Title issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title issues

I've waited for 2 titles to the 2 64 GT Hawks I bought a year and a half ago, and the previous owner still has not gotten them and the "paperwork" involved to me. I intend to try to acquire the titles however I can, but does anyone have any information how to proceed, and stay within the laws? I live in Florida and have heard that a few other states are more lenient in these issues. Can anyone offer some advice? Bill Van Alstyne

This will be an interesting thread.... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Do you have any paperwork? Bill of sale? Receipt?
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Bypassing the correct title for a vehicle is always an interesting subject matter and if I were to be involved un such actions I wouldn't be discussing it here or anywhere on the world wide internet I would search my state DMV for a Bonded type title.
        sigpic

Comment

you can apply for a lien, if it has been on your property for that time. not sure in FL but in CA it's very easy if the car is under 4000

also there are lien sale services, i had my van done by one for the same reasons you have, cost me $75

Comment

Bill

If the previous owner still has the titles and you have the paperwork that says you purchased same, I'd talk to the DMV from the state you purchased them from, if you haven't already, and see what the procedure is to get a duplicate title or a visit to the previous owner from the local law enforcement folks. This strikes me as conversion, legally, although I haven't spend any time lately at a Holiday Inn.

Good luck, Bob

Comment

The previous owner of mine (in Kentucky) had no title so he had to go in front of a J.P., swear ownership, then insure and plate the car to get a title. Meanwhile the car was a total basket case and in lockup at Detroit until the previous owner got the title, mailed it to me and I could register it as unfit in Ontario to bring it across the border. It was a lot of work for the guy, but he was a real good guy. Good luck.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The only paperwork I have is the original agreement to purchase these cars for an agreed on price. That was done 1 1/2 years ago. I did not pick them up and pay for them until last July 4th, however, because he did not have the titles and paperwork there, I withheld a good chunk of the money. The p.o. is in trouble with the IRS and government, and he has his right hand man handling the sale. I only met the p.o. on the original visit. He has time and time again said he has the titles and paperwork, but has not gotten it to me. These cars were in Kentucky when I bought them. As of now, I have 2 wonderful project or parts cars. If I decide to part them out, there will be LOTS of good stuff available. I want to do this the lawful way, but I'm not going to waste a lot of time and money trying to get the titles. Keep watching and any more suggestions are greatly appreciated. Bill

Comment

You might try a wrecker or towing company. In Florida they can go to the DMV and get a title by telling the DMV people that the towing bill is more than the car is worth and they now own the car in lieu of the towing bill. I don't know the details but I know of people who have done this and it is legal.

Comment

We had a problem upon purchasing a '64 Champ a number of years ago here in PA. We bought the truck from the person who DIDN'T own it! As it turned out we went to the State Police who said they could get our $ back. We had already done enough work on it so it would pass PA. state inspection and didn't want the $, we wanted the truck! The police helped us obtain a duplicate title. Apparently the rightful owner's business went belly-up so he left town owing everybody. He gave the Champ to this guy but no title. We now have the Champ totally rebuilt and LEGAL. I hope things work out well for you and the Hawks. I'd hate to see them parted if they can be put back on the road.
                    Rob in PA.

Comment

There is always Broadway Title...
                      Corley

Comment

Robin, I learned a lesson when I bought mine that saved me big $ in taxes. We have a 13% sales tax that's payable when you register a car. I registered mine as unfit and paid the tax on the $2000 I paid for it before I started any work. When I was done, it appraised in at $30,000. Had I waited to register it when it was done I would have paid 13% on $30,000! I paid tax on every part I bought for it and every bill for labour. I would have had to pay that tax all over again had I waited until it was done to register it in my name. When I was ready for the road all I needed was insurance and a safety certificate to plate it. Other have made the mistake of waiting to register until it was roadworthy. Hope this helps others trying to put one back on the road.
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks guys for the info so far! Like Dave, I will not begin to do any work on these cars until I have titles for them. They are definitely worth getting back on the road. One is an R1 that the p.o. has the entire chassis rebuilt, frame, engine, trans(4 speed), front and rear suspensions, s.s. exhaust; and the other is an R2 that has tons of parts, some ready to go back on the car. Both cars need body work and paint, but all the parts are there to work with. Hence, I really want to obtain the titles and get to work on them. Corley, I don't know Broadway Title? Can you get me more info? Again, thanks for all the help, Bill.

Comment

Bill

If/when you talk to Broadway title or any other retitling outfit, be sure to get some independent advice on which title holds precedent, the new or the original. I remember a 57 Chevy that went back to the original owner even though the current owner had a title and had spent mega-bucks on restoration. I don't know the answer but don't get blindsided.

Bob

Comment

The only way you're going to get those titles is to put sweat & money into it.....meaning making a trip to where the titles are supposed to be. If you're there tapping your toes in front of the guy, he's more likely to try to find them. If those titles are still showing as good in the state's data base, nobody is going to give you a replacement title. If the guy can't come up with the title while your there, you have him hop in the car with you & drive to the DMV where he can apply for a lost title and power of attorney, allowing the state to re-issue the title in your name. Filing a small claims case against him is the next move if the other doesn't work.

By some chance, if the VIN numbers don't turn up in any state data base (a buddy in the law enforcement business can check for you), you can apply for a bonded title which will take more forms, but will work (I recently did this for a motorbike here in Illinois).
                              Lots-o-luck
                              Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                              X