Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: 1964-1966 Part Oddity

Time for a Pop Quiz.

The first person to post the correct answer to this question will receive two unused NOS Studebaker Red Ball stationery envelopes for their "smalls" collection:

What Chassis Part, per Studebaker Parts Books (a key point), was developed for 1964 Lark-types equipped with R3 engines and was then later used on many 1965 and 1966 models? You don't have to give the Part Number; just an adequate description of the part.

Background: When someone ordered an R3 engine in a 1964 Lark-type, there were a few components that had to be developed to accommodate that engine in those body styles. It would seem like the money spent to develop and manufacture any such parts for R3s in 1964 Lark types was wasted, since only one such 1964 model year car was built; Nelson Bove's Strato Blue Commander 2-door.

But it turned out that the develop money wasn't wasted after all, because that very part was needed for, and used on, many 1965 and 1966 models!

What was it?

(Nelson Bove is prohibited from participating!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Craig

Comment

Flanged axles.

Chris.

Comment

Boy, Craig; you got me! That's what I was thinking of, of course, but forgot we had already done it.

Oh, well....BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
          Flanged axles. Chris.
          Chris; you are also correct!

Although I was thinking of the radiator piece, flanged axles is also correct. (Actually, flanged axles were "kinda" optional for R1s and R2s, as evidenced by the fact that the early-production Bonneville Record-Setters had them, but your answer is nonetheless correct.)

Post your mailing address in Australia (or via a forum PM if you don't want it posted) and I'll send you a couple of the envelopes. BP

Comment

Ahhh...yes the upper air deflector for 6 cylinder 1965-66 models. I didn't think of that either!

I was always impressed by how clever the factory engineers were to utilize that obscure piece of tooling to accommodate the longer Mckinnon 6 cylinder engines into the engine bay.

Thanks Bob...I always enjoy your quizzes!

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Chris; you are also correct!

Although I was thinking of the radiator piece, flanged axles is also correct. (Actually, flanged axles were "kinda" optional for R1s and R2s, as evidenced by the fact that the early-production Bonneville Record-Setters had them, but your answer is nonetheless correct.)

Post your mailing address in Australia (or via a forum PM if you don't want it posted) and I'll send you a couple of the envelopes. BP
              I could be wrong but I'm almost positive the R 3 axles were much beefier than those used in the '65 and '66 cars. The housings on the R 3 were 2 3/4" and I think the standard 44 and those on '65 and '66 were 2 1/2". Ted

Comment

Most likely used the truck rearend.
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                  I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive R3 axles were much beefier than those used in the '65 and '66 cars. The housings on the R3 were 2 3/4" and I think the standard 44 and those on '65 and '66 were 2 1/2". Ted
                  'Good info, Ted; thanks. BP

Comment

I remember that Club Member Alex Magdaleno had a real R3 Flanged Axle Assembly in his Original Teal Color '54 Starliner that he got from Paxton Products Div. in Santa Monica and it was definitely a very "Special" creation with huge wheel bearings as Ted said, so it was NOT used on '65-'66's.

I am not sure if Alex could have found one for his current modified Stude. Powered Red '54 Starlight Coupe or not, that would be quite unlikely this many years later.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      I remember that Club Member Alex Magdaleno had a real R3 Flanged Axle Assembly in his Original Teal Color '54 Starliner that he got from Paxton Products Div. in Santa Monica and it was definitely a very "Special" creation with huge wheel bearings as Ted said, so it was NOT used on '65-'66's.
                      Yes the axle shafts were larger and they used a bearing that had been used on some Ford axles.
                      David L

Comment

Yes the bearing ends on the axle tubes were different. The bolts holding the backing plates were special, and 1/2" . The bearings were Ford F100 (150)? source I found were from 1970, and a sealed bearing
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The backing plates are also different.
                          David L

Comment

Working...
                          X