PDA

View Full Version : The 'clock' on a Stude block

tomnoller
10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Does anybody know what's with the clock-like thang on the side of a Stude block? Nine or so dots in a circle with one pointer held down by a screw, but it's all in relief on the casting. I've always wondered if that signified the time of day it was cast. ??

Western Washington, USA

rockne10
10-09-2007, 07:33 PM
quote:I've always wondered if that signified the time of day it was cast. ??
Correct. That, and other casting information, helped determine when a particular mold was getting past it's prime.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://www.4wheelz.net/virtual/images/rockne/1928_rockne03_f820_th.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

rockne10
10-09-2007, 07:33 PM
quote:I've always wondered if that signified the time of day it was cast. ??
Correct. That, and other casting information, helped determine when a particular mold was getting past it's prime.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://www.4wheelz.net/virtual/images/rockne/1928_rockne03_f820_th.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

A1956GoldenHawk
10-09-2007, 08:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Does anybody know what's with the clock-like thang on the side of a Stude block? Nine or so dots in a circle with one pointer held down by a screw, but it's all in relief on the casting. I've always wondered if that signified the time of day it was cast. ??
Western Washington, USA

It told the workers up and down the assembly line what time to go on strike!

No, I'm just just kidding you![:o)]

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

A1956GoldenHawk
10-09-2007, 08:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Western Washington, USA

It told the workers up and down the assembly line what time to go on strike!

No, I'm just just kidding you![:o)]

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>