The infamous Mobil Oil Studebaker-destroying commercial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The infamous Mobil Oil Studebaker-destroying commercial

I just watched a documentary on PBS called, "The Real Mad Men and Women of Madison Avenue," which was about the advertising industry in the 1960s. About 3/4 through, they interviewed the man responsible for the infamous (at least for us here) Mobil TV commercial on auto safety in which a Studebaker is pushed off a 10 story building and destroyed. It's even worse than we first thought. Three identical cars were purchased. The first landed on its roof. Take two. The second plowed into the pavement nose-first as desired. The guy said something to the effect that we had such a good time destroying the other two cars, we pushed the third one off the roof just for the fun of it. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Last October when we discussed this topic, we suspected as much.

Mark L
    Mark L

Comment

Thanks, Mark. I thought this ad was discussed a while back here. Thanks for taking the time to search out and bring back the link. Sadly, you were right back in October. What really hurts is that the third one was destroyed "just for the fun of it."

Comment

Ah well, even though Mobil used Studebakers and showed them in an unfair light, I still wish they would make such ads. We still need them.
        Funny how the National Transportation Safety Board used to try persuading us to drive safely:
        "Buckle up for safety, buckle up! Buckle up for safety, always buckle up! Show the world you care by the belt you wear. Buckle up for safety, everybody, buckle up!"

Now they badger and bully us with, "Click it, or Ticket!" The government's attitude used to be that of public service. Now it's one of control and superiority.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          Ah well, even though Mobil used Studebakers and showed them in an unfair light, I still wish they would make such ads. We still need them.
          Funny how the National Transportation Safety Board used to try persuading us to drive safely:

Now they badger and bully us with, "Click it, or Ticket!" The government's attitude used to be that of public service. Now it's one of control and superiority.
          And one of money. Those tickets can be pricey. With all the air bags, etc. in today's cars, some people have a false sense of safety in their modern computers. Their cars will save them from themselves. Fear has always been the base appeal for advertising. Check into Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Only the pocketbook is left to be injured in a car wreck. So let's hit 'em in the place that will always hurt the most for a lot of folks.

Comment

I wonder what the folks on the assembly line thought........? I remember dating a gal whose family was in the sugar business (Domino Executive).....every time he ordered a coffee he would take 3 tsp of sugar and throw it over his shoulder.........:-)

Comment

Working...
            X