PDA

View Full Version : Rescuing Neglected Studebakers and Finding Homes For Them

Bellingham Studenut
06-06-2014, 11:20 PM
I know there are some people out there who rescue Studebaker’s from the crusher, or from neglect, or ultimate fate from rusting away without decent storage.
Even having them stored where they are kept dry will provide someone in the future with a decent vehicle to do the repairs/restoration, or improve chances from the crusher.
Their best chance of survival might be to get them in decent shape, so they will more likely be enjoyed and more likely maintained (or even sold).
Sometimes the decision to part-out and recycle what are still good parts (that someone might need) and getting them recycled into good hands is also a good thing.
Any good stories about adopting, or selling a neglected orphan Studebaker, to help get it back on the road?

We have rescued, or taken on several neglected Studebaker's that needed work to get them back on the road in the last year, so someone could enjoy them (including me).
They all found happy new owners who became new Studebaker club members, Caretaker's and now appreciate Studebaker's.
They all became good running cars (62 GT Hawk, 63 Wagonaire, 88 Avanti, 63 Avanti, 64 R1 Cruiser, 57 Packard, 56 President) that were under $10k, so entry level car owners could enjoy them.
Rescuing sad non-op Stude's, and mostly donating the time and putting $ into orphan's doesn't make big bucks, but is rewarding.
If it was truly “Running When Parked”, hopefully the value of the vehicle will go up as much, or more, than the parts required to get it back on the road.
Free Labor of Love is often required, but you always learn something!

Any good stories about adopting, or selling a neglected orphan Studebaker, to help get it back on the road?
Encouragement for any good reason, or good outcome you caused is appreciated!

James

sals54
06-07-2014, 12:30 AM
JDP and I have, over years past, found hundreds of Studebakers new homes. We would find them on craigslist, or local want ads, or simply through referrals. Often times they were in a condition that left much to be desired. We would clean them up, get them running decently and sell them. Our formula was to try to buy them as cheaply as we could… refurbish them enough to make them a workable, drivable project for someone, then sell them at a price that would leave plenty of room for the new owner to enjoy them, and even resell them if need be. Sadly, that market has fallen way off in recent years.
Some of the cars we found…
Too many Avantis to count,
Several Coupe Express trucks
A couple of 36 37 batwing Coupes
A number of convertibles, including a green 64 that I should have kept,
Many C cab trucks,
T cab trucks, including a set of triplets all with 289s and 5 speed Overdrives,
58 Hardtops and even a 58 Packard Hardtop
A few 50 51 Business Coupes
Bunches of Bullet Noses
Larks out the wazoo
55 Speedsters,
Hawks,
Sedans and Wagons,
Avanti powered and supercharged GTs,
And, not to forget, one of the Holy Grail Cars I found almost in my backyard… a Full Package 64 Daytona 2 door hardtop, supercharged, 4 speed, disc brake, rear sway bar, traction bar, 160 speedo, Red over Black bucket seat interior, HOTROD. WOW, that one was awesome.
Boy, I tell ya, I've had a blast fixing and driving almost every postwar model Studebaker ever made.

clonelark
06-07-2014, 01:43 AM
I have a 60 Lark Regal V-8 automatic 4 door, that was a well running car. would sell it for what i have in it. $850, I'm going to use it to make a 2dr Champ a V-8, then scrap the rest.

warrlaw1
06-07-2014, 10:31 AM
We replaced every nut and bolt on the basket case I took on. To see it on the front cover of January's TW was the best thrill I could have imagined (Thanks Ann and Bob Palma).

PackardV8
06-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Some wonderful memories from saving some Studes which would have gone to the crusher. They're still on the road or under, construction.

However, no good deed goes unpunished:

One guy's wife still isn't speaking to me because I helped find him the truck of his dreams which when expensively restored was "too hot, too noisy, too rough-riding, too slow, too dangerous".

