Plastic Protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Plastic Protection?

Does anyone know if there is a kind of plastic cling film, (or any other flexible plastic) like the stuff that protects I-pads, tablets, etc, that would be impervious to DOT 3 brake fluid?...........until I can get the proper master cyl gasket and bail, I need to stop fluid from running down the outside of the master cylinder and killing my inner fender paint!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

DOT 3 is packaged in HDPE bottles so normal cling wrap might work but is lower in molecular weight and has cling additive that would be sensitive to brake fluid. There may still be some PVC wrap around but I've been away for too long to know.

As a suggestion, Put some DOT 3 in a glass jar and take a strip of about any film you can find and stick it in. You'll know shortly what will work.

You might also make a gasket from good gasket material, either sheet or goop (technical term for liquid based), and use bailing wire to cinch it down. Bailing wire is the metal equivalent of duct tape.

Bob

Comment

Back in the early '90s I worked for a company building plastic injection molds. One mold was for bins to hold and distribute whole coffee beans in supermarkets (it is still a major brand). The problem was the syrup that the flavored beans were soaked in was eating the plastic! In our clean-room we had all the syrups in individual glass trays with different formulations of plastic strips, trying to find a plastic that would hold up. After seeing the corrosive nature of the "flavorings" I quit drinking the coffee.

As as for the master cylinder, I would make a gasket out of cork for the time being. A lot of the older master cylinders with a screw-on top used a cork gasket. Neal

Comment

Or you could change over to DOT5 brake fluid that is not going to eat your paint.

Overkill for just this problem, but it does bring other advantages.

Disadvantages - more expensive than DOT3, and it seemed to kill my hydraulic brake light switch on a regular basis. And I hate the feel of it!
        Last edited by pbrown; 06-03-2014, 04:33 AM.

Comment

A more direct answer to your actual question may be the new 3M Paint Defender Spray Film. It's supposed to protect paint - don't know if it is impervious to brake fluid.

look at http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html

Comment

You could also contact Eastwood & ask about their new product, "ElastiWrap" which is sprayed on with either rattle cans or spray gun. Their demo video says how 6 coats make it available to peel off even after years of exposure. If it will hold up to brake fluid I don't know, you'll have to call them & ask.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Try McMaster Carr or Grainger for sheet silicone rubber. I have a 1/16" thick sheet in my tool box that I used bit by bit to make various gaskets.

Jim
              Studebaker1962

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                You could also contact Eastwood & ask about their new product, "ElastiWrap" which is sprayed on with either rattle cans or spray gun. Their demo video says how 6 coats make it available to peel off even after years of exposure. If it will hold up to brake fluid I don't know, you'll have to call them & ask.
                Now that you've said that, you've reminded me that plasti-dip may be a solution.

Plastidip is the darling of the "tuner" crowd, who use it as a customizing tool. Spray a rubberized coating on to change color, then peel it off later when you change your "decorating sense"

Plastidp was originally for coating tool handles, so it may be solvent resistant. Try a sample with DOT3 to see.

Big advantage is it's available everywhere (Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, FLAPS, etc)

Comment

Hawklover
                  I would first determine why you have fluid leaks from your MC and repair/replace as needed. I use DOT 5 w/o problems. As for the brake light switch, a buddy in the business suggested I put a few drops of DOT 3 fluid in the switch before installation. It has helped the switches last a bit longer.
                  Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                  X