o.d. gear stud lark1961

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: o.d. gear stud lark1961

Hi.Im new here.Im using the solenoid to get the overdrive gear engaged .I know that their is an option to transfer by manual handle.now, what is the difference between?

Welcome, Zamy!
    There should be a "T" handle under the dash, marked with "OD". If you pull out that handle it will prevent the overdrive operation, assuming of course that the cable is linked at the other end to the overdrive unit. Then you will be driving as if it were a standard three-speed at all times. With the handle/cable pushed in, the overdrive operation is available and controlled by a combination of throttle position, governor, solenoid and kick-down switch. If I have not clearly understood your question, please let me know.

Any questions you may have about the Borg-Warner overdrive, and then some, are explained in Randy Rundle's Guide Book, available from his Fifth Avenue Garage.

Last edited by rockne10; 05-16-2014, 10:04 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Always remember to Park the Car in REVERSE gear, in case the Overdrive is engaged, if so no forward gears will prevent the Car from rolling away.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Welcome, Zamy!
        There should be a "T" handle under the dash, marked with "OD". If you pull out that handle it will prevent the overdrive operation, assuming of course that the cable is linked at the other end to the overdrive unit. Then you will be driving as if it were a standard three-speed at all times. With the handle/cable pushed in, the overdrive operation is available and controlled by a combination of throttle position, governor, solenoid and kick-down switch. If I have not clearly understood your question, please let me know.

Any questions you may have about the Borg-Warner overdrive, and then some, are explained in Randy Rundle's Guide Book, available from his Fifth Avenue Garage.

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/
        I dont have the handle o.d. at all !id like to insttal it, and my previous question was if the final resalt will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Always remember to Park the Car in REVERSE gear, in case the Overdrive is engaged, if so no forward gears will prevent the Car from rolling away.
          yes I know.thanks

Comment

Ill put it again.can it operate without the solenoid ,just with the handle connecting to the lever on the gear.

Comment

NO
              Read Randy's book mentioned in a previous post.
              The handle under the dash is only to lock out the overdrive.
              This is used in hilly country where you want engine braking.
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

thanks rkapteyn

Comment

Working...
                X