PDA

View Full Version : Spanish on door pillar plate...why?

junior
06-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Thought I would start a new thread on this topic to get some more exposure and a definitive answer to this question. The plate mounted on the door pillar underneath the serial number plate on my car (54 Champion coupe) is mostly written in Spanish. The car was built is Hamilton, as has spent it's whole life in Canada. There has been discussion on this thread last week http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?81538-Bill-Wagner-Estate-Auction-Coronach-SK Can anyone provide more information? Does anyone know what this plate is called? What is an accurate English translation of the Spanish? Thanks, Junior

bezhawk
06-06-2014, 09:27 AM
?Que? No comprende.:D

Maybe exports were mostly handled by the Canadian plant?

rockne10
06-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I believe this was well addressed here just five or six years ago! :woot:
I can't recall any of the explanation.

warrlaw1
06-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Industrial Trade Mark Registered #### Trade Mark registered in United States. Looks like maybe a knockdown car assembled in a Spanish speaking country. Neat!

rkapteyn
06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
How do you know that is is Spanish

dictator27
06-06-2014, 09:50 AM
How do you know that is is Spanish

Definitely not French, Robert.

Terry

warrlaw1
06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Jeez, Robert, "Marca? "Heche? Spend some time outside your comfort zone and enjoy some t'killya.

showbizkid
06-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Yeah, it definitely looks as if intended for the Latin American (Spanish-speaking) export market.

Interestingly, "Marca Registrada" was used in U.S. trademark law for many years - it appears on every RCA Victor record jacket from 1950 to the 1970s. That's just one example. But the rest of it, especially identifying the USA as "E.U. de A." is a strictly south-of-the-border language requirement.

Lou Van Anne
06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Didn't Studebaker have an assembly plant in Mexico in the mid-fifties? I think it was in the state of Puebla later taken over by VW? In the late 80s and 90s I traveled in Mexico many times and saw several Studebakers. I have an ad featuring a 52 convertible all in Spanish.

junior
06-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I believe this was well addressed here just five or six years ago! :woot:
I can't recall any of the explanation.

well actually no I didn't do a search...guess I figured if Stu Chapman was stumped about plates on Hamilton assembled cars then the answer really wasn't all that common. just finished doing a search and the DEFINITIVE answer is not there. If you can provide a link to the explanation of why these plates are on Canadian cars that would be great. Thanks in advance for your assistance....junior

warrlaw1
06-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Check out the link Craig provided on the French Studebaker Meet under the Speedster Exports thread. There are French plates there on the door jam (probably in addition to the factory plate on the door pillar). Knock down kits prepared for export markets could easily have the additional plate, even if they were never eventually shipped. Back then California had not yet made it difficult to build the same car for different markets. One car fits all as long as the info was understandable in different languages.

Stu Chapman
06-06-2014, 03:04 PM
well actually no I didn't do a search...guess I figured if Stu Chapman was stumped about plates on Hamilton assembled cars then the answer really wasn't all that common. just finished doing a search and the DEFINITIVE answer is not there. If you can provide a link to the explanation of why these plates are on Canadian cars that would be great. Thanks in advance for your assistance....junior

As Greg has indicated, I'm stumped. I have one of these plates. This all started last week when a Hamilton-built car is being sold out west and has one of these plates. When I acquired my plate a few years ago I asked Richard Quinn for information but he was not able to provide same. It would be great to know why this plate is on certain cars built in Hamilton.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Check out the link Craig provided on the French Studebaker Meet under the Speedster Exports thread. There are French plates there on the door jam (probably in addition to the factory plate on the door pillar). Knock down kits prepared for export markets could easily have the additional plate, even if they were never eventually shipped. Back then California had not yet made it difficult to build the same car for different markets. One car fits all as long as the info was understandable in different languages.

Interesting thought Dave, but somewhere out there someone has the correct answer.

Stu Chapman

Corvanti
06-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Yeah, it definitely looks as if intended for the Latin American (Spanish-speaking) export market. Interestingly, "Marca Registrada" was used in U.S. trademark law for many years - it appears on every RCA Victor record jacket from 1950 to the 1970s. That's just one example. But the rest of it, especially identifying the USA as "E.U. de A." is a strictly south-of-the-border language requirement.

another weird thing is the Spanish for "Made in the United States of America", when she was built in Hamilton. maybe since the corporate headquarters was in South Bend??? or the "trademark" was from the USA?

perhaps someone in Canada placed a order for the exact optioned car that was already built - previously destined for Latin America?

idk...

