Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: LED lamps & flashers

I have ordered L.E.D. for my tail lights on my 51. I have her
    d some say that the turn signals will not flash so planned on wiring them parallel with the ones that are there now.Does anyone see a problem with this. Thanks

I got a flasher from NAPA that was made for LED lights. Several years ago. Don't have part #.

Comment

That will work but NOT that necessary, the Front Turn Signals or the Dash Indicator Light will do the same thing as long as they are Incandescent Bulbs.

Just remember that LED's are directional, so they are only seen well in a straight line, unless they have angled LED's included in a large group.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The flasher works by sensing the draw on the lightbulb. Since the LED's draw almost nothing, the flasher can't "see" them and it doesn't flash. I know you can get a 12v Negative ground flasher that is rated for LED's. I got one when I needed to throw some quick turn signals on my M5 and used LED trailer turn signals. If you are still 6v positive ground... this might do the job for you:
        1955-1964 Bug, 1955-1964 Bus, made in Germany exclusively for Wolfsburg West using current state of the art electronics (no more erratic flashing!!), 6 volt.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Just remember that LED's are directional, so they are only seen well in a straight line, unless they have angled LED's included in a large group.
          Yes! If yours do not come with side emitting diodes you will need to install a couple of internal reflectors.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Please let us know your results. I'm also concerned about the dimness of my tail and stop lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Champ51 View Post
              Please let us know your results. I'm also concerned about the dimness of my tail and stop lights.
              You can improve ALL of your Grounds from the Engine to Frame to the Battery Ground Cable (Braided 00) to the Light Housing grounds.

You also can Paint the inside of the Housings White or install Aluminum Foil in the back of the bulbs, all of which can help without fancy expensive Mods. 6 Volt Positive Ground systems respond very well to GOOD Grounds.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Replaced the original dim bulbs w/ Halogen bulbs from Speedway Motors (NOT quartz halogen which are very, very hot an draw a lot of current - See the comparison in the Speedway catalog)). The halogen bulbs (avail. in both single and dual filiment) are about 50% brighter and draw a bit less power than the regular bulbs - Highly recommended!
                Paul TK

Comment

Does anyone have experience with these 19 LED assemblies (or some other better ones)? It looks like they might be a slick plug in replacement for the older 1157 incandescent bulbs in my 1963 Avanti. I am looking for some brighter turn signal and brake lights without having to modify my original tail light housings.

Comment

I put the red LED tail lights in on my Lark. I actually really like them. Be sure to use the red ones for the tail lights - the white ones aren't bright enough once the red tail light plastic filters out all the rest of the color spectrum. The white ones are good for reverse lamps though. I left my front bulbs incandescent, so I had no issues with blinkers not working.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

LED Tail and Reverse Lights

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                      I put the red LED tail lights in on my Lark. I actually really like them. Be sure to use the red ones for the tail lights - the white ones aren't bright enough once the red tail light plastic filters out all the rest of the color spectrum. The white ones are good for reverse lamps though. I left my front bulbs incandescent, so I had no issues with blinkers not working.
                      JimC, thanks for your first hand report and tip about using the red LED tail lights. I'll go ahead and order some red LED assemblies for the rear lights and some white LED assemblies for my reverse lights. I was planning to leave the front turn signal lights with regular bulbs, for exactly the reason that you cited.

Comment

What is it that these people do NOT understand? CARS maybe?

Quote: "1157 2057 Red 19SMD LED
                        A 1157 replacement Bulb would have staggered locator pins and be a Dual Contact Stop/Tail Bulb.

Therefore, it would not fit in a Back-Up Light single contact socket and you certainly would not, and could not legally use a RED Bulb for a Back-up or Front Parking Lights!

Side Signal? Not a chance!

Do they also fit 2014 Studebakers?
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-21-2014, 05:49 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Two Types of Lamps/Two Different Colors will be installed

StudeRich,

Unless I am mistaken, the combination brake/turn signal bulbs on the Avanti are bulb type 1157, which is a dual filament, offset bayonet base. The backup lights are bulb type 1156, which is a single filament, regular bayonet base. This LED supplier (and other suppliers) sells both types of replacement lamps, white for the backup lights and red or white for the brake/turn signals. JimC was just saying that he thinks the red LED lamps will work better in the brake/turn signal application. I think you are mis-reading things just a bit...

I'll report back to the forum how my purchases and installation work out.

Comment

LED bulbs that fit the 1157 socket have resistors to simulate the load of an incandescent bulb. It should be enough to trigger the bi-metal flasher unit. If you have an issue, use the "digital" flasher from any local auto parts store. Most Studes us the two pin flashers. The digital one are also used when pulling a trailer where there is more load and keeps the flasher from flashing too fast.

You can not use the LED lights for your instruments as you will lose the dimming capabilities.

To dim LEDs you need a pulse-width modulator circuit that limits the current, not the voltage.

You can Use LEDs for the Oil, Amp and high beam indicator lights.

Do not use the LED on the turn signal light on a single turn signal indicator. That bulb needs to have current flow in both directions to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
                              StudeRich,

Unless I am mistaken, the combination brake/turn signal bulbs on the Avanti are bulb type 1157, which is a dual filament, offset bayonet base. The backup lights are bulb type 1156, which is a single filament, regular bayonet base. This LED supplier (and other suppliers) sells both types of replacement lamps, white for the backup lights and red or white for the brake/turn signals. JimC was just saying that he thinks the red LED lamps will work better in the brake/turn signal application. I think you are mis-reading things just a bit...

I'll report back to the forum how my purchases and installation work out.
                              No I totally understand what needs to be bought for our cars, I just question their terrible one size does it ALL WRONG advertising.

If one did not know these types and Bulb numbers and just bought by their info, there would be a whole lot of problems, as One contact bulbs can't do the same job as Two and vice versa. The quoted statement says it all, and incorrectly.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X