PDA

View Full Version : Lark on a Bonneville Chassis

sweetolbob
05-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Went to the first local car show yesterday "Blessing of the Wheels" at the St Stans track and field complex and saw a Lark that is new to the area. Ratty looking thing :!!: but I liked it. Struck up a conversation with the 30 or so YO couple that owned it (enthusiastic as heck). It sets on an 85 Bonneville chassis, with not wheelbase mods, 305 SBC power. You just had to like their excitement for the car but Just couldn't talk them into a visit to the SDC. They are just interested in building and selling.

Instead of posting a picture you'll find it here http://www.ratrodrelics.com/rat-rods---for-sale.html

Well!! The 83 Avanti got blessed (So it has that going for it!!) and I got to see several, new to me, rods and meet a few old friends and make a couple of new ones. Left the camera home (CRS) but the Avanti on a sunny day rolling through the country side just draws a ton of attention.

Bob

junior
05-18-2014, 01:40 PM
first thought was how does one put a lark on a b`ville chassis??? then I remembered that some b'villes were on Malibu etc. chassis...now it makes sense. I was thinking about the old behemoths with a 20 ft wb. I swear my next build is going to be ratty all the way...no sweating the spit and polish routine = 10x the fun...at least so I figure. What's happening with the older yeller 'vanti...is it running?...and the poor K...is it become(ing) the forgotten first child?? after a brutal winter work session on my coupe, and equally brutally long winter itself, finally got my car on the road...sure nice to hear the bark from the exhaust again. cheers, junior

52-fan
05-18-2014, 02:51 PM
The car doesn't sit bad. How did the inside look? Did they just basically set the body on the frame or did it require a lot of cutting?

sweetolbob
05-18-2014, 05:07 PM
The car doesn't sit bad. How did the inside look? Did they just basically set the body on the frame or did it require a lot of cutting?

It was claimed to have the Bonneville floorpans and frame. I looked underneath and it sure looked Pontiac. Couldn't see how it was joined as the perimeter frame comes close to the rockers. It had the Pontiac column and front seats.

Bob

sweetolbob
05-18-2014, 05:14 PM
first thought was how does one put a lark on a b`ville chassis??? then I remembered that some b'villes were on Malibu etc. chassis...now it makes sense. I was thinking about the old behemoths with a 20 ft wb. I swear my next build is going to be ratty all the way...no sweating the spit and polish routine = 10x the fun...at least so I figure. What's happening with the older yeller 'vanti...is it running?...and the poor K...is it become(ing) the forgotten first child?? after a brutal winter work session on my coupe, and equally brutally long winter itself, finally got my car on the road...sure nice to hear the bark from the exhaust again. cheers, junior

Junior, That was my first question, where in the heck did you find a 108-9" wheel base Bonneville. Same answer as you have.

The 74 is ready for paint but my painter is working 6 days a week. We had a long talk at yesterdays car show and he still wants to paint it so when we can set a date, it will turn partially yellow. The 54, just whimpers occasionally. When the 74 is on the road, the 54 will get new paint.

Yup!! Dang cold here too so not much got done all winter. Glad you're out and about, feels good to get back together with car folks.

Bob

rockne10
05-18-2014, 07:18 PM
That reminds me, The old police Chevy Caprice interceptor chassis wheelbase will accept the 1950 Champion body; perhaps '47-'49 as well! That means the later long wheel base Cruisers and sedans should also fit.

wittsend
05-19-2014, 01:20 AM
Hummm..., the 80's GM frame seems to be rather popular. This link http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp_1303_mike_meyer_ls1_1962_chevrolet_corvair/ is for a '62 Corvair station wagon using a Buick frame of the same vintage. Overall I think rather nicely done. I guess I'm partial because I have a '61 Corvair Lakewood station wagon sitting in the side yard.

BobWaitz
05-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I had the same first reaction. My next door neighbors had a Bonneville and you could have stuffed a Lark in the trunk with room left over! Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that it was a more modern Bonneville. I sometimes enjoy looking at "More time, talent and money than brains" projects.

A local fellow has an M5 he put on a mid-80's Cutlas Supreme chassis and it looks quite stock until you get under it. The funny thing is it's powered by a 259 so when you find that out you think he dropped a Stude V8 in it.