1951 commander business coup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 commander business coup

I was just wonder if any one knows the story behind this car. I mean I know only one was ever made or that is what I have heard and no one knows where it is today but that is about it. My question is why did Studebaker only make one and who bought it back in the day. I don't know if that could be answered but I'm just curious that's all.

They only made one? Ted Harbit blew it up, then. He's hard on Studebakers
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Comment

Note that he specified Commander. I believe that is correct only one V8 51 business coupe was made. I expect some have been retrofitted.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I believe that Ted Harbit drove a starlight not the business coup as for the year I may be wrong about that. All I know is that Studebaker only made one commander business coup during one of the years the car was made. Their is a lot of champions made but not commanders. I just wanted to know why and why the car has never been surfaced over the years.

Comment

"and why the car has never been surfaced over the years."

I thought it was light grey and belonged to one of our (who's name escapes me) New Jersey brethern?
            The car I am thinking of was in SB for one of the last International meets, and spent some time on the parking lot next to that little place near Notre Dame that headquartered the Avanti club.

Comment

If that is true and it really is the one that came from the factory not customized I would like to get ahold of him to see if he knows the history behind the car and how he ended up with it. That is a great find.

Comment

More on it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rnon+commander

Craig

Comment

A few years ago, at the Lancaster, PA Int'l Meet, I saw a '51 Commander Business Coupe parked in front of the host hotel. I was told, at that time, that it was the only '51 V-8 Business Coupe made. Don't know if it was original or not. It was good looking though.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Thanks for that link I found it an interesting read and thanks about the other commits about this car as well. I wonder if the gray 51 v-8 business coupe that has been seen is the original car or if it was a customized from a champion to look like it. Ether way I think it is cool and happy I'm not the only one that has wonder about this car. The Black one that was spotted in 62 if I read right really caught my interest as well. I wonder if it got repainted or was it was just another conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                      "and why the car has never been surfaced over the years."

I thought it was light grey and belonged to one of our (who's name escapes me) New Jersey brethern?
                      The car I am thinking of was in SB for one of the last International meets, and spent some time on the parking lot next to that little place near Notre Dame that headquartered the Avanti club.
                      I believe that you are referring to Peter C's car. It was not the 1951. It was a 1947-1949 Commander coupe that was at South Bend and spent time in the SNM.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X