Dwain G.
06-06-2014, 11:16 PM
If you look at any 1950 or '51 Studebaker car or truck serial number plate, they all have that espanol. These were the long plates that had room for the extra wording. I don't know what initiated the addition of that wording, or why it was mostly discontinued after 1951. Probably due to some new import-export legislation by one of the countries involved. A lawyer specializing in international business/corporate law with an eye for history may be able find out more.

rockne10
06-07-2014, 03:07 AM
Here's a 1951 example from South Bend. Forgot this was in my file. Built in South Bend and sold in Williamsport, PA. You will see the "Marca Registrada" on a whole lot of items other than Studebakers, automobiles, and any hundreds of other items on the market at the time.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/1951/PB260004.jpg

I suppose, it would be more curious to know what the "Marca Industrial Registrada Bajo No. 1629" might have meant! :o

Stu Chapman
06-07-2014, 09:15 AM
If you look at any 1950 or '51 Studebaker car or truck serial number plate, they all have that espanol. These were the long plates that had room for the extra wording. I don't know what initiated the addition of that wording, or why it was mostly discontinued after 1951. Probably due to some new import-export legislation by one of the countries involved. A lawyer specializing in international business/corporate law with an eye for history may be able find out more.

With Dwain's post, we're perhaps getting a little closer to reality. The Canadian plate appears to have been affixed to 53 models, at least from what we're learning. It couldn't have been on 54 models or later until the 60s since the company was known as Studebaker-Packard Corporation. With Dwain's post we learn that the U.S. version is on 50/51 models, perhaps unlikely before that. This is getting interesting.

Stu Chapman

dictator27
06-07-2014, 11:07 AM
With Dwain's post, we're perhaps getting a little closer to reality. The Canadian plate appears to have been affixed to 53 models, at least from what we're learning. It couldn't have been on 54 models or later until the 60s since the company was known as Studebaker-Packard Corporation. With Dwain's post we learn that the U.S. version is on 50/51 models, perhaps unlikely before that. This is getting interesting.

Stu Chapman

I'm surprised no antique Studebaker people have said anything. As long as Studebaker attached the serial number plate to the frame rail, it is almost a case of how many languages would you like. Spanish, Greek, Japanese, Estonian, Romanian, etc. There are literally dozens of countries listed ( in very small print). There two dates for Mexico, 1912 and 1920.

Terry

alex54
06-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Marca registrada literally means registerd mark, or trademark. So...industrial trademark under number 1629. On the left, Studebaker logo, then, "trademark made in US of A".

There is a accurate translation. The why, I don't know. I am very curious myself.

Stu Chapman
06-07-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm surprised no antique Studebaker people have said anything. As long as Studebaker attached the serial number plate to the frame rail, it is almost a case of how many languages would you like. Spanish, Greek, Japanese, Estonian, Romanian, etc. There are literally dozens of countries listed ( in very small print). There two dates for Mexico, 1912 and 1920.

Terry

Canadian-produced cars carried this plate on the driver's side front door pillar below the normal serial plate.

Stu Chapman

dictator27
06-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Canadian-produced cars carried this plate on the driver's side front door pillar below the normal serial plate.

Stu Chapman

Prior to 1940 (I think that's the first year for the door pillar mounted plate) it is all on the serial number plate on the left frame rail. My 27 Dictator is a Walkerville car (serial #1956037) and everything is there.

Terry

rockne10
06-07-2014, 10:09 PM
The frame rail plate as referenced by Terry. This one from 1933.

Chris_Dresbach
06-09-2014, 12:20 AM
I have a nothing special '48 Land Cruiser rusting in my back yard right now that has a Spanish S/N plate. The car was built in South Bend and spent most of its life in Des Moines before coming back to South Bend sometime in the '60s. I've often wondered why Studebaker did that.

rockne10
06-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Chris,
I think you will find this "Marca Registrada" plate on a huge number of American products; not just Studebakers and, for that matter, not just automobiles. As I grew up in the fifties and sixties (that's last century) it was pretty accepted that Spanish was destined to become the major first or second world language. Then they talked of Spanglish! I believe at the time that French was considered the language of diplomacy. At any rate, as a teenager I was advised that if I wanted to learn a foreign language that would serve me in the best stead for the future, it should be Spanish. Fifty years later and Todavía no hablo español, nor spreche ich Deutsch. Heck! I never even properly learned the King's English! ;)