WTB Complete Dana44 rear w/4.10 or 4.56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: WTB Complete Dana44 rear w/4.10 or 4.56

I am getting my 64' Wagonaire restoration project underway and am in need of a complete Dana 27 or 44 with 4.10 or 4.56 to be compatible with my 6cyl. and 3 speed w/OD. Someone thought a Dana 27 with 3.07 gears was suitable for this car...which killed the clutch and it will barely move with this ratio/bad clutch combination. Needless to say I will have a Dana 27 with 3.07 available for sale or trade once I get one with the proper ratio.

Let me know what you might have.

I am located near Seattle, WA and could certainly drive a reasonable distance to get what I need.

Yours in advancing with the right ratio.
    Last edited by 64Wagonaire; 05-23-2014, 10:47 AM.

Your car will be much better off with the 4.56 than it will be with the 4.10.

Years ago, I added an overdrive to my 51 Champion starlight coupe and left the 4.10 in it. That car is lighter than yours and it still would have benefitted by changing the 4.10 to a 4.56.

Is there a reason for going with the Dana 44 instead of the 27? The 27 might be easier to find, will be easier to install (the mounting hardware will be the same) and the 27 will certainly hold up to the horsepower of the engine.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it. Only reason I was thinking of Dana 44 is because of the readily available aftermarket parts out there, spoke with a local ring and pinion shop this morning and they said I should certainly go Dana 44 because of the scarcity of the 27.

Reconsidering but open to both I think.

Comment

Local ring and pinion shops probably don't know what is common and what is uncommon in the world of used Studebaker parts.

If you get a good rear axle assembly of any model, your engine is not likely to tear it up.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

...and you might not want to make (especially the spider gears) in a TT#27 work that hard?

Comment

Just asking, why do you think you have to have a TwinTraction? I was never able to cause a 170" spin a wheel when parked in greasy snot.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

My mistake. Have re-read and can't find any mention of TT before I said it.

Comment

It's getting harder and harder to find 27 R&P's with anything other than 4.27 ratios and they are not inexpensive. Your choice of a 44 makes sense to me.

Just Google Dana 27 R&P's and compare with Dana 44's as an experiment then go into the future with something that you can find parts for.

Bob

Comment

Not that it helps you now, but I had a 27 that I could not give away. Even posted on this forum and none of the local stude folks wanted it. Advertised it locally a few times and finally a guy building a rat rod took it off my hands, loved the thought of the 4:56 ratio with his 250 6cyl. chevy engine. The rear end was original to my car and never had any issues handling the power (and abuse) dished out by the 239 Stude engine, nor the 283 Chubby engine...and that includes many high-stress-high-rpm starts. cheers, junior.
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

X2 on not being able to give away Dana 27s. I've probably scrapped a dozen because no one wanted them at any price.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Glad to hear I am not too far off base with my desire for the 44. Sounds like all of the 27's have been scrapped

Still looking for an elusive 44 with 4.56. Have contacted a few local folks to see what they might have.

Comment

Working...
                      X