PDA

View Full Version : eBay find: Restored '36 4 door; BIN $59k

southbend
05-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Nice car. But $59K? Really? Apologies if the owner is a SDC member and/or on this forum. But even if this is what the owner has in it, $59k for a '36 4 door is unrealistic, IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Other-QUALITY-AS-BUILT-RESTORATION-RUNS-GREAT-CLEAN-SUICIDE-DOORS-6CYL-4SPD-NICE-/281349319133?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4181b9e9dd&item=281349319133&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

DEEPNHOCK
05-30-2014, 06:56 AM
Why do you say that?
The market will speak as to the value.
If someone buys this, then you will know what the market/individual will pay.
To post your opinion as to value during a current auction is poor form, and possibly destructive to someone elses marketing and sales efforts.
You would not appreciate it if someone did this to you when you are selling something, even with a faux apology attached.
Personally, I root the auction on!
Remember NADA, Blue Book, and even Ebay to some extent ... That's just a guide.
Selling horses is the same way...
They are only worth what the cancelled check said.
This one may well prove your 'opinion' true.
But let's not queer up someone else's auction while it is going on..

southbend
05-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean to misbehave or exhibit poor form. To the moderators: please feel free to delete this thread.

EssexExport
05-30-2014, 07:08 AM
A museum quality or nearly so automobile I'd venture to say.

allstateguy
05-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Beautiful restoration!

jclary
05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean to misbehave or exhibit poor form. To the moderators: please feel free to delete this thread.

Well Mark...Not so hasty. Perhaps you are guilty of "first thought honesty,"...decades old "price perspective," or "insensitivity to delicate mind-sets." but I don't see any misbehavior. There are many worse things posted all over these forums. Besides...it's good to have someone take the heat off my mischief every now and then.

As for as this car...this ebay contract vendor has many examples of cars posted at top dollar prices. They provide listings with slick graphics that promote themselves about as much as the cars they are listing. While I love this car, there are a few issues that, to me, would require some very up close and personal examination for what is not seen. For all the money spent on the cosmetics...the wiring is horrible. Looks like part of the original wiring harness lies fraying and tattered along the inner fender. On one photo of the underside, it is obvious that the wheel cylinder has been leaking. The starter cable looks undersized. A window crank handle has fallen off, and the steering wheel has several cracks.

On the "cool factor" side...I love the crank out windshield, pod headlights, grille (with the classy badge) and those big fenders. The dash and horn button...art deco elegance. However, if you are going to represent the machine at a price higher than the average household yearly income...take time to cover the details. Perhaps this car will capture the imagination of some oil rich magnate, Leno, Gates, or recently cash flush sports "figger."

Anyway...I agree with EssexExport...it is museum quality. I'd be willing to bet that a large amount of the cars sitting in museums, wouldn't run twenty miles on the highway without revealing problems.

Commander Eddie
05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Judging from what I am seeing at the big auctions, I would expect a car of this caliber to sell for that. The big players out there in the collector car world would have no problem with that price, or more, if they want the car. And who wouldn't it's beautiful.

RareBird
05-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Yea, what he said ! :)