Steering gear 56 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering gear 56 Champion

My steering gear when adjusted so there is not too much slack is tight in the middle. Would that be too much wear on the sector shaft or the worm? It is drivable but not comfortably. I see SI has new sector shafts available.
    Nick

That would be my guess, too much wear to adjust. Have you tried just backing it off just the slightest amount?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it's a manual saginaw S.I. doesn't offer the worm(they call it the steering shaft) i'm in the same boat, read somewhere that forklifts use the same set up. I'm checking into that, anybody have input as to make/model would help. As for wear, i'd think you would see more in the center of travel then the ends, but mine is the same way as stated above. I'm really don't want to intall it that way

Comment

Anybody ever remove the worm from the steering shaft on a manual saginaw?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          That would be my guess, too much wear to adjust. Have you tried just backing it off just the slightest amount?
          Yes that is what I have done to get by but not really how I would like it ti o feel going down the road.
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 50pete View Post
            Anybody ever remove the worm from the steering shaft on a manual saginaw?
            Here's a factory rebuild procedure for a Saginaw box...
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance...57632210242370

Comment

Wow that Chevy Truck Saginaw is a Lot like the '61 to '66 Larks and Lark Types.
              It would be a lot of help when working on those.

Unfortunately it will not help any of the posters with the early Champion Six Type Saginaw non-Recirculating Ball Type gear.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-08-2014, 08:13 PM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK guys, first the Champion steering box is a Ross unit model TL.
                I went back to the manual and it talks about the high spot as being there and the adjustment for it. It seems to me that it has a bit much slack each side of it but they do not mention how much slack is allowable. Just how much pull on the steering wheel is required to pass over the high spot when adjusted properly. 16-24 ounces, which seems a bit much to me. I guess in the 50+ years as a mechanic I never had to work on a Ross box.
                Nick

Comment

The 532273 Sector Shaft IS available also the Worm Gear and shaft is a "Call" item at S.I. With the Ross TL Box, you have a shot at finding your needed NOS parts, while they last.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X