PDA

View Full Version : Wheels 1949 2R16 Dump Bed: Where to mount the spare?

Lynn
06-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Title says it all. 2R16 with a dump bed. There isn't room between the frame rails.
Don't want to put it on the side of the Dump bed (like a stake bed) as it makes the overall width too wide.

When I got the truck the spare was just sitting in the bed. But then, I have to take it out to put dirt, gravel etc in the bed.

Any bright ideas? How about not so bright?

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

rockne10
06-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Well, you're going to want it out of the sun so, if you mount in front of the grill you will need a cover, like the ones on the back of conversion vans. I assume no room on the front of the dump bed? Too close to the cab?
It's probably a split rim? Not a Budd?
The wife could always follow with a chase vehicle! :o:lol:

Skip Lackie
06-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Good question. The original location was between the frame rails at the rear. The specific cross-bar carrier depended on the tire size. However, the addition of the dump bed hardware probably took all that space, so you're left with no space to hang it. I have the same problem with a 4E40 with a flatbed dump. Mostly I just drive it without a spare.

rockne10
06-10-2014, 11:19 AM
I have seen them with an extension of the bed that goes over the roof to protect from whatever is being loaded in the bed and the spare is bolted there. Again, right out where the sun and weather will do the most damage.

gordr
06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
My 2R17A with the dump box has the spare standing vertically behind the cab. It stays put when the box is raised. I have a 2R16 with a dump, too, and it has a weird hoist with big cylinder vertical behind the cab. I think the spare on it is below the frame at the rear.

StudeDave57
06-10-2014, 12:47 PM
It is likely 'apples and oranges', but here's a shot of what's under my 2R16A school bus/RV...

Maybe that helps a bit with what Gord is trying to describe on his 2R16...?

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Lynn
06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Dave: I might actually use that idea. Will have to look and see if ground clearance is an issue. And besides, I don't know who came up with the saying "that's like comparing apples and oranges". What is so wrong with comparing apples and oranges? I put together a comparison chart a while back comparing color, size, carbs, protein, sugar content etc. It is a valid comparison.

rockne10: Yes, split rims made by Firestone.

StudeDave57
06-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Dave: I might actually use that idea. Will have to look and see if ground clearance is an issue.

Based on how high my bus sits, I think your ground clearance might be okay.
Maybe this photo will help you out a bit~

You can just make out the tire in this shot of 'Nelly' the day she was delivered to me.
If you need actual measurements, let me know.

StudeDave '57 :cool: