and my dad was there for the remainder of the war. Perhaps they new each other.
              Cheers,
              Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by allstudedude View Post
                Hi Matt.
                Great photos. Was your dad in 2nd/8th armored division? My dad was posted to that unit when they arrived in New Guinea. The 2/8th was subsequently disbanded into the 41st to 43rd Landing Craft Co and my dad was there for the remainder of the war. Perhaps they new each other.
                Cheers,
                Phil.
                Hey Phil,
                Dad was in the 2/7 RAE 8th Army.
                Matt
                Brisbane
                Australia
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X