1963 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Champ

Hello, I want to say thank you for all of the great information I've found here. My truck was a daily driver for 5 years then sat for 10 (long story). It's had its heads and valves gone over, carb rebuilt, brakes bled and should be out of shop this week (waiting on a water pump).

Needs: rocker panels, cab mounts, carpet, headliner, all new rubber. Let me know if you have any parts for sale. I plan on doing the body work myself - it needs sanding and paint for the most part. Any suggestions on cheap, good quality paint? I'll put the wooden flat bed back on and paint the cab and interior "Apache Red" - the original color. The hood ornament is off a 1953 Studebaker, I think. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not.

Engine is a 259 with 3spOD. It's all stock. I live near Tulsa, OK.

Adam

Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1744078Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1744079Click image for larger version

Name:	e.jpg
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1744080Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1744081

Hi Adam! Nice looking Champ! Nice model also. There are certain advantages to a '63 I'd like to have myself. Whomever did the repaint on your truck seemed to have done a decent job. The two-tone red/gold works for me! Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-happy037.gif
Size:	250 Bytes
ID:	1690955 'Course, I'd rather light green over dark, like Bess, but what the hey? As to paint, good quality is never cheap. If the paint is cheap, it's suspect.
    Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy, make yourself at home. We don't bite... well, not very often anyway.

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1690954
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Congrats
      I know that Studebaker International have NOS rocker panels so start there.
      Good price too.
      pb

Comment

Thanks, I've used SI already. I might try bending some.
        Also, I probably posted this in the wrong thread.

That picture must be blurry - that's chipped rattle can paint. The color came with the truck.

Comment

Hadum1
          Good luck with the T Cab. It took 3 trucks to bring back my Dad's '64 Champ! Of course that involved swapping a V-8 and T 85/ OD set-up in it! Looks like you have that already so you're well on your way. Keep us posted with more pics of the truck. You'll love it and we do too.
          Rob in PA.

Comment

I'm driving it now, so things are getting adjusted. Rotten floorboards, rocker panels and cab corners are past "cosmetic" and into "safety." The steering is loose - it needs bushings everywhere. Longer shackles will lift the rear a little.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1691018

Comment

This Champ MAY BE a 1960 5E7, with the sliding window Deluxe Cab and V8, at least the '60 Fender Mouldings, Possibly 1960 Parking Light/Air Vents say so.

The Model Number should be on the Serial Number Plate on the L/Rear Door Post.
              There are very few changes through the years on these Champs so '60 5E, '61 6E, '62 7E, or '63/'64 8E, is not a big deal really. You should have through the Floor Clutch & Brake Pedals if it is a '60-'62.

I can't quite see if it has the THREE rectangular indentations above the Rear Window, indicating ONLY a 1960 Cab.

This could have some easy Studebaker Parts swapping changes and actually BE a '63, let us know about the Cab Indentations and the Pedals, a sure sign of the Year or close to it, Plus the Model Number.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 06-15-2014, 12:13 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1691023

Pretty sure it's a 1963
                Attached Files

Comment

It's running good and the flatbed is seeing some work
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hadum1 View Post

Pretty sure it's a 1963
                    OK, I see it's a '63 with '60 Fender Mouldings then, or complete fender replacements.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A 63 has the suspended brake (& clutch if not an automatic) pedals along with the steering coming out of the gearbox to a pivot in front of the axle then back to the left side steering knuckle. I understand these steering gearboxes are troublesome & parts to rebuild them may require some searching.

As far as a "good quality, cheap" paintjob, you could get one if you do it yourself. If it were mine I would strip the paint off that is on there now. It would not give you a suitable basis for painting over. It would still require you purchasing quality materials. It has been my experience & observation over the years that cheap paint jobs don't last. A year of exposure will start showing loss of gloss followed by adhesion problems. I have a car right now that I bought from a friend who was told "this guy does great work, guarantees it for "life" & is cheap." My hood shows the results with paint peeling off exposing the sealer that was used instead of properly being sanded along with the emblem & windshield washer nozzles being tapped off instead of being removed. Used car lots do cheap. They are only interested in "moving the metal" & care little of what it looks like once it goes over the curb.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Fender

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        OK, I see it's a '63 with '60 Fender Mouldings then, or complete fender replacements.
                        I'm sure you could be right about that.

As to the paint, I think I'll sand it down to "patina" and clear coat it after I get rocker panels and floors replaced. It's earned it's stripes, and it is a work truck.

Comment

Working...
                        X