Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up for answering another rookie question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for answering another rookie question?

Is it possible to find the same (or darn close) fabric used for carpeting, seats, headliner, and those door panel things? Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
    Louisiana
    1950 Commander

If it is for a 1950 Commander, the big classic car Upholstery warehouse in Portland, Oregon should have the material to make the covers for the door panels and seats and the headliner. (Someone else will have to give you the name & number).

But Regal Deluxe Commanders and Land Cruisers would have had Wool carpet which is probably no longer available, I think ordinary Nylon would work fine, like auto upholstery shops have. Historic Automotive (JDP on this forum) may even have a suitable close, but not perfect match.

quote:Originally posted by shugnshay

Is it possible to find the same (or darn close) fabric used for carpeting, seats, headliner, and those door panel things?
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it is for a 1950 Commander, the big classic car Upholstery warehouse in Portland, Oregon should have the material to make the covers for the door panels and seats and the headliner. (Someone else will have to give you the name & number).

But Regal Deluxe Commanders and Land Cruisers would have had Wool carpet which is probably no longer available, I think ordinary Nylon would work fine, like auto upholstery shops have. Historic Automotive (JDP on this forum) may even have a suitable close, but not perfect match.

quote:Originally posted by shugnshay

Is it possible to find the same (or darn close) fabric used for carpeting, seats, headliner, and those door panel things?
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Perhaps this is the place that Rich refers to, but SMS Auto Fabrics has the ability to supply your needs, give them a try http://www.smsautofabrics.com/index.html

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Perhaps this is the place that Rich refers to, but SMS Auto Fabrics has the ability to supply your needs, give them a try http://www.smsautofabrics.com/index.html

John Clements
          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

If you want it dead nuts on, Phantom can do it for $2500 or so, mine is about a third of that, but I don't do the show correct stuff.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT cost to date
            $58,185.77
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            63 Lark 2 door
            58 Packard HT
            56 Golden Hawk
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

If you want it dead nuts on, Phantom can do it for $2500 or so, mine is about a third of that, but I don't do the show correct stuff.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT cost to date
              $58,185.77
              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
              63 Lark 2 door
              58 Packard HT
              56 Golden Hawk
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for all the help, guys. I've been drafted for finding what we need for this car, and just recently, my dad assigned me the task of handling the interior. From what I've gathered at one site (the bullet nose years), I think we've got a Regal Deluxe. I've gotta order that thing from the museum about what originally came on the car. My dad has left it up to me to decide whether or not to go as original as possible. I've read elsewhere that changing stuff (radio, colors, etc.) tends to earn less "points" at car shows. Is this true?

The only thing on this car that isn't original (so we've been told) is two holes cut into the rear for brake lights when the original ones quit working. My dad says going original all the way is way more expensive, but he'll pay for whatever I decide. (I know, lucky girl!) I'm afraid that we'll be forced to change things if I can't find genuine articles, and I'd hate to have paid extra for original stuff, only to have hard to find items things replaced with something different... If given the opportunity, what would you guys choose?

I just want to make her shine, but I'd like for my dad to gain whatever possible for this car, even if it's just a little respect. I'd hate to be "snubbed" for being less than good enough. By the way, I think we'll call her Matilda!

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
                Louisiana
                1950 Commander

Comment

Thanks for all the help, guys. I've been drafted for finding what we need for this car, and just recently, my dad assigned me the task of handling the interior. From what I've gathered at one site (the bullet nose years), I think we've got a Regal Deluxe. I've gotta order that thing from the museum about what originally came on the car. My dad has left it up to me to decide whether or not to go as original as possible. I've read elsewhere that changing stuff (radio, colors, etc.) tends to earn less "points" at car shows. Is this true?

The only thing on this car that isn't original (so we've been told) is two holes cut into the rear for brake lights when the original ones quit working. My dad says going original all the way is way more expensive, but he'll pay for whatever I decide. (I know, lucky girl!) I'm afraid that we'll be forced to change things if I can't find genuine articles, and I'd hate to have paid extra for original stuff, only to have hard to find items things replaced with something different... If given the opportunity, what would you guys choose?

I just want to make her shine, but I'd like for my dad to gain whatever possible for this car, even if it's just a little respect. I'd hate to be "snubbed" for being less than good enough. By the way, I think we'll call her Matilda!

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
                  Louisiana
                  1950 Commander

Comment

Shay, I think you'll find that Studebaker people don't "snub" each other over their choice or quality of car (like some Brand X folks do). This is the friendliest group of car people I've ever been involved with, so don't even worry about that.

I guess you have to ask yourself, what's most important to you personally? Do you want to show the car and win awards? Or do you want to just drive it and have fun?

Your Dad is right - if you want to make it a show car, you'll spend a lot of time and money doing all the little things that only count to show judges. But if you want to just have fun and ride around in a cool-mobile, then go for it! No one will look down on you for it.

Every Studebaker is special. And every Studebaker Driver is welcome.

Have you joined the SDC yet, or your local chapter?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Shay, I think you'll find that Studebaker people don't "snub" each other over their choice or quality of car (like some Brand X folks do). This is the friendliest group of car people I've ever been involved with, so don't even worry about that.

I guess you have to ask yourself, what's most important to you personally? Do you want to show the car and win awards? Or do you want to just drive it and have fun?

Your Dad is right - if you want to make it a show car, you'll spend a lot of time and money doing all the little things that only count to show judges. But if you want to just have fun and ride around in a cool-mobile, then go for it! No one will look down on you for it.

Every Studebaker is special. And every Studebaker Driver is welcome.

