No announcement yet.

second gear problem 3 speed T86 transmission 2R10 truck 1950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: second gear problem 3 speed T86 transmission 2R10 truck 1950

Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1743424Hello,

I am posting this for a friend of mine who owns a 1950 2R10-22 (122-inch wheelbase) 3/4 ton truck.

He is experiencing problems with his transmission, that means, only the second gear always pops out and does not stay. He means that he needs a new second gear drive for this transmission. So transmission will need to be pulled out anyway to check it out.

It is a T86 3-speed transmission without overdrive

Could you please help where to get a new second gear or parts in general for this old 3 speed transmission?

Thank you and have a nice weekend

Ruedi
    sigpic

If this is a new build, and the 2nd gear popout has been occurring since he got it on the road, he might want to check bellhousing alignment too, as that is a symptom.

If it is a recent happening, it could be shift forks, gears, synchro, or ?

I think most vendors can get their hands on hard parts and gaskets. The manual shows where things are supposed to go, and diagnosis too.
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

T-86

Originally posted by Swiss-Goldenhawk View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]34943[/ATTACH]Hello,

I am posting this for a friend of mine who owns a 1950 2R10-22 (122-inch wheelbase) 3/4 ton truck.

He is experiencing problems with his transmission, that means, only the second gear always pops out and does not stay. He means that he needs a new second gear drive for this transmission. So transmission will need to be pulled out anyway to check it out.

It is a T86 3-speed transmission without overdrive

Could you please help where to get a new second gear or parts in general for this old 3 speed transmission?

Thank you and have a nice weekend

Ruedi
      I have a complete T-86 transmission without overdrive I think came out of a truck. I can send a picture if interested and with the cover off to see the insides. It is good and asking $90 for it. I also have a good second gear but it is not new if that's his problem along with some syncros, etc. Problem might be the shipping cost though.

Ted

Comment

....goes without saying that if the engine and tranny in that truck were not matched at the factory, you need to re-dial the b-hsg and block.....very common symptom yours with this lack of attention/matching/aligning....

Comment

If they have not been replaced, look at your motor mounts. Engine movement might keep it from going all the way into second.

Comment

All valid suggestions, as is the shift linkage. When it wears or is out of adjustment, the result can be popping out of gear.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Thank you for the answers. I will tell him that.

Ruedi
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                ....goes without saying that if the engine and tranny in that truck were not matched at the factory, you need to re-dial the b-hsg and block.....very common symptom yours with this lack of attention/matching/aligning....
                How do you go about re-dialing the b-housing.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

.... if you don't have the shop manual, you need one. This is not a project for the faint at heart or novice shade tree mechanic (i.e. most Stude hobbiests). Essentially, unlike some other makes, Stude engines need to rotate with "both" crankshaft and transmission shafts near centered exactly ! (well, a few .0001's off). Others here have performed this with home made mechanical parts and procedures, so check the search function. If not performed correctly, you will break flex plates in your AT trannys, and jump out of gears (or worse) in your standard shift vehicles. Other things that can happen is starter binding and premature Bendix/ring gear wear....etc. Summary: if your drivetrain assembly is lacking this alignment, you might be in for "side of the road" trouble.....

Comment

Working...
                  X