Hood Release Cable on '59 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Release Cable on '59 Lark

I own a '59 Lark for the past 23 years and love the car. Yesterday, when I tried to open the hood, the cable release didn't pop the hood. That's the first time it's ever happened.
    I seem to vaguely remember that, a number of years ago, someone posted a procedure for releasing the hood from under the front end, namely behind the radiator.
    Does anyone remember that, or has anyone of my Forum colleagues dealt with this problem before?
    Of course, if I can do the job without ruining the grille, that would be a plus.
    I'd appreciate any help.

Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Does the handle still feel as if the cable is still attached to something?
    If so, and if you have not yet done so, your first step is to have a friend pull out and hold out the inside handle, whilst you try to coax the hood opened.
    For example gently pressing down on the hood, trying to wiggle it back and forth, etc.
    If that makes it pop, then you can investigate the cause.
    Failing that, I have always just "fished" from below with things like REALLY long handled mechanic's screw drivers (you know, the ones that are really pry bars masqurading as screw drivers) and such.
    Its been awhile, but I believe that your target is that inch or inch and a half square opening in the shelf in front of the top radiator tank.

Comment

If you read down a few posts in this thread it should help you out.
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-see-the-video
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Yup, good pictures!

Comment

Yes! The subject seems to come up often. Someone just asked the same thing one week ago.
          I just went in to the "Advanced Search" in the upper right corner and it produced this response.

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'd just like to thank my friends on this Forum. Today, I got the hood release to work. It seems that the cable to open the hood latch was not secure. I took care of that, lubricated the mechanism and now the hood release works well.
            Thanks again guys.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Added a title in my post which is within the link of Post 3. Maybe that will aide in searches
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X