Hurst 'Syncro-Loc' Floor Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst 'Syncro-Loc' Floor Shifter

I've never been completely happy with the operation of the column shift and its associated linkage in my '55 Speedster. (the 'Doctor's Car') I had mentioned to a Stude buddy that I saw a Hurst Syncro-Loc floor shifter advertised in a recent e-bay auction. This used Hurst shifter came off of a T-86 O/D transmission. What a pleasant surprise I had today when my friend came over and handed me this rare Hurst shifter....Gratis! The shifter mechanism, handle, brackets, shift rods, etc. are all in excellent condition. Came with a nice ivory colored three speed knob, and new floor boot. Last year I had done some repair work on this Studebaker owner's car, and he just wanted to say thanks!....What a guy!

When it comes to floor-shifters those are the ones that makes life worth living in my opinion, congrats!
    These days you never find them anymore for sale here in Europe & I can only dream & remember cars I used to own with them in...

Comment

Agreed!, these high quality floor shifters have a 'dual pattern' feature which gives one a choice of the traditional 'H' pattern, or a 'Straight Line' throw from first to second gear....which, in my opinion, is the only way to go!

Comment

I thought all speedsters only came with the auto trans. Is this published information in the book that I got from SI wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          I thought all speedsters only came with the auto trans. Is this published information in the book that I got from SI wrong?
          Years ago, many Stude buffs believed that all President Speedsters left the factory equipped with automatic transmissions. More recent research of production records indicate that some Speedsters were indeed built with standard transmissions, as well as painted in solid colors.

Comment

I started out from the beginning with a Hurst shifter in The Saturday Night Special. You will be glad you chose one for The Doctors Car.

Comment

I kept out cheeping my bids for Hurst Suncro's and finding myself the other guy bidding when time ran out on a half dozen of them... Finally gave up and was high bidder on a lesser model.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                I kept out cheeping my bids for Hurst Suncro's and finding myself the other guy bidding when time ran out on a half dozen of them... Finally gave up and was high bidder on a lesser model.
                Glad you found something but if losing to last second bids is the problem, you might want to give esnipe a trip around the block.

Comment

Agree, the Hurst Synchro-Loc is the best of the three-speed shifters. I'm using one on the T89 behind the Packard V8 in my '55 E12 and it shifts well.

I buy them whenever I run across one and now have two or three on the for future projects. The only problem I've found is the handle is welded on as part of the mechanism. Sometimes, the handle has gotten rusty. Other times, it doesn't fit the new application. This requires cutting off the handle and drilling and tapping the stub for a bolt-on handle. That's what I did to get the long, tall handle needed for the pickup.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Step up to the mastershift. It's the toughest (IMO) of the 3-speed shifters, and, the shift handle bolts on. Any of the Hurst 4 speed levers bolt on.

Here's the one I used. Only the shifter and rods. Used one different arm, and fabed mount.

Comment

Step up to the mastershift. It's the toughest (IMO) of the 3-speed shifters, and, the shift handle bolts on. Any of the Hurst 4 speed levers bolt on.
                      The Mastershift is a later variant of the Syncro-Loc design and thus no 'tougher". Can't remember if it has the dual-pattern option. You are correct in that having the shifter bolt on is a huge advantage.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Had to fabricate new mounting bracket for syncro-loc, as factory bracket positioned shifter rearward too far. (almost in line wth transmission yoke on short tail t-86) Everything is now installed on spare tranny and shifting real nice. All O/D controls cleared. Love the Hurst syncro-loc "click into second", straight line) Having a spare transmission 'on the bench' is really a must when doing these custom installs!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          Had to fabricate new mounting bracket for syncro-loc, as factory bracket positioned shifter rearward too far. (almost in line wth transmission yoke on short tail t-86) Everything is now installed on spare tranny and shifting real nice. All O/D controls cleared. Love the Hurst syncro-loc "click into second", straight line) Having a spare transmission 'on the bench' is really a must when doing these custom installs!
                          Didn't happen without pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            Didn't happen without pictures.
                            Will do Bob!

Comment

I ran a floor shift in the 62GT, with T85 transmission for about 250,000 miles, and even wore out a couple of shifters. Not much difference between Mr Gasket and Hurst anymore though. I always used the kind for light trucks. Agree they can be set up to operate smooth as silk. Plus, it seems more natural for the human arm to drop down to the ball on the shifter, and uses a different set of muscles to operate it, which makes multiple shifts in a day, less tiring, compared to "3 on a tree".

About 20,000 miles ago, with the GT's last motor rebuild, I decided to put the shifter back on the column, so rebuilt the column shifter from end to end, with extra grease here & there. Also sacrificed an NOS linkage rod for 56J with PS for use on the GT. Now days, it shifts smooth as silk. But again, the human body mechanics involved are different.

The 56J has always had a column shift with its T85, since I converted it from the UltraTrashic about 154,000 miles ago. It has always performed flawlessly, and never been a problem. I have gotten used to them both, but again agree floor shift is "better" overall, due to human body mechanics.
                              Last edited by JoeHall; 05-31-2014, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X