PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: suitable carburetors for supercharger

vetteson
05-28-2014, 01:27 PM
I would like to hook up a McCulloch Supercharger in my '55 Speedster and would like to avoid a pressurized box. I'm looking for input/tips on sealing/modifying carburetors so I can simply attach a bonnet.

SN-60
05-28-2014, 04:13 PM
There may still be some info on the VS-57 website pertaining to sealing and re-jetting your Speedster's original Carter WCFB. You could also use a sealed Carter AFB (as per R2 Avanti), which would work well with the setup you describe. The scroll housing of the supercharger would need to be 'clocked' for best fit. Different style air caps (or bonnets) are available.

64V-K7
05-28-2014, 06:40 PM
You need a bonnet and carb from an R2 Hawk. Fits like a glove.. Don't forget the distributor advance curve..

bezhawk
05-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Actually the manifold will have to be modified to run an AFB on a WCFB manifold. Adapters or some heavy duty die grinding.

bezhawk
05-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Lot's of people use the Quick Fuel carb for blow through applications. There is much more technical and support form the manufacturer than from Edelbrock. (just sayin)

BobWaitz
05-30-2014, 01:25 PM
I believe Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker is making carb bonnets that will allow you to use an Edelbrock with the conventional R2 setup.

PackardV8
05-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Lot's of people use the Quick Fuel carb for blow through applications. There is much more technical and support form the manufacturer than from Edelbrock. (just sayin)

Agree, QF makes some of the best blow-thru carbs. Unfortunately, most CASOs choke when they learn the QF is 3X to 4X the price of an Edelbrock.

jack vines

SN-60
05-30-2014, 06:33 PM
I added a McCulloch supercharger to my Speedster eighteen years ago. (with excellent results) PM me if you need any info on this.:!: