Reinstalling a crank timing gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling a crank timing gear

In reassembling the '63 (OHV) six, I have gently pressed on the cam gear and have it in the block and I'm in the process of plastigage-ing the mains. (To my relief I noticed the flywheel bolts go in from the flywheel side.) I guess I did this backwards by seating the cam gear first but I'd like to figure out a way to get that crank gear back on without using the crank bolt - like the spiffy tool in the manual. My crank bolt has questionable threads on the last inch or so and I'd rather not make it pull that gear on.
    Is there a suitable sub you've used? Thanks!

Western Washington, USA

What I have done is get a Chevy crank installer tool from a swap meet for about $20 if you can find one that someone has screwed the threads up on 1 end all the better and cheaper. Take a Stude crank bolt someone had buggered up the head and cut the head off. Chuck the 2 pieces up in a lathe and chamfer the ends and weld them together. You will have your Stude buddies begging to borrow your tool.

Comment

If you have access to the June 1981 issue of Turning Wheels, it contains several Ingvar Vik drawings-plans for making different Stude tools including crank and cam installers.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

why not buy a new bolt? sounds like you need one anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X