Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling Jack Vines.. Stude Head Mods on the HAMB ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Calling Jack Vines.. Stude Head Mods on the HAMB ??

Hey Jack,
    Just wondering about the head mods that were going on in the HAMB forum. Do you know if any further work has been done on the intake side of those heads? I never saw the exhaust side completely done, but it appeared that the exhaust was farther along than the intake. One of the questions that I had concerned the head bolts. Did all the head bolts clear the machine work, or was more work needed? Also, given the increased flow rates achieved in the process, any chance some of this work may end up on a test mule to see how much power might be gained? It appears the top end of the rpm scale will be greatly enhanced by the work. They end up looking very much like the cathedral ports on the LS heads. Comments???
    sals54

Really Sal, you actually go to the HAMB?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You talking about ZennDogs heads?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Rich, you would be surprised at how many folks who frequent the SDC forum also frequent the HAMB. In fact, I would not be surprised if some of our staunch "stock only/no modifications" folks also find their way over to the HAMB - incognito of course!
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Yes, Rich - I login every night. So do a lot of people from here, AND even from the AACA Forum (and we know how some of those guys can get).

Yes, the guy who owns the HAMB is kind of a jerk, and there are a lot of self-appointed bouncers polluting the place. But one thing is for sure - everyone on there loves old cars and knows a lot about old cars - even Studebakers.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
            Yes, Rich - I login every night. So do a lot of people from here, AND even from the AACA Forum (and we know how some of those guys can get).

Yes, the guy who owns the HAMB is kind of a jerk, and there are a lot of self-appointed bouncers polluting the place. But one thing is for sure - everyone on there loves old cars and knows a lot about old cars - even Studebakers.
            There is arguably not a better forum than the HAMB for overall fabrication and mechanical creativity. As with Chris, I log on at least once a day and see a lot of our members contributing.

Ryan, the forum guy??, has a list of things that are not allowed and sticks to them. Stay within the parameters and it's a good place to look around. Certainly a "wider variety" of posters and opinions than here.

Bob

Comment

I have crossed paths with him in the past.
              Seems a 1953 Stude powered Stude is too new for him (especially when you put a spoiler on it)...
              He blew a whole tech thread off the forum because it was "not traditional enough"...

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              There is arguably not a better forum than the HAMB for overall fabrication and mechanical creativity. As with Chris, I log on at least once a day and see a lot of our members contributing.

Ryan, the forum guy??, has a list of things that are not allowed and sticks to them. Stay within the parameters and it's a good place to look around. Certainly a "wider variety" of posters and opinions than here.

Bob

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

FWIW, a local SDC member, Jim Allen furnished a junk head, which I took down to SFO to be machined on Rich Fox's mill to some ideas he, Zenndog and I came up with. Then, it was shipped back east to Tom Covington for flow testing, so it was a team effort.

The head modifications you referenced were strictly experimental to see how much air a Stude bowl and valve could pass if the port was opened without worrying about hitting water or pushrods. The resultant head might have been possible to run in an alcohol dragster, but not on anything which would have to carry coolant.

FWIW, we also tested one modification which was feasible; a pair of intake ports which had the divider removed all the way down to the turn. That flowed well and if I ever built a max effort supercharged engine, that's the way I'd go.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I have crossed paths with him in the past. Seems a 1953 Stude powered Stude is too new for him (especially when you put a spoiler on it)...He blew a whole tech thread off the forum because it was "not traditional enough"
                  Yeah.... Ryan is.... capricious.
                  I've been banned twice for life.... simply because I won't polish his butt, or for pointing out his shortcomings as a human being.
                  New nickname, new password - back in business the next day.
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Chris - Jeff

Interesting input. I guess 'cause I don't post much there I haven't been exposed to that side of the coin. Apparently my view is a bit myopic.

Good input, Bob

Comment

Oh, I'm not bothered by it all...
                      Just a lesson learned..... and contributions to their forum that they won't get.
                      Their loss... Not my loss.
                      And all in all... It's a forum. A busy forum at that. Almost too busy for casual, occasional reading.

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      Chris - Jeff
                      Interesting input. I guess 'cause I don't post much there I haven't been exposed to that side of the coin. Apparently my view is a bit myopic.
                      Good input, Bob

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

Their loss... Not my loss.
                        That's for sure. Their loss.

Comment

sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                            Yeah.... Ryan is.... capricious.
                            I've been banned twice for life.... simply because I won't polish his butt, or for pointing out his shortcomings as a human being.
                            New nickname, new password - back in business the next day.
                            I had a similar experience with Ryan.
                            Also that "not traditional" attitude seems to be ribbing off on some of my buds. Personally, I don't care.

Comment

Kind of irked me when the long running and informative S-10 chassis conversion thread was deep sixed as being 'non-traditional'.
                              Funny enough though, at least one of those S-10 based conversion projects continued unremarked has garnered hundreds of posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X