STILL No Respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STILL No Respect

So I'm at the grocery store and made a casual pass of the magazine rack for some reading material. I decided to get the October issue of Muscle Car Review. One of the articles was titled 'Collecting Vintage Muscle - An entusiast's guide to buying/restoring '60-'64 musclecars'. I figuired after all the positive publicity that our Studebaker racers have recieved in the PSMCD events that there would be a little positive reinforcement for the Lazy 'S'.

Umm, no. It was a complete 'Big 3' love fest. The only Studebaker mention was under their 'What's HOT/What's NOT' side bar on page 24. It's under the NOT.

quote:Written by Robert Genat

SUPERCHARGED STUDEBAKER "The Big 3 were so big, and people were so conditioned to being a Ford family or a Dodge family. Would we buy a Studebaker? No, weird Uncle Harold has one of those. In the 1970's, that changed when Penske started running Javelins in Trans Am."
    I guess the positive is that when are cars are not endorsed as something to buy, it keeps them at reasonable prices for those wishing for a car they can afford instead of having $40,000 Camaros, or $60,000 Corvettes. Not as good if bought as an investment. I bought my Studebaker because the Mopars I'm interested in are now 3 times the price I paid, and the parts are easier to come by. Of course I won't have to worry about having to shop at Year One [)].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Memo to Mr. Genat:

"Huh?"

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Memo to Mr. Genat:

"Huh?"

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
      Woodbury, Minnesota
      sigpic
      Bob Shaw
      Rush City, Minnesota
      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

No doubt about it, Swiftster: Studebakers give you a lot more for your dollar these days. I do become slightly ill when I see the asking prices for 69 GTo Judges, '70 340 Barracudas and 57 Chevies. Maybe they LOOK nice, and have had a lot of TLC lately, but We just know that most of those cars have been through hell and back in a previous life. "Ram Air"(add $10k now) was way overrated then, and is oversold now. So, I figure we are the lucky/smart(your choice)ones to go with the brand Uncle Harold drove.

Comment

No doubt about it, Swiftster: Studebakers give you a lot more for your dollar these days. I do become slightly ill when I see the asking prices for 69 GTo Judges, '70 340 Barracudas and 57 Chevies. Maybe they LOOK nice, and have had a lot of TLC lately, but We just know that most of those cars have been through hell and back in a previous life. "Ram Air"(add $10k now) was way overrated then, and is oversold now. So, I figure we are the lucky/smart(your choice)ones to go with the brand Uncle Harold drove.

Comment

Just glad my name's not Harold or maybe someone would be around to give me free room and board.[)] Personally, I've always enjoyed driving something out of the ordinary![]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Just glad my name's not Harold or maybe someone would be around to give me free room and board.[)] Personally, I've always enjoyed driving something out of the ordinary![]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar
              3E-6/7-122
              </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Generally the only people likely to make money in the old car hobby are those whose business is the buying and selling of cars, and all of the vendors. The rest of it is just a lottery about who happens to be holding the right set of keys at a given moment.

The motto I live by is: "if you can buy what you like, then you should - and even better if you enjoy driving it".

A few years ago a metal fabricator friend of mine was a partner in a local shop. He would call me whenever some really interesting car was in for modifications and upgrades. One day he called and said that I really had to come over and look at what he was doing. When I arrived there was a nice Ferrari from the late 1940's (I've forgotten the year and model). What was it in for? Well, the Ferrari had a new owner - and he was on the bigger and taller side. More importantly, he planned on actually driving the car. So my friend was moving the engine & trans, changing the frame and all the pedal locations so that the new owner could be comfortable while driving the car. The work was being done with period correct fasteners and techniques so that only the most astute bystander would ever know that things had changed. The moral of my story is not about a rich man and his Ferrari, but that he was getting the car out into circulation and driving it - which seems to be the same goal for many Stude enthusiasts. Some things are universal, individual tastes in cars and style is not.

As far as where car values will go - who knows? One of the things I wonder about as the ages of old car lovers continues to rise, what will happen to today's hot prices when the museums have all the more readily obtainable belly button cars they want?

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                Packrat junk collector
                '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Generally the only people likely to make money in the old car hobby are those whose business is the buying and selling of cars, and all of the vendors. The rest of it is just a lottery about who happens to be holding the right set of keys at a given moment.

