wheel studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel studs

I am needing to replace the lug studs on the 55 Champion. I have separated the hub from the drum but can't get the old studs to budge. Should I heat them and press them out? I am concerned about damage to the hub. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by longtops; 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM. Reason: wrong area

You need a tool called a "swage cutter." this will cut the swage off of the studs without harming the drum.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have no personal experience but have twice watched my mechanic remove the left side studs from the assembled hub/drum to replace them with righty-tighty studs. Utilizing a brass drift and a hand sledge he excised them with one hit each. Your results may vary so... trust a professional, and expect him/her to make it right!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have done it this way, and got away with it, but it's not right. The swage on the stud, when forced through the hole, stretches it oversize slightly, and the replacement studs will not fit as tightly as they should. If a wheel nut gets stuck by rust, or by cross-threading, and the stud begins to turn in the hub, you will have a big problem. It is better to cut the swage. If you don't have a swage cutter, cutting the studs off flush with the face of the drum using a zip wheel is OK.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
        X