Champion of the Lark....Harold Churchill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion of the Lark....Harold Churchill

I have just finished reading Robert R. Ebert's book, "Champion of the Lark - Harold Churchill and the Presidency of Studebaker-Packard 1956-1961". For all Studebaker aficionados, this is a 'must read'. I must compliment Mr. Ebert on an accurately researched and excellent reading effort.

In one particular portion of the book, Mr. Ebert kindly quoted comments I made back in 2008. That portion bears repeating as follows:

"There has been speculation among persons interested in the history of Studebaker regarding the true motives of the Board of Directors relative to the closing of the South Bend operations and the move of assembly operations to Canada. That speculation is probably summarized quite well by Stu Chapman, a past-president of the Studebaker Drivers Club, and Studebaker director of advertising and public relations at the Canadian plant from 1964 to 1966. In a June 2008 article in the Studebaker Drivers Club magazine, Turning Wheels, Chapman said the following:

"In previous articles I have written, as well as in numerous speeches delivered, I made it abundantly clear that had Studebaker closed up completely in 1963, they would have faced huge financial penalties for failing to supply dealers with vehicles. Regardless of what some may speculate, the transfer of operations from South Bend to Hamilton was nothing more than a charade that allowed the Corporation to cease automotive operations at the least possible cost".

Robert Ebert goes on to say that Byers Burlingame can be characterized as a risk averter. He saw his primary responsibility was to the shareholders. Product design, planning and marketing were not his strong points and probably not his main interests in his role with the company. When he retired in 1967 he was given credit for bringing the Corporation from an operating loss of approximately $17 million in 1963, to a profit of $16.5 million in 1966. Board Chair Randolph Guthrie said this was one of the truly remarkable corporate recoveries in business annals. What Guthrie and Burlingame totally failed to acknowledge was that the Studebaker Automotive Division under the leadership of Gordon Grundy significantly contributed to that profit picture.

From my personal experience, I again reiterate that, in Canada, we were never given the true opportunity to make Studebaker live. That fact is borne out by the knowledge that Edward G. Dunbar Jr. was brought over from Curtiss-Wright in December 1963 as Corporate Controller, just prior to the closing of South Bend. His specific assignment....DIVESTMENT. In 1972, when Ed Dunbar moved over to Studebaker-Worthington, he had finally concluded the winding up of Studebaker automotive operations in North America.

Thank you again Robert Ebert for your timely recollections. Studebaker will always be known as the true pioneer of the transportation world.

Stu Chapman
    Last edited by avantilover; 05-18-2014, 02:58 PM. Reason: Correcting name

Stu; The author is Robert Ebert. Roger (now deceased) was the movie critic.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
      Stu; The author is Robert Ebert. Roger (now deceased) was the movie critic.
      Thank you Dick. Correction made. Slip of the finger so to speak. I had it correct in the opening paragraph. In fact I remember Roger Ebert well as a former member of SDC with his Golden Hawk.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
        Thank you Dick. Correction made. Slip of the finger so to speak. I had it correct in the opening paragraph. In fact I remember Roger Ebert well as a former member of SDC with his Golden Hawk.

Stu Chapman
        Stu - You still need to make this correction in one more place (beginning of fifth paragraph).
        I bought the book when it first came out and read it the first night that I had it. I thought that it was a great read.
        See you in Dover, DE.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Stu - You still need to make this correction in one more place (beginning of fifth paragraph).
          I bought the book when it first came out and read it the first night that I had it. I thought that it was a great read.
          See you in Dover, DE.
          Sorry Gary but I cannot find the error you say needs correcting.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Stu, what a wonderful description of your first hand experiences!

Being anywhere form six months old to age three when you were living this in real time, I can only try to relate. The only similar thing that happened during my adult life was when Chrysler purchased AMC in 1987, and subsequently created the short lived Eagle Brand. That's the only parallel I can draw. Eagle by most views could only be described as a brand created to fulfill AMC Dealer Contracts. When it had fulfilled it's purpose, it slipped away. I don't think there was ever any serious consideration of making it a long term part of Chrysler's business. Even though Studebaker Canada made it on it's own, it was simply a mechanism to a predetermined end and once that end was reached, it too slipped away. This was back in the days when contracts and their fulfillment were the lifeblood of business. Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Mercury and Pontiac all came to a swifter end than would have been imaginable back in the 60's. But then again, they weren't totally independent as Studebaker was. Yours was truly a last of it's kind experience in the Auto Industry as we once knew it.

Comment

I corrected Stu's second mention of Roger instead of Robert. I enjoyed that book as it clarified the cessation of Automotive Operations.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                Sorry Gary but I cannot find the error you say needs correcting.

Stu Chapman
                I guess that it was corrected with your 6:58 PM edit (after I posted).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                  I corrected Stu's second mention of Roger instead of Robert. I enjoyed that book as it clarified the cessation of Automotive Operations.
                  Now I see how the correction was made after I posted and why Stu was not yet aware that a correction had been made by someone else.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                  X