Flywheel for 1962 289 hawk engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Flywheel for 1962 289 hawk engine

New to the forums so please forgive my ignorance. I inherited a 1951 champion business coupe from my father who just passed away. He had not had it out for over 12 years and i am now having to replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel so that I can get it running and remember the good ol days in it. However it has a 1962 hawk 289 engine with a 3 speed with overdrive and a jeep transmission. But neither I nor the mechanic I am having do the work (he ran around with my dad and owns a transmission shop and knows as much about the car as anyone) nor anyone else including the auto parts stores in my area know where to get a flywheel for it. Anyone know of a replacement?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

What is the problem with the flywheel that it has to be replaced? Have you had a competent machine shop tell you it can't be resurfaced and reused? Most can.

Clutches and pressure plates are wear parts and readily available for cheap.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Lots of Stude. owners and hoarders have used Flywheels laying around that can be resurfaced and used.
      Being a Member of your local SDC chapter will be a big help.
      I realize you have not had the time and or maybe inclination to join yet, but if you are keeping the Car you will get much enjoyment out of Membership and a lot of help.

But we do need to know if it is the Starter Ring Gear on the Flywheel you need, the entire Flywheel or the Clutch Pressure Plate maybe. The 289's had a 10 1/2 Inch Clutch.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Flywheel resurfacing is a pretty standard procedure on a clutch disc replacement and can be done by most any shop that has a brake lathe. Even faulty ring gears can be replaced on the original flywheel. Then again--and you will need knowledgeable input--there will be the occasion when the flywheel must be replaced. Maybe it has been severely heat stressed and cracked, or already surfaced in the past to be beyond tolerance. Very rare but not unheard of. So...your mechanic has determined that the flywheel must be replaced because...___________?
        Last edited by rockne10; 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Flywheel resurfacing is a pretty standard procedure on a clutch disc replacement and can be done by most any shop that has a brake lathe.
          Your opinions and results may vary, but I don't recommend using the brake lathe attachment grinding method or for that matter a surface grinder or engine lathe to resurface a flywheel. None of those work as well as a real flywheel grinding machine. The real deal doesn't cost that much more and will give a much superior finish and proper confirmation. BTDTNA.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I second Jacks' statement that you don't want to turn a flywheel have it blanchard ground.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'm curious about the "Jeep transmission" statement and would like to know more about that.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                I'm curious about the "Jeep transmission" statement and would like to know more about that.
                That "Jeep Transmission" reference MAY have come from the fact that it COULD have a Jeep Top Cover with a Floor Shift on the stock Stude. T-86 3 Speed.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If I knew where in Indiana you live, I might be able to help you out.

Comment

I live in Kokomo. I just got back from vacation today(I was without cell phone service in Alaska) and found out my mechanic fixed the problem and and the car is running great but my buddy who picked it up didn't get any specifics on what the mechanic did.

I took the clutch kit and flywheel from the car to Oreilly's before I left on vacation. My uncle (father's brother who helped dad with the car some) told me it was a jeep transmission so i told that to the guys at the store and they were helpful and matched a Jeep clutch kit to what I brought in. They could not find a flywheel. I gave the mechanic the clutch kit and told him that if he couldn't find a flywheel then try to resurface it (my buddy suggested that i tell my mechanic that; the flywheel was well grooved and the rings had been ground down so my mechanic advised me to try and find a flywheel in better shape. I was attempting to do that on my own by reaching out to all of you and researching the issue and try to learn some of this stuff on my own since I am a newby). My mechanic said at that time that the kit should work and if he couldn't find a flywheel then he would try to resurface it.

I don't know at this point what the mechanic did or if he used the clutch kit I provided. I am going to talk to him tomorrow to get the scoop.

i am very much in the learning process and really do appreciate all of the comments. I do need to find a close Stude chapter to join because the car will be going to my son and I would like to pass on as much knowledge as I can to him. I will keep you all updated and appreciate the comments.

Comment

Your son will turn heads with that car for sure! Welcome to the forum Marvin. I hope we all can help you & your son with any questions or comments.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

There is a chapter in Indianapolis and one in South Bend.

Comment

Car starts much easier and is running great. Clutch is adjusted nicely compared to before. I talked to the mechanic today and he enlightened me on some information. It has a 8 inch ford rear end and a 6 bolt jeep top loader transmission with a bolted on overdrive. He had to take back the clutch kit i bought and he got a Ford 10 1/2 inch pressure plate and matched with a 1971 Chevy Camaro disc. He said it has a Studebaker throw-out bearing. He did smooth the flywheel by grinding. He also replaced the rotor button (dad had one in his tool box he left in the trunk .

It's been fascinating learning what I have so far and have much to go because I plan on making some minor changes in time. I really appreciate the kindness everyone has shown me on the forum and look forward to any comments or questions and future discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin7 View Post
                            /Cut/He also replaced the rotor button (dad had one in his tool box he left in the trunk /Cut/
                            Good to hear that you got the Car back and Running/Driving. This has me scratching my head though.: "Rotor Button"?

You are not talking about the Distributor ROTOR are you? I would think that it would be some part of the Clutch System.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, the distributor rotor. That is just what he called it. Sorry. Some of this language is foreign to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X