Is a Studebaker right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Studebaker right for me?

Hello! I'm new to the forum. My name's Spyros, I'm Greek, and I am looking for a classic car. Hopefully you can help me make a decision.

So here's the deal, this will be my first true Classic car. I've owned a 1984 Volvo but I don't know that I'd consider that a classic. I'm looking for a reliable daily driver, and I put a lot of miles on my cars but I also take very good care of them. The car I'm looking at is a nearly fully restored 1965 Studebaker Commander 4-door with the Thunderbolt V8 engine. Would you consider these vehicles to be reliable? Are replacement parts easy or difficult to come by? How difficult is this car to maintain?

Any advice is appreciated, it's a beautiful car and is in my price range, but I want to know what I'm getting into. Thank you!

Probably the best choice of Studebaker to start with. 1965/66 have GM small block engines, easy to maintain, and most local parts will have parts for it. More than likely it's a 283 cu. in. When you go to buy ignition parts, I've found it's easier to ask for parts for 65/66 Chevy 283. Studebakers in general make excellent daily transportation, I drive one everyday. Go for it.
    Kim

Comment

Welcome.

I also use a Studebaker (1959 Lark) as a daily driver. As kamzack (above) stated, the Stude/Chevy 283 engine in the car you are looking at was built for many, many years, so replacement/upgrade parts are plentyfull. Just understand that the 283, the 327 and the 350 are all very close brothers, so most all parts are fully interchangeable.

My Stude has been very good to me in many miles and only once in 15+ years, left me stranded, on the freeway. And that was a thermostat problem, not really Stude related..!

Try to get a much as a history on the car as you can.
      There are a hand full of Stude parts vendors that can supply you with both NOS and reproduction mechanical, suspension and some body parts. Electrical parts are also available, along with lenses and some switches.

Good luck, have fun.

Mike

Comment

I find it easier to get parts for my Studebaker than my 24 year old Acura. Like everyone says, the 283 was a great engine, and all things being equal, should last longer than other cars in the price range. Go for it and welcome to the forum.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm happy to hear that the Studebaker I'm looking at should be easy to find parts for. The main bit of advice I get for a first-time classic car buyer is "Get something with easily available parts."
          On a side note (and I don't mean to desecrate the car) What kind of MPG could I expect in this car? I've heard that you can upgrade to fuel injection for improved economy. Is that a difficult job? Finally, is it possible to install an air conditioning system in this car, and do you know of anyone who sells the kits to do that?

Comment

Ditto. I drive a '61 Champ truck (all Studebaker) on a daily basis and it is loads of fun. It's never boring driving one of these. The attention you will get will make you smile. Have fun and happy Studebakering.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

As long as you understand that maintenance is NOT like a New Car with 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and almost no Lubrication (Lube) Jobs required.

There are around 16 Zerk Fittings to be Greased with Chassis Grease EVERY 2000 Miles along with an Oil and Filter Change.

There are a few normal Maintenance items to be periodically adjusted as well like Automatic Trans. Bands and throttle Pressure.

If you do your own Repairs and Maintenance it will be very reasonable and easy because they are simple and durable machines.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                As long as you understand that maintenance is NOT like a New Car with 10,000 Mile Oil Changes and almost no Lubrication (Lube) Jobs required.
                One of the great things about having an older car; I can actually do my own repairs and maintenance. I love the bond it creates with the car. I'm afraid to do anything under the hood on my new 2012 vehicle, and I hate that.

Comment

You could "upgrade" to fuel injection, but I doubt you would ever recover the cost of doing so through improved fuel economy.

Air conditioning kits available here: http://www.vintageair.com/
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Spyros,
                    You ask, "Is a Studebaker right for me? "

Given your experience and expressed desire, I would say a 65 Studebaker is the very best of all choices, provided you avail yourself of the resources of the Studebaker Drivers Club. I've heard laments from folks who just can't find what they need within the antique automobile community or the swap meets at Hershey and Carlisle.
                    Join the SDC and find out you never knew it could be that easy! With over 12,000 members, we tend to take our favored marque for granted.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

As others have said, a 1965/66 Stude is a good choice for first Stude. Either the six or V8 motor is very capable. In the mid to late 1980s, I had a 1965 Stude Sport Sedan with 283 motor, 2 barrel carb, single exhaust, automatic, and 3.07 rear end. If I recall it got about 17-18 MPG on the open road. It had AC which worked great, as did the heater. I often wish I had that car back.

Comment

Yassou Spyros, Air Conditioning can be fitted to the car, by means of an under dash unit. Not always easy to find an original unit, so look at Vintage Air, they should have something suitable.

Now that I've said this, one of our vendors will no doubt pop up and say " I've got one" which will be good. The units work well, my 1966 is very chilly, unfortunately it requires a new compressor which will be fitted later.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Spy View Post
                          Hello! I'm new to the forum. My name's Spyros, I'm Greek, and I am looking for a classic car. Hopefully you can help me make a decision.

So here's the deal, this will be my first true Classic car. I've owned a 1984 Volvo but I don't know that I'd consider that a classic. I'm looking for a reliable daily driver, and I put a lot of miles on my cars but I also take very good care of them. The car I'm looking at is a nearly fully restored 1965 Studebaker Commander 4-door with the Thunderbolt V8 engine. Would you consider these vehicles to be reliable? Are replacement parts easy or difficult to come by? How difficult is this car to maintain?

Any advice is appreciated, it's a beautiful car and is in my price range, but I want to know what I'm getting into. Thank you!
                          Welcome aboard.
                          I will deviate from the consensus above. Most seem to think that the 65 4 door is the best choice for the variety of reasons noted.
                          I would suggest you look around and find a body style that stirs you. Then consider moving in the direction that takes you.
                          The Studebaker V8s are as reliable as the Chevy engines. They have as much or more power and are a pleasure to drive. Other than the engine itself, the rest of the cars' mechanicals are the same as most other Studes since 1951. Take a look at the Bullet Nose style, the 53s and 54s, and the Finned Hawk line. See if any of those create any stirrings, then proceed to look for one which will suit your ambitions.
                          Cuz, maybe its time to break away from the boxy styling of the Volvo, (and the 65 Stude), and go for the sexy curves of the Hawks?
                          sals54

Comment

Agree in total with you, Sal but, Spyros indicates the '65 is there, extant, solid, available and interesting. Would you advise he pass because it is a Chevy McKinnon rather than a South Bend powerplant?
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Personally, the McKinnon makes the car lighter and my 1966 Daytona is a joy to drive, much prefer it to my 1962, but was happy with that one as well.
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X