PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Custom

johnod
05-15-2014, 11:07 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Champ-Spoiler-1955-Studebaker-Coupe-Custom-All-metal-fabrication-LT-1-700-R-4-Auto-/390842182542?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5b00026b8e&item=390842182542&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Chris Pile
05-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Every few years I see that thing.... I don't WANNA see that thing.

GThawkwind
05-16-2014, 12:31 AM
Oh wow! It looks like some kid took some a model of a 53 and hot glued some legos to it.

Skybolt
05-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Is it wrong to want to slap somebody????

Andy R.
05-16-2014, 01:41 AM
A C-body is being molested by a Transformer.
-or-
Automotive equivalent of a Mullet.

*I can imagine seeing it approaching from the front and passing by*
"Look kids! Here comes a Starlight Coupe...one of the most beautiful designs of the post war era...one of only 10 cars recognized by the MoMA in NYC to --- OMG! WHaT the?! Look away children! LOOK AWAY!!!

johnod
05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
It appears to be well done.
Looks like a lot of money went into it as well.

allstateguy
05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
A whole lot of money spent with a truly unfortunate outcome. All that "stuff" in the back must do something. Looks like there are ladders or tables that must pull out, and maybe the back opens up as a car-b-que??

tony58
05-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Back end looks like something that should be on the China Wall and call it Dragonbaker...Two words---IT SUCKS...
Thanks,
Tony

52-fan
05-16-2014, 11:43 AM
The ad says it was the result of the builders dreams. He must have been a very troubled man. :(

RareBird
05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Just cause you can do something...doesn't mean you should :eek:

Andy R.
05-16-2014, 01:46 PM
C'mon you guys...he just hasn't installed the FLUX CAPACITOR yet!

studegary
05-16-2014, 03:31 PM
It is called the "Spoiler". He took a nice design and spolied it. To each his own. If it sells low enough, I would like to convert it to a resto-mod where it appears mostly stock, but has more modern running gear.
It looks to me (front and rear) that it was built from a 1953, not a 1955.

EssexExport
05-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Different. Just too different. The back treatment reminds me somewhat of a Mustang. This one is probably more like an a$$.

Jerry Forrester
05-16-2014, 08:41 PM
I like it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the outside of it from the quarter windows forward.

Flashback
05-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Looks well built, BUT, If I went out in my garage and that thing was sitting there in place of the saturday night special, it would be a NIGHTMARE rather than a dream.

14x7
05-16-2014, 11:07 PM
That car is Shot! Junk !

Sdude
05-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Two words---IT SUCKS...
Thanks,
Tony

I can say it in two letters - - - EW

hausdok
05-19-2014, 04:09 AM
Burke is spinning in his grave.

My eyes actually hurt looking at that thing.

dean pearson
05-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Nope.

Dean.

Bamajak
05-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Why cant we accept others visions.........

Chris Pile
05-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Why cant we accept others visions.........

If I envisioned your Studebakers crushed by monster trucks, would you find that objectionable?

Let's face it, Jack - there is GOOD vision, and POOR vision.

That thing is an example of POOR vision.... very poor.

Bamajak
05-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I think about the person who buys this car and comes to the forum to share his joy to find disparaging comments.
Just my thoughts
I don't like every custom but try to keep my opinion to myself less I offend someone.
Just me but we need everyone not just the ones who share my taste in cars.

Jeff_H
05-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Not what I would have done... That said, I do like the grill treatment OK and those wheels are OK too. Any idea what the dash came from?

jbroomer
05-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Not my thing...I'll leave at that in deference to Jack's comments above.

8E45E
05-19-2014, 08:05 PM
It is called the "Spoiler". He took a nice design and spolied it. To each his own. If it sells low enough, I would like to convert it to a resto-mod where it appears mostly stock, but has more modern running gear.
It looks to me (front and rear) that it was built from a 1953, not a 1955.

I have stated before, it is nearly impossible to "improve" the look of a stock 1953 C or K body by drastically altering its appearance.

Craig

StudHawk60
05-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Get in line.

evilhawk
05-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Wow that is a very strange confusing custom...

Chris Pile
05-20-2014, 05:14 PM
I think about the person who buys this car and comes to the forum to share his joy to find disparaging comments.
Just my thoughts
I don't like every custom but try to keep my opinion to myself less I offend someone.

Jack, let us hope the next owner of this Studebaker rights a wrong, and does something with it to make it look better. Flat plastic slabs and fake louvers just don't work with something all graceful curves and appealing lines.

