Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to get a spare upper radiator hose for my modified 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Need to get a spare upper radiator hose for my modified 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk

I need to get a spare upper radiator hose for my modified 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk. By modified I mean that it originally had a 1957 Studebaker 289 engine in it with a partial flow oil filter. However, the previous owner before when he was restoring it, put in a 1962 Studebaker engine with a full flow oil filter. The problem is that he also used the 1962 V-8 water manifold that is behind the water pump. I am told that it is a 1962 water manifold because it has a 2 bolt cover thermostat housing, and I am told that the 1957 thermostat cover was 4 bolts. At the Studebaker Meet in York, PA, a vendor was nice enough to come out to my car, and we put a 1957 upper radiator hose and a 1962 upper radiator hose next to my existing on the car radiator hose and neither matched. The vendor suggested that I get the correct 1957 water manifold and install it, and I was later able to find one, but I would rather just keep the 1962 water manifold since it is already on the car. Besides going to a good auto parts store and just trying various hoses to find one that will match, has anyone had this similar problem and has a hose number for a certain year, make and model of a car, etc. that will fit? It should be noted that the lower radiator hose is fine, it is just the top one that I am having trouble finding. Also, if it helps, the car has the 1957 Carter WCFB 4 barrel carburetor on it. Thanks, Jeff

If no one has a suggestion on a hose to try, you may have to go the auto parts route. Any parts store worth buying from will have a book showing the shape and size of various hoses. Also the store should have, or can get, sleeves to make a hose that is slightly too large fit a smaller radiator neck. I am soon gong to do this on my 1952 Commander with a 1960 model engine to get rid of the universal flexible hose that's on it now.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The '61 to '64 Hawk Top Hose SHOULD have fit perfectly. You must not have the correct Fan Shroud or Radiator, because your setup SHOULD be the SAME as a '61 to '64 Hawk, the only thing left to be wrong is the Rad. or it's placement.

Yep, that is it, the '57's have that angled Inlet that is smaller than a '61, which is straight and larger.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A good machine shop can make you a plate so you can use the 4 bolt thermostat housing
        on the two bolt water pump manifold. Two of the bolts are put
        through the plate with nuts on the bottom. The other two bolts are longer and and go through both
        the plate and thermostat housing threading into the water pump manifold. Thermostat goes in original location. An extra gasket at any auto parts store
        and you now have the 4 bolt housing bolted to a two bolt manifold and it is clocked in the right direction to fit
        your hose. I did this on my 59 hawk with a 62 motor and no one has even noticed it. I used a 1/2" alum. plate
        so the housing is up a 1/2" higher but it works for me.
        P.S. finding a hose to fit sounds easier but I checked at several parts stores with no luck.
        IIRC the ends need to be different sizes as well and I don't think the hose exists.
        Last edited by RDWEAVER; 06-08-2014, 03:34 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Comment

All good ideas, but if it were me with a dozen water manifolds, it would be a no-brainer to just change the Water Manifold a whole lot easier than all the hassle with wrong hoses and Mods, etc. Your experience may vary.

What, all Stude. owners do not have a spare of every part on a '54 to '64 V8 Chassis and power train?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-08-2014, 05:24 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Studebaker water manifold is a cake walk to change even with the fan shroud in place, all you need is 4 small water outlet gaskets and a couple of longer fan bolts with the heads cut off to aid you in getting the fan and spacer started and in place, just install the 2 bolts in 2 holes and slide the spacer and fan over them and then install 2 of the real ones in place then remover the pair without heads and add the other 2 with heads, easy as pie, been there done that.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Working...
            X