Freeze Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Freeze Plugs

I had my 58 GH engine rebuilt about one year ago and instantly saw water seeping from all of my freeze plugs. I was told to put stop leak in it and problem stopped until last night while taking cruise on back roads of Michigan and noticed temp gauge rapidly rising. After $104 ride home I found that one of the freeze plugs had just fallen out. I imagine they were either wrong ones or installed wrong. I found a box of expansion plug 1 1/2" steel cup plugs in the garage that have about a 1/4" lip on them. Wondering if these are best to use on this, if the cup goes in or out and if permatex 2 is sufficient and any other helpful advice. Also thanks to the off duty Michigan State Trooper who stopped and found a tow truck for me in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. Thanks, Tim

No, the freeze plus, or core plugs are not the cup type on your 58 engine. They are a domed disc. You put the curved side out and hit them directly in the middle with a ball peen hammer to flatten the dome enough to wedge into the block. The curved side must face outward or hitting them will not expand them. I always use Indian Head red gasket shellac as a core plug sealant. Some people use JB Weld. Never use silicone as it prevents the edges from gripping tightly.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

What Bez said.
      I would suspect other work that that engine shop did. Are they also the ones that told you to put stop leak in? That is not a repair for a core plug.
      I would suggest replacing all of the core plugs.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Are they 1 1/2" and are they available at any auto parts store. Thanks, Tim

Comment

1 1/2 and yes any parts store will have them, when I did them on my 54 3r5 I had some room to work it might be tight on yours. I used permatex and there was no problem.

Comment

Yeah Wow. Super shady engine shop. If you can't install freeze plug correctly you have no business being near any other part of an engine.

Comment

I used to carry one of those rubber expansion plugs with a washer on both sides and an adjusting nut in my tool box. (Please don't ask why.) Then I learned the correct way to install them.
              But one of those plugs might be needed if you cannot swing a hammer at the installed engine block.

Comment

Just for sake of argument...

A "ball peen" is NOT the best way to expand these plugs...
                While doing this work in the car is challenging enough, use something with a very large radius, almost flat, to hit the plug with will give the best results. And as you are hitting the plug, continue to go around in a circle to make the plug as "flat" as you can make it.
                Do NOT just smack the center so that there is a "dimple" in the center, these plugs are designed to have the best expansion into the block when they are "flat".
                I use a rod/shaft that's about 3/4" round x about 12" long (what I've used), as I said, a large radius ground on the end. It would be flat...but you normally can't get a straight hit onto the plug...hence the slight round shape.

So just remember, the flatter the core plug ends up, the better.

And yea, some sort of sealer can't hurt.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X