PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Studebaker Lark Tinted Glass

effiedude
05-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I was just wondering if the dark green tinted glass in My 1959 Lark Regal VIII 4Dr. is worth saving? I've seen the same year car as mine with clear glass and One with the dark green tinted glass in them. The car is pretty much a rust bucket and the interior is trashed. The glass and all the trim are in really nice shape and was wondering if there is any value in the pieces?
The car is a Lark VIII and has the 259 and automatic trans in it. Anyone who is interested please give Me a shout and We'll talk shop. The brakes on the car were new in 1987 when the car was parked in Sedro Woolley Washington State.
~effiedude

StudeRich
05-07-2014, 12:35 PM
That depends if by "Glass" you mean a good, no wiper burns, or rock chips, Light Green, Factory Tinted WINDSHIELD or not.
Those are the most often needed, especially here in WA where everyone drives on gravel and then hits the Interstate.

If it is the flat glass (Doors) and rear Window, those are a bit rare in Light Green and could be used in a SDC Member's '59 or '60 Lark.

I have never seen any Factory Tinted Glass that I could call DARK Green, but in '53 to '58 Cars, it was darker than '59 to '66. I wonder if it is aftermarket or "Custom" Tinted?

warrlaw1
05-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I love the dark green tint. My aunt had a 60 Lark, dark green with light green interior. Looked like a little Mercedes.

rockne10
05-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Tinting does keep interiors slightly cooler and is valued for decreasing the load on air conditioners if a vehicle is so equipped.
I would agree with Rich, if it's not in your way and not scratched or chipped, advertise it and see what you get.

effiedude
05-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Rich, May haps not as dark green as I thought, But definitely green factory tint, My 59 Wagon(Has clear glass where the 59 Lark has green glass.
Also just wondering doesn't the curved rear window of the 1959 Lark fit another year of Studebaker car? all replies are appreciated.

StudeRich
05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
That depends if by "Glass" you mean a good, no wiper burns, or rock chips, Light Green, Factory Tinted WINDSHIELD or not.
Those are the most often needed, especially here in WA where everyone drives on gravel and then hits the Interstate.

If it is the flat glass (Doors) and rear Window, those are a bit rare in Light Green and could be used in a SDC Member's '59 or '60 Lark.

Rich, May haps not as dark green as I thought, But definitely green factory tint, My 59 Wagon(Has clear glass where the 59 Lark has green glass.
Also just wondering doesn't the curved rear window of the 1959 Lark fit another year of Studebaker car? all replies are appreciated.

See Post # 2, so IS there a GOOD Tinted Windshield?

jackb
05-07-2014, 05:07 PM
...You need to find someone with a project Lark that has all the glass out now, or soon. Otherwise you'll likely sit on them for years and if you don't damage some of it, you'll throw them out one Sat morning with the trash.....

Roscomacaw
05-07-2014, 06:01 PM
...You need to find someone with a project Lark that has all the glass out now, or soon. Otherwise you'll likely sit on them for years and if you don't damage some of it, you'll throw them out one Sat morning with the trash.....
As I just did with a 60 Wagon rear glass and frame that was here for decades.

effiedude
05-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Well perhaps that's true! I guess when I'm done with the car I will toss it out here on the forum and see if anyone would want it for body and trim.
Rich, the front windshield has a crack that deems the shield unusable.

DMB-8
05-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I would be interested in the front two door glass and regulators Also the vent windows as I am doing a 62 champ pickup and my glass is missing.I believe
the glass is the same on 59 and 60 lark.If not someone let me know.Thank You.Don Borger 724-651-9320 Phone #

StudeRich
05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I would be interested in the front two door glass and regulators Also the vent windows as I am doing a 62 champ pickup and my glass is missing.I believe
the glass is the same on 59 and 60 lark.If not someone let me know.Thank You.Don Borger 724-651-9320 Phone #

That depends on the Body Type, since this is a 4 Door it will work, '59 to '62 Larks show the same Part Number for 4 Doors but not 4 Door Wagons.

Earlier Cars; Late '55 to '58 4 Doors show a different Part Number for BOTH Clear & Tinted though they look alike. I wonder if that is just Libby Owens Ford (LOF) vs PPG?