PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Sharing this great O.D. tip

K Russell
05-29-2014, 01:14 PM
I had gone through the usual routine of trying to diagnose the problem with the O.D. in my Flight Hawk, Trudy. Followed every step of the flow chart in the shop manual, double checked, still no luck. Everything appeared to be OK but still no luck. I resigned myself to pulling the solenoid to take it apart as I'd read about in another post on this forum and crawled under the car last week. While under there I noticed the lever that the O.D. cable attached to wasn't looking quite properly positioned, and since this car had sat through most of it's previous ownership, wondered if maybe that was the issue. I sprayed the pivot area with lube and tapped it lightly with a small ball peen hammer, then moved the cable in and out a couple times. The O.D. lever would now go all the way in whereas before it was sticking out about an inch. I finally got to take Trudy out today and whaddaya know? O.D. works like a charm! For anyone who's bought an O.D. car that's been sitting many years, as this one had been, here's something to look for. Worked for me! :D

StudeRich
05-30-2014, 02:08 AM
If I read this correctly you did not move the O.D. Lever forward and back which is the way it travels and MUST be ALL the way back to operate O.D. correctly. You pushed it INTO the Tranny?
Something does not sound right about that, there is a shift shaft Seal in there and I would think if the shaft is loose enough to move in 1 Inch, it will Leak and come out again. :confused:

Ron Dame
05-30-2014, 07:16 AM
I think he meant the lever on the dash, not the overdrive lever...at least that's the way I read it.

Mrs K Corbin
05-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't even have the push-pull, mine stays in OD position.... , just have a switch hooked up to the soleniod when I need it, I got tired of screwing with the electrics.:whome:

K Russell
05-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes, I meant the cable all the way forward.

Commander Eddie
05-30-2014, 11:39 AM
OD fixes are almost always something simple. They are very robust and dependable so that makes sense. It is just surprising how many different "simple" fixes there are.