H20 Hard or Soft??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: H20 Hard or Soft??

The neighbors sprinkler was on and some of the spray got on my car and left water marks.

What causes this, and how do I remove them?

A product called Nothin's Better will remove water stains from your glass. You can find it on line.

Comment

Calcium carbonate deposits. The internet is a wide open place to find things...

Polishing compound works also.

Mike

Comment

Hard water deposits on glass are easily removed with a 50/50 mix of common white vinegar and distilled water. Have to use it all the time in this country. So far it has never hurt my paint either but I usually just use plain old car wax to remove them from the painted surface.

Comment

I usually just wet the area again with clear water and dry with a Chamois, this must be the CASO method!

You must have some of the highest Mineral content water on the Planet, most water spots that were not removed before drying are not quite so noticeable with softer water. It is worse on dark Colors however.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It appears Sam is embarrassed to include where he lives in his profile but, I can assure you, some parts of the country cannot avoid the hard water without treatment.
            Up until a couple dozen years ago I got my water from a small local provider who was tapped in to a mountain stream. WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL AGUA, AND NO SPOTS !
            Then they were bought by the municipal authority and they pumped our good water to their treatment plant to be mixed with the water they were getting from wells drilled in to all the local limestone. AACK ! Now we must wash in the shade, never in the sun, and chamois immediately.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
              A product called Nothin's Better will remove water stains from your glass. You can find it on line.
              Sorry to vehemently disagree, but Nothins Better is an abrasive. Many years ago, I used it to remove water spots from my windshield. It really did the job, but left fine swirl and scratches on the glass. It made driving at night very difficult. Although the glass did not have any cracks or pits, I had to replace the windshield just so I could see at night.
              Just a caution from my experience. Your results may vary.
              sals54

Comment

Brooklyn New York......Dyker Heights......where everything is ITALIAN/SICILIAN...AND THE BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD IS EATEN!! RIGHT SAL????
                Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                it appears sam is embarrassed to include where he lives in his profile but, i can assure you, some parts of the country cannot avoid the hard water without treatment.
                Up until a couple dozen years ago i got my water from a small local provider who was tapped in to a mountain stream. Wonderful, beautiful agua, and no spots !
                Then they were bought by the municipal authority and they pumped our good water to their treatment plant to be mixed with the water they were getting from wells drilled in to all the local limestone. Aack ! Now we must wash in the shade, never in the sun, and chamois immediately.

Comment

On the body not the glass.
                  Originally posted by brian6373 View Post

Comment

Sam, wouldn't happen to know Tony Varriano?
                    Any simple polish should do the trick (NOT WAX!). Note that polish is just the finest of the abrasives, and there is no harm in spending a little bit on a quality product. Clay bar may be overkill but cannot damage any paint. Afterwards, you will want to give a good soft detergent wash (some liquid dish detergent, not Tide powder) and then a protective wax.
                    As previously noted, if your area is prone to hard water, wash in the shade when the car surface is cool and chamois immediately; then wax. You'll be glad you did.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                    X