identifying a '56 president

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identifying a '56 president

Okay, as far as I know... A '56 four-door President should have a back seat armrest and the wing-windows in the back doors. Also, I believe it was a long or Y-bodied sedan wasn't it? There's a '56 "President" on the 'bay that looks more like a Commander to me. I mean, I have a '56 Commander and this car is very much the same. Cowl tag on the 'bay car is 56H W6 then looks to say 390 on the second line (it's somewhat obscured by the hood hardware.

It's a beautiful car whatever model it is and I'm sure worth every bit what they're asking for it. It's just I saw the pics of the back seats and doors and my record kinda skipped.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron- no, you are not seeing things.
    In '56 there were two President 4 door sedans.
    The 'Y' body was the long wheel base version with the vents in the windows.
    The 'W' body was the short wheel base version that had none.
    They both came with 289 engines.

I have known this car for over 20 years.
    See that "Skagit Old Car Club" sticker in the back window?
    My Parkview has one just like it...

StudeDave '57
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Also note the Dual Body Side Mouldings with Two Tone paint similar to the President Classic Y Body long wheelbase Sedan, that is the external clue you did not see that makes it a President, that and the 289, otherwise the Original interior with Rubber floor mats and all, was the same or very similar to a Commander.

The "W" Body is the one that has been nicknamed here as the "Vice" President.

James and Stephanie's President is a good buy, and it's a turn key, go anywhere driver that turns heads.

Do we have all the nice Studebakers in the Northwest? No, just the BEST ones!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-04-2014, 11:37 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

'Looks like a good presentation of a nice car. What a wonderful driver!

Another oddity between the Y and W bodies was that the President Classic had a 4-bbl carburetor standard equipment, whereas 4-bbl was a separate option on the shorter W body, such as the subject car.

Again, a pretty car. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

The "W" Body is the one that has been nicknamed here as the "Vice" President.

James and Stephanie's President is a good buy, and it's a turn key, go anywhere driver that turns heads.

I'll agree with a qualifier. As BP said..."nice driver." If I could write the story of the car's fate...It would be bought and given a new home by a young enthusiast with an appreciation of the car's significance. Unless this car gets embroiled in a bidding war...it could be the ideal for a young family to enter the hobby without endangering the mortgage and retirement accounts. The remaining restoration items, to make this a terrific car, make it a perfect platform to learn and hone skills for a more ambitious project.

In my (admittedly,not well qualified) opinion...It represents Studebaker's efforts at the peak of "post-war" automotive development to kinda tone down their rather radical designs. From 1947 through 1955, Studebaker cars had profiles that boldly distinguished them from other makes. Even with the "group think" mentality that continues to this day...those Studebaker designs were a departure from the rest. The funny thing, about the '56/'57 Studebaker sedans, is that they (to me) represent Studebaker's attempt to tone down the radical while other makes were attempting to emulate Studebaker's previous policy. Think about the sharp upright fin on the '57 Chevy, and the folded wing/dual headlights of the '58's. Also, Chrysler was headed into some "fin-flair" of their own. Studebaker, on the other hand, (again, my opinion) pulled back and blended in. These sedans cast a similar shadow of sedans of the era. My memory takes me back to twelve year old eyes, trying to figure out if that was a Pontiac, Olds, or..."Oh, its a Studebaker, that just went by."

Before you guys that were "born" Studebaker fans get your hackles up, please note that, I wasn't. I was an adult before I knew anything much about Studebaker. In fact, until I bought my truck (in 1974), about all I knew was that they were an odd company that built some odd cars and went defunct. It was not until I made friends, joined the SDC, and began paying attention, that I learned of the great legacy that covered so much history. In my opinion (opinion being the important word) Studebaker understated these sedans, requiring a "second-look" to distinguish them from their competition.

To those who eat, breathe, and sleep Studebaker...of course it is unmistakably a Studie...but...back in the day???
          It's kinda like the reverse of my '51 Land Cruiser...unmistakeably Studebaker from a long distance...but, the craftsmanship, quality, and elegance that distinguishes it from the economical four-door champions...takes a second look.

This car is a great example...hope it lands in a safe place.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A quick visual in telling them apart , is that the longer wheelbase Classics had the ribbed aluminum moldings along the bottoms of the doors. (Which I always liked )
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yeah, I noticed the trim and paint. However, trim and paint can be moved and adapted to another car. The shell is the same between the Commander and the "Vice-President". Kind of a silly idea on Studebaker's part. But if it helped to sell more cars... what the hey? '56 and '57 are my favourite years for Studebakers. Most especially the '57 Packard-baker. As to the subject car, I would LOVE to have it! Buuuut, someone else is going to have that pleasure, I'm sure, as all I can afford are Stude-clunkers, not Studebakers. Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1690876

I too am kind of a late-comer to Studebakers. Yeah, there was Gram's car... but that was something that resided under a tarp and only came out one year. I was driving it the year Studebaker folded up. So... yeaaaaah I kinda had some experience with the cars. Maybe that's why I gravitated to the AMC and Jeep line rather than Mum and Dad's Chevys. I liked, and continue to, something a bit different. ...gosh, I wonder if a Jeep pickup's chassis is narrow enough to put a Champ on it?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	emo28.gif
Views:	7
Size:	987 Bytes
ID:	1690877 There's lots of rust-bucket Jeep pickups around...
              Last edited by studeclunker; 06-05-2014, 08:37 AM.
              Ron Smith

Comment

I wish I could convince my wife to go for this one. She wants to replace her 2005 Santa Fe and needs something that could pull a trailer. This would be perfect! All it needs is A/C. She is a little apprehensive about driving an old car but I'm working on that.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

?I wouldn't pull a trailer with that old automatic. They were... problematic in that area.
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                    They were... problematic in that area.
                    My cars are un-aware of that fact. Please do NOT tell them!!!

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sorry Ron, you're wrong there. This was the first year of the Flight-o-Matic. One durable hunk of iron. Ask the guys who race with these.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Certainly is a very handsome ride.

Comment

We've probably tossed this about before, but does anyone here really think that the finned drums that debuted in '56 really afforded an advantage in braking??? They came only on 289-powered cars, but couldn't 259-motivated cars have benefitted (if they really did afford a stopping advantage) just as well?

BTW, I'd be tickled to call this VP mine!
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

They were supposed to reduce brakes fade. This would be most helpful when working the brakes a bit hard, I am pretty sure it does help in those situations.

Yes 259's can benefit also, my White '64 Daytona Hardtop that is now owned by Forum Member in Australia, had a Fresh 259 with New Old Stock Finned Hub & Drum Assemblies on all 4.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Beautiful Car!

Unfortunately not enough room in my garage for all the cars I think are beautiful!!

Comment

Working...
                              X