Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

259/AT Wagonaire wins Studebaker National Drags!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259/AT Wagonaire wins Studebaker National Drags!

What's this nonsense?

A plebeian 259 / 2bbl / Flightomatic Daytona Wagonaire beat Ted Harbit's Stude Tomato, Richard Poe's hot rod, big-inch 1964 Screaming Lime Challenger, and a host of other hot Studebakers fair & square at the Saturday, May 24, 2014 Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Drags at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom Indiana????

Well, it DID, so THERE!

Oh, crap; I 'spose you're gonna want "The Rest of The Story...."

OK, 'here 'tis:

When the event opened, all the Studebakers and Hudsons present, whether or not entered to drag race, were asked to parade down the strip on the return road and then turn around and come back toward the timing tower. The tower is perched high above the track, roughly across the top of the starting line, back a little bit.

So everyone complied. Many people were taking pictures and videos of the maybe 18-car / truck parade up and down the strip.

All the track workers and employees were instructed to stand on the tower above the strip, look down at the cars as they passed by, and vote for their favorite among all the people's cars that had shown up. That would kind of be an "Employee's Choice" award among all the cars entered. I was not aware that any such thing was going on...and I don't think anyone else was, either.

Well, if you are looking down on a parade of cars passing beneath you, what is going to catch your eye if there are no convertibles in the parade (and there weren't)? Right; a unique station wagon with a sliding roof open to the bright sunshine!

So after the parade was over and everyone was getting ready to race, an announcement came over the PA system, "Bob Palmer [sic] of Brownsburg, Indiana, has won the "Employee's Choice" award with his 1964 Daytona Wagonaire! Bob, please see Richard Poe for your prize!" (And it was no $1 stuffed parrot from China, I tell you: It was a six-pack of the new Lucas 10W30 "Hot Rod" Motor Oil with plenty of Zinc for flat-tappet cams and lifters! Man, that stuff retails for $7-$8 a quart, and here was a six-pack just for showing up! 'Sure covered the $20 cost to get in!)

OK, on with the show and some photos:

Yes, we had two Hudsons appear, both 1950 Coupes: Larry Kennedy's red Super Six and his friend Dave's Commodore Six:

The spectator Studes parked among the competing Studes, friendly bunch that we are:

In this photo is SDCer Larry Main's 1957 Golden Hawk. Larry bought it brand new in 1957, when he was 20 years old, and drove it to the event today. He converted it from Flightomatic to stick overdrive in the 1960s. I wonder how many other Original Owners are still united with a Golden Hawk they bought brand new? It can't be many.

And the first Superbaker I'll bet any of us have seen:

When we tell you the unique Brown County Dragway has a creek running right under the starting line, we aren't kidding:

Racing underway:

I was fortunate to have "caught" one Ted Harbit (Red Tomato) and one Richard Poe (Screaming Lime Monster) launch "just right," nose high...woo-hoo:

In the above photo, Rich Meadows' Jet Green R4 Challenger clone has taken on Richard, but Richard's car easily won as it probably has darn near 'twice the horsepower of a stock R4.

Overall, a great day, as evidenced by the smiles of John Kern and his wife Mary Jo:

(If you remember, John drove The Stude Tomato at The 2013 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race faster than Ted has ever driven it when configured as an R2! We don't know if John has TB, Tomato Probation, as a result. Thou shalt not step on Superman's Cape! )

This was probably the most hospitable weather ever experienced by Richard and Rose Poe's Event ; balmy and 73 degrees; just right! Richard and Rose again did a wonderful job executing The Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Drags.

Thanks again ever so much, Richard & Rose; again, well-played...for the Seventh Year! OMG; has it been that long? BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 05-25-2014, 03:12 PM. Reason: punctuation & Richard's correction
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Great story and pics. Thanks, Bob
    1936 Dictator
    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
    1953 Commander Regal HT
    1953 2R5 Pickup
    1947 M16 Truck
    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
    1963 GT Hawk R2
    1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Bob,

That event looks like way too much fun! I'm going to have to get that on my schedule so I don't miss it next year. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like a great setting for a car show but you get drag racing too!

For those of us who have never drag raced their Studebakers, does anyone put on an informal tutorial at the event for first timers? Maybe basic tips on setup, launch techniques... This looks like a lot more fun than a static car show!