Legend goes, "if one saves a person's life he is responsible for it forever". A first-time Stude owner whom I helped find and save a Stude would call me any time of the day or night when there was a problem or he had a question about it; wanting to know when he could bring it over for free fixing.

Even so, I still try to rescue what I can.

jack vines

StudeRich
06-07-2014, 12:22 PM
I have a 60 Lark Regal V-8 automatic 4 door, that was a well running car. would sell it for what i have in it. $850, I'm going to use it to make a 2dr Champ a V-8, then scrap the rest.

Did you mean to say you are making a 4 door Champ Pickup out of it maybe? :confused: Otherwise it would be easier/cheaper to just BUY a stock Champ Truck.

sals54
06-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Some wonderful memories from saving some Studes which would have gone to the crusher. They're still on the road or under, construction.

However, no good deed goes unpunished:

One guy's wife still isn't speaking to me because I helped find him the truck of his dreams which when expensively restored was "too hot, too noisy, too rough-riding, too slow, too dangerous".

Legend goes, "if one saves a person's life he is responsible for it forever". A first-time Stude owner whom I helped find and save a Stude would call me any time of the day or night when there was a problem or he had a question about it; wanting to know when he could bring it over for free fixing.

Even so, I still try to rescue what I can.

jack vines

Jack, You are truly a man of God. Helping find a Studebaker for a man… or woman, who is searching for a dream to be fulfilled is definitely helping him discover his true self. That is an act of kindness not easily matched. Kudos.

PackardV8
06-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Jack, You are truly a man of God. Helping find a Studebaker for a man… or woman, who is searching for a dream to be fulfilled is definitely helping him discover his true self. That is an act of kindness not easily matched. Kudos.

Sal, you and JDP have saved more Studes than anyone I know. Plus, the words the truck guy's wife has used to describe the person who put "that thing in our driveway" cannot be repeated on a family site.

jack

warrlaw1
06-07-2014, 03:25 PM
She called you a runt?

sals54
06-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Jack,
Thats nice of you to say, but in reality, we probably just found better homes for most of our cars. Its nice to know that a Studebaker is going to someone who loves it and is trying to live out a dream.
Some of them were true "saves", but most were taking cars out of the hands of those who were neglecting them and placing them into the hands of others who were ready to love them.

Studedude
06-07-2014, 06:38 PM
I've had several Studes pass through here, on their way to new homes. Like Sals, some were in partner with JDP, and several I purchased on my own.

It's ironic that this thread should pop up at this time, because I went shopping today.

1962 GT Hawk:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Choctaw%20GT/12_zps998e6858.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavesPlace_photos/media/Choctaw%20GT/12_zps998e6858.jpg.html)

Two hole in the hood ride, Edmunds 2X2 manifold, factory 4 speed. Originally pale blue. I really wanted to bring it home, but it's more project than I need, and too many unknowns. It's one of those, "Ran when parked," deals, and the owner wants too much for it.

More pics here:

http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavesPlace_photos/library/Choctaw%20GT?sort=9&page=1
Pretty discouraged, it's been a while since I've found something workable.

rodnutrandy
06-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I saved one ! My Studebaker had only 1 bid on e-bay . Mine. and it was only a $99 opening bid. Owner said if I hadn't bid ,it would have been sold for scrap . Neat part is I made the truck I wanted , sold $700 worth of parts I didn't need and know of at least 4 other M series it helped get back on the road . I am thrilled with my truck , but anyone who will drive 2000 miles round trip to get a $99 truck could be a little off anyhow !

StudeRich
06-08-2014, 12:21 PM
That has the look of a really solid, possibly rust free, very long stored '62 Hawk Dave, the Maroon Paint even looks OK under all that dirt, it is just too bad the owner is so proud of it. :(

SweetSixtyn
06-08-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm lazy. I would have flown out and put it on a Uhaul trailer for the 2000 miles back. My wife of 21 years has finally figured me out. Gotta have projects for relaxation. She has her horses. I once flew from California to Idaho for a 27 ft Uhaul load of parts. Took ten hours to drive home. Total expense - $1500 for the parts and $650 for the plane ticket, truck rental and fuel. Parts were worth an easy $10,000.

Studedude
06-08-2014, 02:03 PM
That has the look of a really solid, possibly rust free, very long stored '62 Hawk Dave, the Maroon Paint even looks OK under all that dirt, it is just too bad the owner is so proud of it. :(
Yep, it has great potential. 'Problem is, the last GT Hawk I owned, I paid what the seller is asking for this one... and drove it home! It, also, was a factory 4 speed, with factory air:

http://davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/pics.h10.jpg

I was able to give it some TLC, enjoy it for a few months, and pass it on to a really happy new owner.

That's fun!

06-08-2014, 05:02 PM
I've been approached several times when people see me with my cars asking to help them with "projects" that have become a problem for them rather than a joy. I don't really go looking for them as some others do, the one's I've found seem to find me.

The first one was a black and red interior 1953 Champion Coupe that was the proverbial basket case owned (original buyer) by the high school pedestrian crossing guard that saw me with my '55 while I was still in high school in the 1980's. He came to me and told me he had already called the scrap metal company in town, and they were going to give him $50 for it. He'd let me have it for $25. I showed up at his garage with my Dad's old Chevy truck and some towing chains. I should have also brought a chain saw, as that was needed to cut down the tree that had grown in front of the garage door. This would have been about 1980, and the last registration on the Stude was 1968. Anyway, I got the car home (to the dismay of the neighbors), got the old flathead six to run, and put an ad in the South Bend Tribune for it. It sold to a guy who lived about 40 miles away. Don't know if my save was successful, or it was used for parts.

The last one was a M5 Truck that a local person had dragged home from a farm field in Illinois, completely "disassembled", and then found out he was getting transferred out of state due to a plant closing. He called me in a panic because he got my number from someone, and the truck (mess) had to be off his property in two weeks because his house had sold and the new owner clearly stipulated the truck (mess) had to be gone when he took possession. I worked at the time with a young mechanic who always wanted a Studebaker. Made the deal to buy it all for $100. The young aspiring Stude owner and I showed up at his place on a Saturday with two pickup trucks and a 10' trailer. We left about four hours later with every scattered piece of that M5 tied down to everything we brought to carry it. It was clear the disassembly was crude, and much of the truck was badly compromised as a result.

Sad, because I spent the money to have the production order run at N&A (just before all that was moved to SNM). The truck was built in 1941 but was registered as a 1946. It was one of the vehicles built before WWII that was banked to be sold to someone who displayed need during the war for a new vehicle. It was truly beyond restoration with my meager budget, but after storing it in my barn for about three years, my mechanic friend took "the mess" and has mounted it on a Jeep Cherokee chassis and last I knew was enjoying it in modified form. This thing was completely weather beaten (all gauges destroyed, no glass in cab as it had been used for target practice by someone, and an acetylene torch had been used to disassemble it). I still have the frame with front suspension but no rear end behind my barn. The non original flathead six that was locked solid (never budged after three years of sitting in WD-40) was sold for scrap. If someone needs an M5 frame, I'd give it to a good home.

wittsend
06-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Not too significant ('64 already had a McKinnon transplant) but this one rolled out of the California desert four years ago:

Today: 35451 350/700R4, Crown Vic wheels.

Studedude
06-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Not too significant ('64 already had a McKinnon transplant) but this one rolled out of the California desert four years ago:

Looks significant to me! It's not only back on the road, it's struttin' its stuff!