Skybolt
05-21-2014, 02:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z2Y0wf5Q84

And another look at it.

allstudedude
05-21-2014, 05:31 AM
I have but one question.....

WHY?

DEEPNHOCK
05-21-2014, 07:38 AM
Could be worse....

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10386857_674530432595261_3339115013281754179_n.jpg

johnod
05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Could be worse....

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10386857_674530432595261_3339115013281754179_n.jpg

I like the way you think. :)

johnod
05-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Just my thoughts

When I posted it, my thought was, what if someone here already owns it, same idea though.

Roscomacaw
05-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Just Ughin' Fugly! Nice that it's creator named it after himself!

gordr
05-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Just my thoughts

Well, it's a custom, and not all customs are created equal. Despite having seemingly good workmanship, and a nice interior, the rear body treatment is epic fail. It doesn't even seem to have a working pickup bed, which could kinda-sorta justify the squared-off rear panel, if it existed.

Custom cars are an artistic endeavor, and where there is art, there are art critics.

8E45E
05-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Could be worse....

It appears to be based on a 1973-77 Chevelle, looking at the hood. I guess its one way to conceal those ghastly 5mph bumpers!
Craig

studegary
05-22-2014, 03:01 PM
It appears to be based on a 1973-77 Chevelle, looking at the hood. I guess its one way to conceal those ghastly 5mph bumpers!
Craig

It was simpler to just get the 1973 Laguna model, as mine was, to get rid of the ugly front bumper.

Jefscoupe
05-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Craig

Really? I thought it was a Studebaker...I can't tell which end is the front.:lol:

As far as the original post is concerned...
I thought it looked really good...until someone glued and nailed a bunch of plywood to the back end.
I don't know, maybe the rear was crushed by a tree that fell on it.
Or maybe the "designer" had a few too many left-handed cigarettes.
I'm sorry if toes are stepped on but this kind of "customizing" should not be encouraged.
Look what happened to Picasso. No one wanted to hurt his feelings so everyone told him his paintings were great.
So he kept doing it.:rolleyes: ;)

Bamajak
05-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I know what you are saying............
But do we go to church or the mall and tell the new mother what a ugly child she has.

Well, it's a custom, and not all customs are created equal. Despite having seemingly good workmanship, and a nice interior, the rear body treatment is epic fail. It doesn't even seem to have a working pickup bed, which could kinda-sorta justify the squared-off rear panel, if it existed.

Custom cars are an artistic endeavor, and where there is art, there are art critics.

Jefscoupe
05-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Uh...I think I hear my wife calling me. See ya later guys, I gotta go.:lol:

Jerry Forrester
05-22-2014, 06:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z2Y0wf5Q84

And another look at it.

I really do like the color of that car. I think I'll paint one of mine like that.

50starlite
05-22-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't even look at all the pictures!

Dick

Bob Andrews
05-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Wow, you guys are the coolest when you rag all over somebody else's car. Yessir, if THAT doesn't bring the younsters rushing to join in, I don't know what will!

"We invented cool". LOL

Chris Pile
05-23-2014, 12:20 AM
"We invented cool".

Yes we did, Bob.
And that guy who built it butched up cool.
He took sexy and made it look..... horrible.

Bamajak
05-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks Bob

Wow, you guys are the coolest when you rag all over somebody else's car. Yessir, if THAT doesn't bring the younsters rushing to join in, I don't know what will!

"We invented cool". LOL

Bob Andrews
05-23-2014, 10:00 AM
They are never going to get it, Jack. And yet we hear caterwauling over how we can get new members. Who wants to be part of that? How blind. And silly, if it wasn't so sad.

Chris Pile
05-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Fine. You do the survey.
How many possible members avoided us because we disparaged this ugly car?

DEEPNHOCK
05-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Fine. You do the survey.

More than you think....

8E45E
05-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Okay, let's take a vote here!!

How many would want to show this particular car at an International Meet if it was given to them on that condition?

Craig

Bamajak
05-23-2014, 02:22 PM
I hope not even one...

Fine. You do the survey.

Jefscoupe
05-23-2014, 02:32 PM
I'll chime back in here:
NOT IT!

Chris Pile
05-23-2014, 02:32 PM
More than you think....

Where's your proof, Jeff?

And in response to Craig.... I'd pass if it was shown in the present condition.

Bob Andrews
05-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Fine. You do the survey.