Nice win with the wagon, but no photo posted of the winning vehicle?
      Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Daytona Hardtop
      1962 Champ Truck
      1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

It is a lot of fun; just as informal and laid-back as you can imagine.

With Ted Harbit and Richard Poe and John Kern on location for tutorials, help is always on the way, if not readily at hand.

The Winning Wagonaire at one end of The Studebaker Pit Area:

'Hope you can make it next year, Neil. The person winning The Long Distance Award this year (Dave with the Hudson) drove about 550 miles from West Virginia. We also had Studebaker participants from Janesville WI; the team of Steve and brothers with their black Starliner and red Avanti. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Looked like a perfect day for racing.....
          Someday I'll get there...with a Stude.
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thought for sure I was going to be there this year but something came up that I had to take care of. That something ended up canceled Saturday morning due to unforeseen problems. Hopefully next year will be a little easier to plan.
            Any times for the cars, Bob? What was Richard's best time? His car is certainly impressive for an unblown Studebaker.

Comment

Good show, Bob. That 55 HT caught my attention, too. Guess it was beat out by the Wagonaire, too
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                Any times for the cars, Bob? What was Richard's best time? His car is certainly impressive for an unblown Studebaker.
                You were missed, Nels. We waited as long as we could for you...or maybe not...

I did not keep times or speeds; 'just kind of enjoying the day without going overboard. Hopefully, Richard has some times as he tends to keep track of those at this event. Maybe check the Racing Studebakers Forum and see if he posted anything there. (He may be recovering from the event's intensity because he is everywhere at once, so give him a day or two to post some results.)

Ted turned a best of 8.940, IIRC, and Richard was well into the 7s. (This is an eighth-mile, readers; not a full quarter!) BP
                Last edited by BobPalma; 05-25-2014, 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  It is a lot of fun; just as informal and laid-back as you can imagine.

With Ted Harbit and Richard Poe and John Kern on location for tutorials, help is always on the way, if not readily at hand.

The Winning Wagonaire at one end of The Studebaker Pit Area:

'Hope you can make it next year, Neil. The person winning The Long Distance Award this year (Dave with the Hudson) drove about 550 miles from West Virginia. We also had Studebaker participants from Janesville WI; the team of Steve and brothers with their black Starliner and red Avanti. BP
                  Great story, Bob! Neat way to spend a brief break from detailing Sheila's Malibu this afternoon!
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                    Good show, Bob. That 55 HT caught my attention, too. Guess it was beat out by the Wagonaire, too
                    'Glad you enjoyed it, Dave.

That '55 belongs to Steve Donahue from Wisconsin. The Donahues are old friends of Richard Poe's from Janesville; Al, Joe, Steve, and Rick. If you remember, Richard and Rose lived there while Richard was an electrician at the General Motors Assembly Plant in Janesville.

They also brought the pickup barely seen in the second photo, and the red Avanti. Nice folks, all. BP

Comment

Does this mean that Bob and Ted will not be at the Musclepalooza put on by Hemmings as stated in another topic here? Or did you go directly from one event to the other?
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Does this mean that Bob and Ted will not be at the Musclepalooza put on by Hemmings as stated in another topic here? Or did you go directly from one event to the other?
                        That's correct, Gary. We had to choose between Musclepalooza and The Brown County Dragway Event, and are hopefully going to try to make a Musclepalooza event when there is no conflict.

Richard and Rose Poe are good friends and we were not comfortable abandoning their event. BP

Comment

The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
                            Bob as always has a good report but one thing needs to be corrected, my car is not supercharged. not the guys from Wisconsin.
                            Thanks for the correction, Richard...DUH...I knew that! (Typing too fast late at night; is that an acceptable excuse?)

As for the truck in Photo 2: I was referring to the barely-visible green truck to the right in Photo 2, next to the red Avanti, not Jeff's Screaming Yellow Zonker...that green truck next to the red Avanti belongs to one of the Wisconsin Donahues, right?

And the dark forest green truck (different one) is Cecil Meadows' from Lake Village; right?

Again, Richard; a great time. Thanks to you and Rose for all the work and promotion. BP

Comment

Neil
                              See this thread,
                              The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Working...
                              X