Champ truck with an R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ truck with an R2

I have heard that Granatelli might have built a 63 or 64 champ truck with an R2 as a tow or push vehicle. Does anyone know anything about such a truck or know of an example of it being done before? Any pictures?

I have a 1/2 ton short box 63 with a 259 and think making a "super champ" would be really neat and really something different. Lots of clearance, should be easy to do. Any information or thoughts?

Matt
    Matthew Wendt

IIRC, Studebaker built two Champ trucks with R2 engines. I do not know anything about Granatelli building any. Build what you like.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I saw a Champ truck with a R2 at a auction in Charlotte 15 or so years ago that the seller said was factory installed ......but I dont think so.
      I have a R1 Champ but I put in the engine.
      Jack White
      Charlotte,NC
      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Yes there were TWO Factory or most likely Paxton Products Div. built, R2 short Wide Box Pickups built, and most likely both owned by Paxton who Andy was the President of.

The Blue Mist
        (must have been Black originally) Truck was painted Light Gray, and the second owner who bought it from Paxton in Santa Monica was one of the Parts Guys at Frank H. Afton Studebaker in Inglewood, CA.
        I did SEE the Truck in 1965, it had a 3.73 TT Rear and was quite the street screamer around the South Bay Area of L.A.
        It had a T-10 4 Speed and Stock/Modified Dunlap/Bendix Disc brakes.

There have been posts about these Trucks and someone knew the whereabouts of one.

05/04/2014 UPDATE: in Maroon.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-04-2014, 03:03 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rode with a friend many years ago in a Champ with a supercharged 259 so I know it will fit. Of course the owner had built this one but it was strong. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Not sure about the R2 but I saw an R3 equipped Ch
            amp at La Palma Studebaker show in 2011.

Looks like fun to me.

Comment

I stopped and looked at a "T" cab truck in Princeton Illinois.
              The owner said that he wanted to buy a 1964 R2 Hawk but really needed a truck.
              He mentioned that to the Studebaker dealer and the dealer made a call to the factory
              and the factory rep said that they will build anything the customer wanted and the R2 Champ was ordered and delivered.
              I lost track of this truck but the owner was aware of its rarity and it still looked good in 1969.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

That truck is great! Its the ultimate sleeper!

Comment

To clarify:

Two R2-powered Champ trucks were built, both in South Bend by Studebaker, a white one with automatic, and one black one with 4-speed. Both Serial Numbers are known, but I don't have time to find them right now.

The white one was shipped to my favorite haunt in Indianapolis, Snider Auto Service. I saw it there at age 17 and looked it over before it was delivered to the original purchaser, a gentleman whom I believed owned a construction company around Indianapolis and a 1957 or 1958 Golden Hawk.

To the best of my knowledge, that white one disappeared into the bowels of the salty midwest, although it sounds like Bob Kapetyn, Post #7, may have had a sighting in 1969.

The black truck went west, survives, and has been discussed here. Perhaps someone will post more about it. Nels? BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=champ+dual

Craig

Comment

Nels
                      How did they install the FM in the Champ? I know a guy locally who claims to own the last factory tow truck with an FM. I have not seen this truck. We "made" one for my Dad's '64 Champ to look "factory". Sorry I can't post at present.
                      Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                        Not sure about the R2 but I saw an R3 equipped Ch
                        amp at La Palma Studebaker show in 2011.

Looks like fun to me.
                        Someone must have really modified that Champ. It looks just like a 2R pickup!
                        I guess it's an R-3 2R.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

The 2R pictured above belongs to Orange County Studebaker. I saw it last year at the Los Angeles Winter Meet. In talking with Jason, I believe he told me it was more R2 then R3. Besides what you see under the hood one other thing that jumped out at me was the MASSIVE tailpipe that pops out just behind the rear fender on the right side of the truck. I'd bet it's three inches or BIGGER!!!

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The black R2 is here in Arizona. I keep bugging the owner to finish restoring it.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                              I know a guy locally who claims to own the last factory tow truck with an FM. I have not seen this truck.
                              Rob in PA.
                              Rob, by any chance would that be an 8E-13 out of Maine (Goldenrod Garage)? If so, that is actually the second last E-13 off the line.
                              1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X