Have you joined the SDC yet, or your local chapter?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I'd like to show her off at shows when we can. I can't drive stick, and my dad works offshore a lot, so she won't be driven a whole bunch. Dad plans on driving her a little locally; taking my kids to the malt stand for a burger, etc. But for car shows, we'll have to leave town, and she'd be trailered for that. We want people to be able to appreciate her, and there aren't too many people where he lives (dairy cows, mostly!)

I haven't joined any clubs yet; thought maybe we should actually "drive" the car before joining a driver's club! I did contact a couple who are members of the Louisiana chapter about a local chrome guy. But, other than that, and asking you guys oodles of questions, I've not done much other than reseasrching.

By the way, your blog was one of the first things I came across when I started digging around on the net for restoration info. I made my dad read the part about the sack of rocks! Sorry to hear about your puppy. God bless you.

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
                        Louisiana
                        1950 Commander

Comment

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I'd like to show her off at shows when we can. I can't drive stick, and my dad works offshore a lot, so she won't be driven a whole bunch. Dad plans on driving her a little locally; taking my kids to the malt stand for a burger, etc. But for car shows, we'll have to leave town, and she'd be trailered for that. We want people to be able to appreciate her, and there aren't too many people where he lives (dairy cows, mostly!)

I haven't joined any clubs yet; thought maybe we should actually "drive" the car before joining a driver's club! I did contact a couple who are members of the Louisiana chapter about a local chrome guy. But, other than that, and asking you guys oodles of questions, I've not done much other than reseasrching.

By the way, your blog was one of the first things I came across when I started digging around on the net for restoration info. I made my dad read the part about the sack of rocks! Sorry to hear about your puppy. God bless you.

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
                          Louisiana
                          1950 Commander

Comment

My feelings are that if you want the car to give the impression of authentic, it really won't be that much more expensive. You WILL pay more for THE correct materials, since in all likelyhood those materials have had to of been reproduced solely to make them available to folks seeking to make their car as original as possible. Such intent makes for a pretty small market and consequently - small run, expensive product (materials).
                            Using something "close" will cost you points in genuine Stude-show judging. What you have to come to grips with is the aim of your project. Will it be to have a cool car that gives you a "time-travel" feel to it as you drive around? OR - are you hoping to have a number of trophies for your mantle or garage shelves?
                            Other approaches are having a cool-looking old car with a neat CD-MP3 sound system and funky colors to enjoy as a weekend cruiser - OR a totally tricked out "Resto-Rod" with modern underpinnings (engine, brakes, suspension, etc.) that retains the flavor of it's outrageous styling, but little else. The latter involves more engineering and expertise since you'll be changing so much of the mechanics of the car.
                            One thing for sure - no matter which route you choose - the car's gonna get noticed![]

Things like the original brake lites CAN be fixed. And by "fixed", I don't mean just working replacements found - I mean the actual REPAIR of the originals. Just because someone in the car's past chose to just "go around" the problem doesn't mean that was the only way to fix the problem.[8]
                            I see you mentioned "radio" in your question and lots of folks WANT to have good "tunes" in their old car. Thing is, this situation is complicated be the fact that prior to 1956, Studes had 6volt electrical systems with the system's polarity opposite what it is with 56 and later cars (right thru to today's vehicles). This little impediment CAN be overcome in a 6volt car IF you wanna throw enough money at it, but an easier approach is to convert the car to 12 volts. This conversion is actually pretty simple all in all and can even be done in such fashion to where it takes someone REALLY attentive to detail to spot the difference when looking at the car's mechanicals.
                            Anyway - for us to help you with different points, you first have to define what your goals are with the car. Then we can go from there.

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My feelings are that if you want the car to give the impression of authentic, it really won't be that much more expensive. You WILL pay more for THE correct materials, since in all likelyhood those materials have had to of been reproduced solely to make them available to folks seeking to make their car as original as possible. Such intent makes for a pretty small market and consequently - small run, expensive product (materials).
                              Using something "close" will cost you points in genuine Stude-show judging. What you have to come to grips with is the aim of your project. Will it be to have a cool car that gives you a "time-travel" feel to it as you drive around? OR - are you hoping to have a number of trophies for your mantle or garage shelves?
                              Other approaches are having a cool-looking old car with a neat CD-MP3 sound system and funky colors to enjoy as a weekend cruiser - OR a totally tricked out "Resto-Rod" with modern underpinnings (engine, brakes, suspension, etc.) that retains the flavor of it's outrageous styling, but little else. The latter involves more engineering and expertise since you'll be changing so much of the mechanics of the car.
                              One thing for sure - no matter which route you choose - the car's gonna get noticed![]

Things like the original brake lites CAN be fixed. And by "fixed", I don't mean just working replacements found - I mean the actual REPAIR of the originals. Just because someone in the car's past chose to just "go around" the problem doesn't mean that was the only way to fix the problem.[8]
                              I see you mentioned "radio" in your question and lots of folks WANT to have good "tunes" in their old car. Thing is, this situation is complicated be the fact that prior to 1956, Studes had 6volt electrical systems with the system's polarity opposite what it is with 56 and later cars (right thru to today's vehicles). This little impediment CAN be overcome in a 6volt car IF you wanna throw enough money at it, but an easier approach is to convert the car to 12 volts. This conversion is actually pretty simple all in all and can even be done in such fashion to where it takes someone REALLY attentive to detail to spot the difference when looking at the car's mechanicals.
                              Anyway - for us to help you with different points, you first have to define what your goals are with the car. Then we can go from there.

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X