Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door hinge pins

Elsewhere on the forum there was a discussion regarding
    rebuilding door hinge pins, but nothing about how to do it.
    I managed to get the driver's side door hinges off my 58
    Hawk and want to replace or rebuild them for a better door
    fit. I can only find one nos one (top) and it's expensive.
    I do have two new hinge pins (from CE) but there was also
    an earlier reference to replacing the bushings? Does
    anyone know where to get these; also if anyone has done this
    rebuild procedure before would appreciate your input and help.
    Thanks,

Joe D.

I have a 53K which should be similar to your Hawk. The K did not have any bushings from the factory. After number of years and miles the doors start to droop and pop when opening and closing, so I got some oilite bronze bar stock and made my own bushings. Now there are a number of plastics and urethanes that would do almost as good but you will have to do that yourself or find someone that will rebuild it for you.

Comment

The Studebaker truck hinges can be rebuilt using pin and bushing kits meant for repairing Chevy car or pickup hinges from the '70 through the '80s. Not sure the exact year range, but a LOT of them can be used. Pin length varie from model to model, but the bushings are mostly the same, I think. Take a Stude hinge with you, and go find a friendly Chevy parts man.

I believe you willl be able to use the same kits to rebuild Stude car hinges. You will have to bore the hole in the moving leaf of the hinge out oversize to accept the bushings, and also grind flats around each end of the hole, because the Chevy bushings have flanges on them for thrust loads. All you really need is a drill press and bench grinder.

The real hard part can be getting the OLD pin out, if it has rusted solid in the forged leaf, and then sheared off top and bottom. The hinge still "works" in that case, but is sloppy, as it is just pivoting on nubbins.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I sent my to Phil Harris at Fairborn. They are holding up good so far.

Comment

Any body shop that's been in business for a while is accustomed to replacing pins and bushings in the Chevys in less than a half hour and should have a variety of sizes on hand.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:1.5-2.0 flat rate hours per hinge
            Yeah,,,flat rate. But I've seen my guy replace many a set in less than a half hour. To him, time is money and thirty years of experience has taught him some tricks.

That's not to say the Stude hinge would not take some additional attention.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You can usually find a variety of these in the Help section at most chain parts stores.

Comment

My grandad took the hinges off of the '63 GT Hawk recently, and took them to a local machine shop to have them rebuilt. Haven't gotten them back yet though. I'll post how well they work when we get them installed. [^]

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                X