Excellent plan, I like it. Make the club look like a bunch of crabby old cranks, then reinforce it with a silly, childish 'nyeah-nyeah' question.

Yay, let's have some more impotent ideas like drive your Studebaker day (why not drive them every day?) or T-shirts for young kids? That should work just dandy to encourage club participation. Lol.

I guess we can't project a friendly, accepting, upbeat image when so many on the forum are not a friendly, accepting, upbeat group. Twice I have recommended this club and forum to local guys. Twice they came away with a sour first impression, which led them to no second impression. I do not recommend it to anyone anymore.

I still love my Studebakers, and I love my good Studebaker friends. But I rarely come here anymore because I am way more interested in happy, forward-thinking folks who can do positive things to promote my hobby, which is under attack from so many different directions. If this falls on deaf ears, so be it; go and scratch your heads as to why young people don't want to come here. I'll pop in every few months or so, but mostly I will be with the fun people. Life is too short.

DEEPNHOCK
05-23-2014, 06:15 PM
You know what? You are right.
I have no way of knowing what you think.
It was presumptuous of me to speak out like that.
I apologize to you, and I apologize to the forum.
I have no proof, and you would not probably not accept it anyways.
I can only form opinions about someone based on what they write.

Go ahead and start a new thread and post a poll.
The posting rules say that it has to be a new thread to start a poll.

(Your suggestion...You do it)

Where's your proof, Jeff?

And in response to Craig.... I'd pass if it was shown in the present condition.

Studedude
05-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Forum mantra: "If'n ya can't find somethin' nasty to say, don't say nothin' at all!"

qsanford
05-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Maybe the Antique Studebaker Club could expand their range to include original cars through 1966? <G>

Chris Pile
05-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Forum mantra: "If'n ya can't find somethin' nasty to say, don't say nothin' at all!"

Dave, does it HAVE to be all sweetness and light in here 24/7?

I mean, real life ain't like that.

Shouldn't balls of crap (cars or members), be called balls of crap?

Huh? I trust you, Dave. Give it to me straight.

johnod
05-24-2014, 01:08 AM
I'm beginning to regret starting this thread.

Dick Steinkamp
05-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Here's the "game" that's played here at least weekly.

An "edgy" custom is found by a member somewhere on the internet...usually eBay. It's posted here with a title like "Unique Custom", or "Interesting", or "What do you think about this one?" and comments are requested. The goal being to see if the thread will produce more negative comments about the car and its owner than the last one. The piling on gets fiercer and fiercer as each expert on what a REAL Studebaker owner should do with their car tries to outdo the previous negative post.

It is obviously a fun game here for a lot of members. You get to sit anonymously behind a key board and make fun of someone and their car. You don't have to worry much about them being members. Because of the "game", there aren't many left here that would modify a Studebaker :eek:...and they certainly wouldn't post a picture of their custom if they own one. (well, maybe once ;))

It somewhat surprises me that the game is not played with poorly done STOCK Studebakers. I've seen A LOT more bad "restorations" than I've seen unattractive customs. There will be a greater chance that the owner of a "ruined" stock Studebaker will be a member here, but not to worry...you are still hiding behind that keyboard and can still have some anonymous fun at the owner's expense. Think about it. Calling unattractive STOCK Studebakers and their owners "balls of crap" would add an additional dimension to the game.

If you feel strongly that an owner is not properly representing YOUR view of the hobby, they need to know about it. But don't hide behind that key board and do it. It may not get your point across since not all Studebaker owners read this forum. You wouldn't want it that way if it was your car that someone didn't like. You'd want them to tell you to your face so that you could have a conversation with them about right vs wrong when it comes to Studebakers. Be a man. Walk right up to the owner at a car show and tell them what you think about them and their car. If it's an eBay ad, contact the seller and let them have it (be sure to include your phone number and address so that they can continue to correspond with you). The "featured" car here is at a dealer (Motoexotica) in St. Louis. If you are in the area, drop in and tell them how you feel about their "ball of crap" and about them personally. If not in the area, give them a call (636-600-4300). Be sure to identify yourself and give them your contact information. You'd want the same.

