PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendations for Chassis Black Paint

wdills
05-30-2014, 07:09 PM
I am hoping to paint the frame and chassis parts this summer. I was thinking about Eastwood ceramic chassis black, but I have read some reviews stating that it was very easy to chip. So no I am looking for something else. What have you used with good results?

Thanks
Wayne

swvalcon
05-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Has the frame been sand blasted or are you going over rust makes a big difference. If it's sand blasted I would go with SPI brand black epoxy. The nice thing about that is if anything should happen to it you can just spot it backin and you cant tell. Going over rust I would use a por 15 type product.

1st time stude
05-30-2014, 08:19 PM
I second on the POR-15, stuff is hard as nails and if prepped properly really comes out nice

bezhawk
05-30-2014, 09:52 PM
I like a product called Chassis Saver. Super tough you can hit it with a hammer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kTrlfFbLnE

njonkman
05-31-2014, 07:10 PM
I used Chassis Saver on my Champion and love it. Real tough stuff.
Nick

Charlie D
05-31-2014, 10:30 PM
If I were painting mine again I would use the SPI black epoxy primer.

Charlie D.

Chris_Dresbach
06-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I did the underside of my Lark with POR 15. It covers well and will last forever.

wdills
06-01-2014, 07:48 PM
The frame will be blasted. I was planning to use SPI epoxy and then a top coat of some type. Maybe a single stage urethane.

The Chassis Saver and POR-15 tech sheets say they can be sprayed over blasted metal. Using either of these means no epoxy.

My concern is how well the POR-15 or Chassis Saver will bond to the blasted metal. I know POR-15 doesn't stick to slick metal, but I don't have experience with it over blasted metal.

Anyone have experience with either product over blasted metal?

jts359
06-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Bill Hirsh chassis black , He is on Littleton ave in Newark NJ. I've Been using his products for years , Good stuff, Ed

bezhawk
06-01-2014, 09:02 PM
The frame will be blasted. I was planning to use SPI epoxy and then a top coat of some type. Maybe a single stage urethane.

The Chassis Saver and POR-15 tech sheets say they can be sprayed over blasted metal. Using either of these means no epoxy.

My concern is how well the POR-15 or Chassis Saver will bond to the blasted metal. I know POR-15 doesn't stick to slick metal, but I don't have experience with it over blasted metal.

Anyone have experience with either product over blasted metal?
I always use an acid etch followed by a zinc chromate primer.

jclary
06-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Well...I've never sold paint. However, I sold tons of stuff to spray or apply paint. Things may have changed since I've been out of that business, but, for years, the cheapest nastiest paint was black chassis paint. In the real world, it was the last thing folks thought about when buying a vehicle, rarely ever seen unless the vehicle was being worked on, and the first thing to get dirty and be neglected.

Even today, when vehicles are now getting corrosion treatment, the actual chassis paint is still probably not the highest grade. If I were to paint a chassis today, I probably would want to spend the money on a good epoxy primer, then cover it with some gummy enamel that retains enough flexibility to not chip or crack easily. It really depends on how you plan to use the vehicle. For a trailered show car, (like the ones you see with mirrors placed to show off the underside) I would use a high gloss top-coat.

On my vehicles, no more than I drive them these days, I refuse to supply a great chassis paint job. The spiders and wasps that live there wouldn't be any happier, and the mice that use them for obstacle courses and playgrounds would still pee and crap on them. If I decide to drive one to a show...a little rattle can Rustoleum temporarily freshens it up nicely...spider webbs and all.;)

swvalcon
06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
If you will be sand blasting the frame just get a gallon of SPI. black epoxy with the gallon of hardner. Mix 1-1 and only mix up what you need as you go as once mixed it will harden up. Spray two-three good coats of epoxy with about 30 min between coats and you are good to go. You do not need to top coat with anything else. Look up SPI paint on their web site and call the thec line and talk to Berry or Andy they will answer everything you need to know.