Any Electricians out there - GFIC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Electricians out there - GFIC?

My daughter is considering building a "Tiny House" on a utility trailer. The power (two, separate 20 Amp circuits) will be sourced through RV style cords from a detached, secondary building on the property - once I install exterior outlets. I know that I need GFIC protection on the exterior circuits. I was considering GFIC breakers at the main box, but feel GFIC outlets in the secondary building would be better. I can install the GFIC outlets internally, but feed the protected circuit to to the exterior receptacles. This way a person would be in a dry environment to reset the circuit as opposed to rain running off the roof at the main box with GFIC breakers.

A second consideration comes up if the tiny house is ever moved. While in use as I describe the house would be completely GFIC protected by the external outlets at the secondary building. But, moved there is no guarantee the next supplying power source would be GFIC protected. Therefore, I was considering putting the bathroom and kitchen sink areas in the tiny house on an additional GFIC outlet (internal to the house itself). However, this would result in in one of the 20 amp circuits have two GFIC's in series. Is there any problem in doing this? It seems the prudent thing to do safety wise - if there are no issues with series GFIC's.

To simplify it will look like this:

200 amp main box > 20 amp breaker > secondary building with GFIC (#1) > exterior outlet (connected to GFIC) > power cord to tiny house > tiny house 20 amp breaker > additional GFIC (#2) > sink area outlets

Thank you to anyone who can reply.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

How old is daughter?? is this a playhouse or some type of functional residence?? Do you have building code requirements in you area that may apply?? Are you only running 110/120 a/c?? Need more info thanks Gordon

Comment

How old is daughter?? College graduate.

Is this a playhouse or some type of functional residence?? Potential residence, emphasis on "some type."

Do you have building code requirements in you area that may apply?? To the extent this is considered an RV/Travel Trailer, vaguely, No.

Are you only running 110/120 a/c?? Yes.

My main interest is in the concept of running two GFIC's in series. The rest of my post was to explain why.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Only one [1] GFIC to a circuit.
        Either a GFIC breaker at the panel on the tiny house to protect the whole circuit --- or a standard breaker and GFIC receptacle at the location.
        The GFIC receptacle can be wired to protect ONLY that location - or - to protect that location AND any wiring past that GFIC receptacle.
        GFIC's will NOT work in series.

[Let me rephrase that!]
        GFIC's ARE NOT designed to work in series.
        Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 05-21-2014, 06:25 AM.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Yes; it is said that 2 GFI's in series will not work; but I have seen cases where the panel has a GFI breaker and the receptacle is a GFI. And they work. The problem is when one trips; if it is the first one in the circuit; the second one will not rest.
          Today manufactures are making portable appliances with build in GFI's and they also work when plugged into a GFI outlet.
          So my answer is I don't know; the receptacles are inexpensive, so try it.
          As for the location of the GFI to protect the cord. Inside the structure world be best with a regular outlet outside. Keeps the electronics in the GFI receptacle out of the weather. Also the shortest distance between the GFI and the load is best.
          A GFI is not magic; it is just measuring the electricity going out on the black wire against that which returns on the white wire. Lose much more then 5 MA and the GFI trips
          Ron

Comment

Working...
          X