The motto I live by is: "if you can buy what you like, then you should - and even better if you enjoy driving it".

A few years ago a metal fabricator friend of mine was a partner in a local shop. He would call me whenever some really interesting car was in for modifications and upgrades. One day he called and said that I really had to come over and look at what he was doing. When I arrived there was a nice Ferrari from the late 1940's (I've forgotten the year and model). What was it in for? Well, the Ferrari had a new owner - and he was on the bigger and taller side. More importantly, he planned on actually driving the car. So my friend was moving the engine & trans, changing the frame and all the pedal locations so that the new owner could be comfortable while driving the car. The work was being done with period correct fasteners and techniques so that only the most astute bystander would ever know that things had changed. The moral of my story is not about a rich man and his Ferrari, but that he was getting the car out into circulation and driving it - which seems to be the same goal for many Stude enthusiasts. Some things are universal, individual tastes in cars and style is not.

As far as where car values will go - who knows? One of the things I wonder about as the ages of old car lovers continues to rise, what will happen to today's hot prices when the museums have all the more readily obtainable belly button cars they want?

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                  Packrat junk collector
                  '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Thomas said:

"As far as where car values will go - who knows? One of the things I wonder about as the ages of old car lovers continues to rise, what will happen to today's hot prices when the museums have all the more readily obtainable belly button cars they want?"

I worry about the market for the reasons you mention. I am getting offers to buy way more cars then I can afford do to the death or ill health of the owners. Of course that means I'm find more cars at good prices, but who will be there to buy them ? I was 21 when I bought a new 63 GT, and most of the Studebaker fans that recall the car are in their 50,s and 60's, or older. The only good news is most of my sales are going to non Studebaker club types that discovered the cars late. More then once I've had a bidder buy a car and say; "It never occurred to me to buy a Studebaker until I saw your pretty Hawk/Lark/whatever "

JDP/Maryland
                    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    58 Packard HT
                    56 Golden Hawk
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thomas said:

"As far as where car values will go - who knows? One of the things I wonder about as the ages of old car lovers continues to rise, what will happen to today's hot prices when the museums have all the more readily obtainable belly button cars they want?"

I worry about the market for the reasons you mention. I am getting offers to buy way more cars then I can afford do to the death or ill health of the owners. Of course that means I'm find more cars at good prices, but who will be there to buy them ? I was 21 when I bought a new 63 GT, and most of the Studebaker fans that recall the car are in their 50,s and 60's, or older. The only good news is most of my sales are going to non Studebaker club types that discovered the cars late. More then once I've had a bidder buy a car and say; "It never occurred to me to buy a Studebaker until I saw your pretty Hawk/Lark/whatever "

JDP/Maryland
                      64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      58 Packard HT
                      56 Golden Hawk
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:[i]Originally posted by JDP
                        The only good news is most of my sales are going to non Studebaker club types that discovered the cars late. More then once I've had a bidder buy a car and say; "It never occurred to me to buy a Studebaker until I saw your pretty Hawk/Lark/whatever "

JDP/Maryland
                        And that, JP, in my humble opinion is how you are doing a real service in the Studebaker marque alive.[^]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>

Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:[i]Originally posted by JDP
                          The only good news is most of my sales are going to non Studebaker club types that discovered the cars late. More then once I've had a bidder buy a car and say; "It never occurred to me to buy a Studebaker until I saw your pretty Hawk/Lark/whatever "

JDP/Maryland
                          And that, JP, in my humble opinion is how you are doing a real service in the Studebaker marque alive.[^]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

quote: Written by Robert Genat

SUPERCHARGED STUDEBAKER "The Big 3 were so big, and people were so conditioned to being a Ford family or a Dodge family. Would we buy a Studebaker? No, weird Uncle Harold has one of those. In the 1970's, that changed when Penske started running Javelins in Trans Am."
                            I have lots of Mr. Genat's books, and find them well researched (as well as written).

Does anyone else think that in that quote above Robert has mistaken Studebaker for AMC?

Chris Pile
                            The Studebaker Special
                            Midway Chapter SDC
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote: Written by Robert Genat

I have lots of Mr. Genat's books, and find them well researched (as well as written).

Does anyone else think that in that quote above Robert has mistaken Studebaker for AMC?

Chris Pile
                              The Studebaker Special
                              Midway Chapter SDC
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X