Vented valve covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vented valve covers

What year did Studebaker get rid of the breather and front/top mounted oil filter on the 259 V8 and go to valve covers with breathers on them? I'm considering putting on a remote mounted filter lower on the car for cleaner filter changes and a pair of valvle covers with breathers to clean up the engine compartment.

The Valve covers with breather Oil Caps came with the Full Flow Blocks in mid 1962, there was no longer any need for a Filler Pipe to support an Oil Filter, since the Filter was on the lower right side of the block.

So you can buy '62 1/2, '63 or '64 Valve covers for any Stude. V8, even the four bolt '51 to Mid 1960 Type.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64_HT_for_sale_Mine 008.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1690887 This cleans up the top of the Engine a lot. You would however have to run a hose up to the Oil filler Pipe block-off plate for the easiest Oil Return it helps Oil the Timing Gears, also to the front of the left Head Oil Gallery Fitting for pressure, so I would not put it very Low, on the Inner fender is fine, since it will be facing Down instead of up.

I have not ever had a problem with an Oil mess from the upside down Spin-On Filters.

#1 the Filters have a restrictor valve that reduces dripage.

#2 You can drain the Pan in late afternoon or evening and let it drip all night, then remove the Filter in the Morning when most Oil is out of the Filter.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-06-2014, 12:16 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm not sure when they changed the valve covers.We bought two 62 Daytonas,one in 1972,one in 73.Both were full-flow but still had the filler pipe and no oil caps on the valve covers.The first one was a low milage,original car.

Comment

All '62 V-8 engines had the front standpipe, whether partial flow or full flow. The valve covers with the breather caps started with the '63 engines.

Comment

Can I just run a hose from the DS head to the block off plate when the standpipe is removed? Just for getting it out of the way until I clean and paint the engine. That is if I ever get it running.

Comment

You could do that but no need, just get the blockoff plate, drill and tap it for 1/8" Pipe Thread, insert a 1/8" Pipe Plug, install it and wait on the Pressure fitting and line install until you have the remote Filter and are ready to install it.

Or; do nothing at all until you have everything needed.

Many of these Cars were sold without Oil Filters and diven for years with no major problems unless they did not get often enough Oil changes.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X