Bob Andrews
05-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Excellent post by Dick Steinkamp. I love the threads gleefully titled, 'OK guys, let's pick this one apart!' I think people attack others' cars as a way to medicate their unhappiness in their lives. We have seen obvious examples in this thread. And as Dick said, others love to try to top it! I guess that's just how it's going to be here. Thankfully, it's not like that everywhere on the 'net. Or at least, not as much.

bezhawk
05-24-2014, 07:42 PM
It may not be to everyones personal taste, but the execution looks to be well done! Hey if you guys hate it so much, why don't you buy it and make YOUR changes. That way we could all have a great time at YOUR expense!
I have no stake in this, but someone put forth a lot of effort and money to build this. And if i'm not mistaken, he didn't need your ok to do so. The whole purpose of the club is to share an interest in the marque no matter what form it may take.
I guess I won't tell you of the Golden Hawk demolition derby project!!!! (just kidding) Geeze!

PlainBrownR2
05-24-2014, 09:07 PM
It may not be to everyones personal taste, but the execution looks to be well done! Hey if you guys hate it so much, why don't you buy it and make YOUR changes. That way we could all have a great time at YOUR expense!
I have no stake in this, but someone put forth a lot of effort and money to build this. And if i'm not mistaken, he didn't need your ok to do so. The whole purpose of the club is to share an interest in the marque no matter what form it may take.
I guess I won't tell you of the Golden Hawk demolition derby project!!!! (just kidding) Geeze!

Taking bets on 10 to 1, that the frame under the Golden Hawk lasts longer than the Lark's! :rolleyes: :lol:

Reggie
05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Well, since this thread is already controversial, and I just assume it was meant to be, let me take my turn stirring the pot. One time waaaaay up North dere in wah-skonsin, dey have dat Old CArs Iola Meet. I had driven my car many, many miles clear out in da wilderness, to IOLA. Anyway, I had been wandering around, looking at stuff, and came back to my own car & found two guys verbally trashing my car. I just watched them for awhile, and laughed. I says---I says---I says--I go---so where's your cars, guys? I wanna go take a look. Mwahahaha! They just hurried away. It was funny. Then there are the cars on American Nitro Facebook Group. These are usually very impractical hillbilly hotrods, where Form not only precedes function---it IS the function. Like, take a 53 Studebaker truck, chop it, put suicide doors on it, a flip front, a 53 Desoto hemi with a cam with 800 million degrees of duration; blower and 3-4's, & mount it on a four-wheel-drive chassis with enormous tires. Stuff like that. It's no good for the street, not competitive for the track, & esthetically---much worse. The only thing it has going for it is how outrageous it is. I guess that if it provokes outrage or at least criticism, it is, they've succeeded in at least one respect. Seriously, I DO see some redeeming social value in critiqueing cars that are presented publicly, especially if they are for sale and overvalued. But, like everything else, there are limits before it becomes toxic. I would not advocate anyone invading someone's privacy, trespassing on private property, to photograph a vehicle to publish it on a web board. And, care must be taken not to make it a personal attack, or just being too blunt and judgmental in a criticism. Like--"that thing is an ugly piece of junk!" Just my 2 cents.

johnod
05-31-2014, 11:35 PM
I started this thread, and no I didn't start it to be controversial, nor did I start it to see who could be most insulting.
I certainly didn't start it so it could devolve into the mudslinging contest it became.

I just thought it was an pretty unusual custom, hence the title.

Dick Steinkamp
06-01-2014, 09:48 AM
I apologize, johnod, if that wasn't your intent. I guess it was just too much "bait" for the rest of the crew here.

Chris Pile
06-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I apologize, johnod, if that wasn't your intent. I guess it was just too much "bait" for the rest of the crew here.

OK, Dick - you've restored a couple nice Studebakers customs and modifieds.
Why don't YOU buy it?

It's ugly. That's the truth.
Bunch of plasticy-looking flat panels stuck on what used to be sexy curves.
And those louvers - WTH?
It's like somebody slapped a day-glo colored skateboarder decal on the Mona Lisa.

johnod
06-01-2014, 11:50 AM

No apology necessary, I just like customs, some more than others, this one is very unusual to my eyes, for some reason, it reminds me of some sort of specialty emergency vehicle.
Given the colour I'd say FD, like some fire dept higher up had his own personal vehicle customized.