StudeRich
06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
That looks like one we were watching here and wondering if it was really a '65, but I think what is WAS is a Canadian Built late '64 Commander with a Six? I can see that it is Canadian Built, but don't remember about the original engine.
The missing "8" Emblem could just be missing.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35449&d=1402271522

wittsend
06-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Actually it is an odd car to describe:
Canadian built.
Daytona VIN (regardless of Commander trim).
Studebaker V-8 (originally), but I purchased it with a McKinnon 283 installed. Currently an '85 Corvette 350. The V-8 emblem is on the other side.
A-12 B/W water cooled transmission as purchased, it now has a 700R4
Flanged axle rear end.

As best can be seen, a Canadian '64 with a '65-'66 drivetrain swap. I checked and it was not a body swap. The "hidden" frame number matches the VIN. Not sure how it got to Lancaster, CA. The trunk was full of Canadian product packaging (beer cartons etc.). All the "replaceables" (plugs, filters etc.) were Canadian.

Mrs K Corbin
06-09-2014, 08:44 AM
I'd love to scavenge up an old Coupe Express..... Love those things.....

am not r2
06-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Several years ago I grabbed a 64 Daytona that had been sitting and was forgotten. Ran when parked but the guy lost his vision and held on to the car too long...spent a little time and got it ready for a new owner...saw it last year in turning wheels and it had a second place at the national. You never know. I just passed it on to a new owner I did not have the space to keep it and I just wanted to save it.
I got a 64 Hawk this year (in Jan in NJ!). Full package car that was facing an uncertain fate. Still looking for a home that project. Really did not want it but I just could not let it get parted or worse. Save them. If you can. Rich

Bellingham Studenut
06-10-2014, 02:08 AM
I'd love to scavenge up an old Coupe Express..... Love those things.....

Ya, sometimes you even get surprised with something nice...
We bought a 37 sight unseen after the owner said it was complete, solid and was ready for us to load and take home.
After 8 hours driving on a rainy day, we found the truck was in 3 locations (Field, Chicken Coupe, Barn).

Luckily we were able to talk his neighbor into using a tractor to lift it onto the car trailer and barely bolt the bed and front end to it.
It was sunk into the mud and the rear brakes were frozen solid.
He still thought he could get it running in a couple weekends and on the road, but didn't have any time (or maybe he never had any weekends!)
After loading it and paying, he said he couldn't find the title yet!

Just needs a little TLC :)

Bellingham Studenut
06-10-2014, 02:31 AM
Having a weakness for Studebaker's (especially when they are needing rescue from neglect), this one wasn't doing well after sitting outside in a wet environment for so many years.

After hoping someone else would save it, we made arrangements when the yard is clear and soil is partly dry, to drag it out and try to do something with it.

It was hard to believe that it ran and drove fine when parked, but after seeing the pictures, it was incredibly nice and had shiny paint when the previous owner brought it there.

Anyone want a very ambitious project? :woot:

James

sals54
06-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Ya, sometimes you even get surprised with something nice...
We bought a 37 sight unseen after the owner said it was complete, solid and was ready for us to load and take home.
After 8 hours driving on a rainy day, we found the truck was in 3 locations (Field, Chicken Coupe, Barn).

Luckily we were able to talk his neighbor into using a tractor to lift it onto the car trailer and barely bolt the bed and front end to it.
It was sunk into the mud and the rear brakes were frozen solid.
He still thought he could get it running in a couple weekends and on the road, but didn't have any time (or maybe he never had any weekends!)
After loading it and paying, he said he couldn't find the title yet!

Just needs a little TLC :)

Listen to you griping…. at least he protected the engine from the weather… right? That took a lot of consideration.

dimaxion
06-11-2014, 10:45 AM
PM me if you want to save a '54 Champion ; 6 Std. 3 spd. w/ OD . I posted the pic Last year when it escaped the Barn. At that time it had all the Parts . It was moved to the owner's property that he lives on . The Barn Property did sell and the Stud had to go . It was covered with a Tarp . It ran when Parked in 1979 . I was told he started it a "few years ago" . It may be only good for parts . I'll give you the Phone # from a PM only . Thanx ..