PDA

View Full Version : Wheels Tire preservation

Pckstude
06-04-2014, 02:10 PM
I have a set of tires that have light to moderate weather checking. Looking for info on what I could use to possibly rejuvenate the rubber a bit. Thanks

StudeRich
06-04-2014, 02:30 PM
You can hide it and make it LOOK better and slightly preserve it with Turtle Wax Tire Prep. clear liquid, but you really can't "Fix" it.
Rubber ages and dry's out which leads to cracks and breaks if loaded or driven.

Warren Webb
06-05-2014, 01:56 AM
If they are "weather checking" then check the date code. No doubt they are over 6 years old. Tires built today seem to have a much shorter life than years ago. If your car is subjected to lots of sunlight, then cover the tires. I use covers that painters use. They have a wire that holds it onto the backside & at least is some protection from U.V rays. I have had 2 tires blow out just sitting here in the yard & am thankful they blew out then & not on the road, both from the same "weather checking."

62champ
06-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Sunlight is the enemy. Below is a tire off a 2009 vehicle that lived in Texas from 2009 to 2012...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/fs/IMG_3511_zpsbcd72717.jpg

Mrs K Corbin
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Yup, I've got tires with less than 1K on them that are worse......
And one Antique Remington from the '50's that's better than anything I own......

Wierd HUH....

Anybody remember the "Worlds Fastest Indian"? He used shoe polish to make the tires look good...... LOL!

studegary
06-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Replace the tires unless they are only used for show, such as in a museum or for a trailered car, and not for street driving.

jclary
06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Well...one factor, unmentioned as I hit the "reply to thread button"...OZONE!:eek: It is an elemental form of oxygen that, like UV rays, occurs naturally. For those who want more detailed information, you can find lots of stuff (technical word) like this...

Exposure to ozone, during a long-term period, significantly increases crack growth rate and shortens life.Due to the stress concentration, elastomer network chains at a crack tip are energetically favorable for reaction with ozone. Ozone reacts with carbon-carbon double bonds in the main polymer chain, causing scission of the chain. :oops:

For the rest of us...OZONE'S BAD:rolleyes: will do.:)

StudeRich
06-05-2014, 07:09 PM
And guess what gives off tons of it....ELECTRIC MOTORS! As in New Electric and Hybrid Cars. :(

You should never allow a Refrigerator, Freezer, Washer or Dryer to be in the Garage with your Classic Car.

jnormanh
06-06-2014, 08:47 AM
And guess what gives off tons of it....ELECTRIC MOTORS! As in New Electric and Hybrid Cars. :(

You should never allow a Refrigerator, Freezer, Washer or Dryer to be in the Garage with your Classic Car.

Refers and freezers normally have totally sealed systems including the electric motor, so no worries there. Open, air cooled electric motors are bad, and stick welding, plasma cutting the worst of all.

bezhawk
06-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Lightning is a major producer of ozone too.....so don't drive your car through a thunderstorm @ 47,000 feet:eek: