Shizzam damn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Shizzam damn!

I'd been wondering if my 7 year old battery was dying, which seemed likely, but it stays on one of those battery tenders that de-sulfates, and most times it starts great even without having been on the tender for a week or two. Other times, it was sluggish, and barely cranked over. NAPA had a good sale on batteries, so after another slow-cranking session, I decided to pull mine and get a new one. 7 years is a great run on a 65 month battery!

But I pulled the ground from the battery and was greeted by a HUGE arc which of course combined with hydrogen from the battery is a bit scary, to say the least. And the battery cables were HOT. I double checked the ignition switch position, did a quick check of wiring ( I have a 40 amp main fusible link for everything but the starter) and nothing looked wrong. I popped the multi-meter on and found there was a direct short somewhere, and after isolating the rest of the wiring, decided it was in the starter circuit. A bit more sluthing, and it turns out that the solenoid had an internal short...and maybe a lesser leak earlier. A whack with a hammer temporarily fixed the short and confirmed a bad solenoid. Of course, I had to tear the old one open, and find black coils and an arc path on the plunger. So it was guilty as charged, and only 51 years old. Sheesh!

$35 later I'm back to a good starting truck...and yeah, I want to see how far this 65 month Interstate battery will last!@
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

What not under warranty?

Comment

The battery or the solenoid?

Comment

solenoid. Take it back to your local Studebaker dealership and complain.

Comment

Now that the solenoid is good, I was seeing how much more time I can get out of the battery...already well beyond it's life expectancy, but the battery tender may be a large part why. All I could find in town was a Chinese solenoid, so heck this battery may outlast the new solenoid!

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
          The battery or the solenoid?
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
          X