Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Starter trouble. Delco-Remy 1107748 Vs Autolite MDU-7005

Hello folks,
    I'd like to have your advice about this.
    My starter made some noises, so I removed it from the engine. I discovered it wasn't the right one. The parts book shows an Autolite MDU-7005 (63S) but I have a Delco-Remy 1107748 used on 59S, 59V, 60V and 61V.
    I read somewhere that this starter was a desirable one, due to its four brushes instead of two, but I'm not quite sure that it is fully interchangeable with the original one. Would you have some info about this? Moreover, the snout of the starter is 2" 3/4 and seems too long in regard of the position of the flywheel. What would be the correct length for a 63S?
    Thanks in advance and nice day to all.
    Christophe
    sigpic

During the 1959 model year Studebaker went from using AutoLite components to Delco in the six cylinder models. Delco 1107748 is Studebaker number 1548970. It doesn't fit V8 models. The illustration in the parts catalog says it is 'similar' to 59V-60V-61V, so that's a little misleading.
    I do not remember what transmission is in your car, you mentioned a flywheel? A starter snout that measures 2 3/4" is for a car with automatic transmission.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
      During the 1959 model year Studebaker went from using AutoLite components to Delco in the six cylinder models. Delco 1107748 is Studebaker number 1548970. It doesn't fit V8 models. The illustration in the parts catalog says it is 'similar' to 59V-60V-61V, so that's a little misleading.
      I do not remember what transmission is in your car, you mentioned a flywheel? A starter snout that measures 2 3/4" is for a car with automatic transmission.
      6 cylinder Larks used the same starter whether automatic or standard transmission.
      Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 05-13-2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.
        Dwain, you are right, of course. 1107748 only fits 59S. I read the illustration but forgot to refer to the chart. My car has the standard gearbox. I found an illustration on Ray-Lin site which shows the starter snouts but only for V-8's. It shows a 2 3/4" snout for automatics. I found other pictures on the net. They seem to also show a 2 3/4" snout for 6 cylinder models.
        Thanks Jerry for the confirmation. That's what I thought as they don't make any difference in the catalog between standard and automatic transmissions.
        I found a new Bendix drive. The old one was defective and didn't lock anymore. I also discovered that with a Folo-Thru drive, you are supposed to install the starter on the engine with the drive in the fully extended positon. This allows a more accurate positionning. There were some traces on the old drive. I assumed that they were made by interference with the flywheel but I'm wondering now if they have been made by someone who knocked the Bendix to disengage it from the locked position. I will test again and report the results.
        Nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

I seem to have a hard time remembering that Christophe's GT is a special export 6 cyl. model.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            I seem to have a hard time remembering that Christophe's GT is a special export 6 cyl. model.
            Believe me, a little beer can smooth out all this!
            Nice evening to all.
            sigpic

Comment

Hello folks,
              Just a little update. I put the starter back this week-end. Everything is OK now. I can confirm that a Delco 1107748 is usable en lieu of an Autolite MDU 7005 on an OHV6. The problem was a defective starter drive.
              Nice day to all.
              sigpic

Comment

I have an MDU 7005 7U on my '64 Champ pick-up.

Comment

Do you have a picture of what the starter looks like? I have a 61 Lark OHV 6 3spdOD and I'd like to know which one i have. Im in the make it move stage but in case it goes out, i want to know what im dealing with.
                  At one point i had an issue where the bendix wouldnt come out and it just spun without extending. I removed the lube screw and sprayed a bunch of WD-40 in there and it magically worked!

Comment

Sorry I got no pictures, but the plate affixed to the starter will tell you all the story.
                    Nice day to all.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X