Frankly I'm surprised this other custom thread I started hardly raised an eyebrow, good or bad.
It is far more radical.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?81360-And-Now-for-Something-Completly-Different

Pat Dilling
06-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Well, clearly there were some people who liked it. It drew 7 bids and an $11,000 final. Obviously that is way less than what was invested to build it. I think it is reasonable to offer honest opinions or critiques without getting personal or insulting. While it is not the way I would do it, I can certainly appreciate the effort and workmanship that went into the car. That's the thing about customs, and even some factory cars, not everyone is going to like them. As for bringing it to an International Meet, I can think of a few I have seen at them that were at least as "unusual" and not nearly so well done.

jimmijim8
06-01-2014, 01:43 PM
You really nailed it when you mentioned stock restored offerings Dick. I too would like to see what the critics of the custom have to show. Like said, I've seen plenty of homely looking Studes and ain't about to rant about 'em. Then again, I've had enough fetchin up to know that to do so is just poor manners/taste. There's room in Studebaker Land for all types. Cars and folks. Now that's what I call the good and bad of the Stude marque. cheers jimmijim

StudeRich
06-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Really? I can't believe this post is still at the top of the most clicked list since 5/15!

All I can say is, that is a very well done Custom, that cost a bucket of cash, it just lacks some design thought.

We really don't need a bunch of psycho analytical posts about our Members.

Bamajak
06-01-2014, 02:39 PM
All I am saying..........is give Peace a chance.

rusty65
06-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Real simple ballgame here, and I've said it a bunch of times-"Your money, your ride."It's certainly a 'neat' car, though it isin't my cup of tea by any means.I wouldn't mind having the money that was spent on that vehicle, and put that towards the restoration/modification of my Stude!

sbca96
06-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Here's the "game" that's played here at least weekly... snip ... It is obviously a fun game here for a lot of members. You get to sit anonymously behind a key board and make fun of someone and their car. You don't have to worry much about them being members. Because of the "game", there aren't many left here that would modify a Studebaker :eek:...and they certainly wouldn't post a picture of their custom if they own one.

^^
That's pretty much spot on, and a reason why I lost interest here. Recently, I came back since I have a product that I feel the Studebaker world can benefit from. I was laid off back in June 2013 (in a horrible economy), so I can certainly use the help paying my mortgage. Adding insult to injury, I was only "allowed" 6 months of unemployment as Mr HopeNChange directed the money I paid into the system to those that have never paid a dime in their life.

I still have a few people here that do what they can to harass me, I gave Racing Studebakers a try again, but I don't need the aggravation. Years ago when I posted up pictures of my Avanti with 17 inch wheels I was met with quite a lot of negative comments. I "ruined" the car with "baby buggy" wheels and even received comments about ethnic background, my intelligence level, and my state of mental health. I got emails and private messages picking apart the car, and me as a person. My usage of the English Language was nit-picked, one member here sent me a 2-3 page email describing how I was single handedly destroying the Language with improper use of thEn and thAn (still does it). A Biggs person here sent me emails describing, at length, how I was apparently a "privileged" person spending "Daddies money" - how I wish that was true.

I have written quite a few tech articles here, articles for Avanti Magazine, and give quite a lot to the hobby. There are some people here that make the effort worthwhile, but the few that enjoy harassing, really take the fun out of it. I frequent many other car forums .. and this is not something I see to this degree on other forums. Just Studebaker ones, not even "Avanti". Its weird.

Here it is after I cleaned it up from sitting on some guys dirt side yard :

http://www.emperorjordan.com/sbca96/images/Avantioldimages/Avantiold2.jpg

Here is MY ugly Studebaker now, it has even graced the Cover of Avanti Magazine, and no Biggs .. I wasnt paid.

http://emperorjordan.com/sbca96/images/Avantinewimages/Cover_Picture_Day/cover50percent.jpg

Here is the picture that brought the initial hate (RUINED!) :

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/sbca96/Cobradisk/Avanti03Rims4.jpg

Many people REALLY like it ... and I received lots of positive feedback ... its a hit with local kids, with the old skinny tires and hubcaps shown above it didnt get a second look :

http://www.emperorjordan.com/sbca96/images/Avantinewimages/Cobra_brake_breakin/cobra_brake_testdrive004a.jpg

http://emperorjordan.com/sbca96/images/Avantinewimages/Cover_Picture_Day/L_Covershot2_011a.jpg

As far as the car that started this debate (or continued it as this comes up often on this Forum), I would say I love about 85% of the car. The rear roof treatment isnt to my taste either, but its not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I think the worst part about it is the use of right angles on a rounded car, it wouldnt take too much to alter and finish off the concept staying more true to the original design.

Tom

avantilover
06-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Am locking the thread as it's getting somewhat personal. Thx to all for another "lively" thread.