Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Townsend, TN this weekend.

Anyone going?
    I'll be over in Pigeon Forge and going to really try to drive over on Saturday for a little while.

My favorite meet. Didnt realize it was this weekend but I will be there. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

It slipped up on me, as well. The grandkids are staying over at our house on Friday night. Maybe, my grandson and I can go up on Saturday.

Comment

Can someone tell us a little about this meet? Or is there an ad in the TW we can review? I might be able to make it, but have never been before.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          Can someone tell us a little about this meet? Or is there an ad in the TW we can review? I might be able to make it, but have never been before.
          Thanks

Cool cars, Great folks, Good music, a few pieces and parts and the occasional vehicle for sale, always a little something to snack on. Townsend is a beautiful town nestled in the Great Smokey Mountains. We travel through the Cherokee Indian reservation and across the Great Smokies Parkway into Cades Cove then turn towards Townsend. It is a most lovely drive. Usually around 50ish cars (guess) show up and a great time is had by all. Meet HQ is the Talley Ho Inn. Follow the signs to Townsend and there it is. Never had an issue finding it so dont have directions. Most everything happens Sat but we have met many other fine Stude folk there on Fridays and many were left when we pulled out usually Sat night. Lots of stuff around for the wife and kids to get into. great luck, Steve
          Last edited by wolfie; 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Well...I agree with Steve that it is a very fun event. For the past several years, circumstances have kept me away. This year is no different. My Son-in-law, Grandson, and I will be at the Charlotte All-star race. First NASCAR race for my grandson and they bought me a ticket. I have not been to a race since 1988. Otherwise, I'd probably be in Townsend. I hope all that go will have a wonderful time.

As far as power steering on those winding roads...I never had a problem as long as the car was moving. If you need power steering to steer a rolling Studebaker (even on mountain hairpin curves)...you need a steering overhaul.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              As far as power steering on those winding roads...I never had a problem as long as the car was moving. If you need power steering to steer a rolling Studebaker (even on mountain hairpin curves)...you need a steering overhaul.

True, One can make it OK without power steering/brakes, just give due respect to those mountain roads. I drove this route many times as a young man in several pickups (including the 63 T-cab) none of which had power steering or brakes and survived it alright. Even took a motorhome a few times and various camper trailers at other times without issue. More fun on the motorcycle when traffic cooperates. We'll miss you John but enjoy the race and the grandkids. Hope to see the rest of you there! Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Linda and I will be making the trip over in the Studemino. Joe I have the flyer up on the Southeast Zone page on Facebook. Or email me at bamajak@gmail.com and I will send you the flyer it is a great meet.
                Jack White
                Jack White
                Charlotte,NC
                North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Thanks Jack & Wolfie. I found the flyer on FB. Its less than 300 miles from home, hope I can make it.

Comment

Hope to make it some day , We usually go to Townsend when ever we vacation in Pigeon Forge . Knew their was a Studebaker meet their . Sorry I can't make it this year .
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Well folks for those whoo are going to Townsend this weekend, I have it from a very good source that "Vana" will be gracing the showgrounds. Who is "Vana" ypu ask? She was the Avanti given away on "Wheel of Fortune" back in the 80's. She always looks good dressed in Red especially when she has her top down. Look her up and enjoy the view. She now lives near in Greene County.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

It's decided. The wife and myself with both grandchildren will be going tomorrow night. The meet hotel was full, but the place where we got reservations is supposedly next door. The grandson wants to sell some diecast cars. (Both grandkids, seven and three years old, are card-carrying members of the SDC.) Sad news is that we're not taking a Studebaker because we don't have one with adequate seat belts. We could take two cars, but at today's gasoline prices it is unlikely. Hope to see many of you there.

Comment

Working...
                        X