PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Stop lamp will not light.

RDWEAVER
05-26-2014, 03:41 PM
I have a 59 Hawk that only has one stop lamp. The turn signals work on both sides as well as the tail lights.
There is voltage there at the lamp on that side but drops to 0 VDC when the load is applied. I have done some checking
and it seems the problem must be in the turn signal switch inside the steering section. I want to be sure before
I tear into this so I figured I should confirm here first with the experts. Are these switches repairable? If not where can I
get a new one?
Thanks,
Kevin

jg61hawk
05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
WAIT! Don't tear into anything...I have a 1961 Hawk and I know your pain. My turn signal lever does not come back to DEAD CENTER and does not click on and off. It sort of loafs around when the cancel moves it...sometimes it cancels too hard and actually turns on the other way. It does this because the switch is bad (I suspect) but the signals work when I apply them. So what's my point???? My point is this: If the lever is not dead center the side it is almost making blink BUT IS NOT MAKING BLINK WILL NOT LIGHT! I just move the lever and can feel where it belongs after all this time. Try this: Turn the signal on to the left and hit the brakes does the right brake light work, then do the opposite. It's probably in the switch but replacing one can be difficult if they are available...when the easiest thing may just be to be sure the lever is level.

GTCruiser
05-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Try this. Disconnect the two wire connectors from their terminals on the brake light switch. There s/b rounded connectors on the end of the wires. Carefully put pliers or another tool around each of the rounded connectors and lightly squeeze. The two wire connectors should now be slightly more snug when you reattach them & you should have both brake lights.

RDWEAVER
05-26-2014, 08:07 PM
My cancel on the bottom of the steering wheel is working correctly. The switch shuts off in the correct position.
The contacts must be oxidized. I know this because I finally unhooked stop light wire and momentarily shorted it to ground.
Making sure I did not overload the fuse.
Nothing happened when we applied the brake no sparks no nothing.
Then we did the same thing with turn signal on, we got good current and some sparks.
I can't explain it but now the stop light works on that side.
I did put the wiring and tail light assembly back together cause I finally convinced myself there is no problem there.
But the steering wheel is still off and I am still looking for a new turn signal switch.
Anyone know if there is any NOS or a quality replacement available?

Chucks Stude
05-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Bought a used one from SI, you might try them. Or Bob Helm, an advertiser in the TW.

RDWEAVER
05-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Bought a used one from SI, you might try them. Or Bob Helm, an advertiser in the TW.
I checked SI today they told me they were on back order with no delivery date. She said I could order one and if they found any I would be first in line to get one.
I passed I thought I could check some of the other vendors first.

stude1964
05-28-2014, 07:31 AM
I would suggest getting a steering wheel puller to check the switch. My Dad's '64 T Cab has a switch issue. You might try to shoot it with electrical spray to remove any oxidation. Your wheel may have been removed and possibly rotated the cancellation spring on the backside of the wheel. If the switch or wheel are slightly off I've found that one brake light may not light. Go figure!
Rob in PA.

RDWEAVER
05-28-2014, 11:11 AM
I would suggest getting a steering wheel puller to check the switch. My Dad's '64 T Cab has a switch issue. You might try to shoot it with electrical spray to remove any oxidation. Your wheel may have been removed and possibly rotated the cancellation spring on the backside of the wheel. If the switch or wheel are slightly off I've found that one brake light may not light. Go figure!
Rob in PA.
Rob I have the steering wheel off I am waiting to see if I can come up with a replacement switch.
So far I have not found one so I may have to remove the switch and go after it with some contact cleaner spray.
Thanks,
Kevin

StudeRich
05-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Kevin, it looks like you need a 1549450 Turn Signal Switch, it is a "Call Item" at S.I. it must be a very limited quantity.