No announcement yet.

49 stude truck 486 gears ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 49 stude truck 486 gears ????

I have a 49 stude half ton that im building this truck has the overdrive tranny my question is if any other stude cars with 3 something gears would work in this truck ??? if so what years ??? 486 gears is way too much and 50 mph ant going too cut it lol thanks

The overdrive cuts it down to 3.21 overall with the overdrive engaged. Do you plan to eliminate the overdrive?
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

If this is a 2R5 with the 169 cid Engine you don't want to get too crazy with the axle ratio because it will not be able to pull the Overdrive in High gear with more than 1 Passenger on board or an Ant hill to climb! And it will be hard on clutches and difficult to get started. I would go about to 3.73.

The 2R6 245 Six Engine pulls a lot harder, more torque.

Yes any Dana Model 44 Differential Carrier can fit in there with a few minor issues, cheaper than a New Ring & Pinion and installation, at about $1000.00.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I plan on keeping the overdrive, yes this is a 2r5 with the 169 , what cars have the dana 44 ??

Comment

Look for a V8 truck rear with 4.11 or 4.56. In reality, the Champion needs all the help it can get. As Rich said, it ain't gonna pull today's low gears.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

All Commander V8 Cars 1951 to 1958, Presidents from 1955 to 1958, All 289 Engined Studebaker Cars like: 1960 to 1964 Hawks, and all V8 Station Wagons.

Also Standard on: '61 Lark Cruisers, '62 to '64 Larks and Lark Types that were ordered with the optional 289 Engine.

The idea is, to get the Complete removable "Carrier" and Pinion Gear which is every thing but the outside Housing and Axles because the track width on a Truck is wider than a Car, so the entire works does not fit.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks everyone for your input

Comment

I have the exact 49 truck and looking to do the same thing. I am having the engine rebuild professionally including balancing, porting and the oil journals updated. I want to be able to drive it to town and to a show or two. So 3.73 will work then. OK, thanks. I was told it was a DANA 60. Now I know it is a 44 now as well. What speed will the 3.73 allow me to travel comfortably at?

LN

Conducted a little research:

Answered my own question. If tire diameter is 28" (27.9) 1:1 (without overdrive on), 4.82 at 3000 rpm, truck should be moving at 51.87 mph. Using 3.73 gears, truck should be moving at 67.02 mph. 4.10 = 61 mph.

Lex
                Last edited by lanthony2020; 06-13-2014, 02:12 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

On flat ground a 3.73 and overdrive will keep up with freeway traffic. The problem then becomes the brakes. Just today, in the center lane, a teenage girl in a ricerocket in the left lane cut in front of me at 75 MPH and then jammed on the brakes because she couldn't get all the way over into the right lane to exit.

On any kind of hill with the 3.73/2.61 in overdrive , the Champion is going to have to downshift out of overdrive to pull it.

Bottom line - there ain't no free lunch when there's only 80-90 horsepower to get you there.

jack vines

PS - when we're talking trucks, we have to know the tire diameter. Tall truck-type 80 or 85-series 16"s are much fewer revs per mile than the weenie 15" 60-series car tires I see on so many C-cabs.
                  PackardV8

Comment

FYI, early 2R-5 trucks (like mine) have a Dana 41 - later versions were Dana 44s. Like Jack stated, tire diameter comes into play. On my truck (4:88 rear, champ six, overdrive. 6:50x16 tires) I CAN cruise at 50-55. I have had the truck up to a higher speed but I don't like it . Not only is the engine unhappy, so am I, since I know I can not stop fast enough. For me, 50-55 is it.
                    Studebaker offered a higher ratio as an option ( I think a 4:09, standard with a 2R-6) but I have never seen one in a 2R.
                    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

486 GEARS! That's a lot of shifting.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Conducted a little research:

Answered my own question. If tire diameter is 28" (27.9) 1:1 (without overdrive on), 4.82 at 3000 rpm, truck should be moving at 51.87 mph. Using 3.73 gears, truck should be moving at 67.02 mph. 4.10 = 61 mph. 4:09 = 61.12

Lex

Comment

Went to shop to look at my old tires. I have 6.5x16. My truck was a one owner postmaster. Body is straight and great including tailgate and bed. I know the rims are original?? I think??

LN

P.S. Serviced pumpkin and yes, mine has the Dana 41. Found an old post and looks like Hudson used this and had several gear sets available. Can these be had. Did not see anything on Randy's but on Monday they will be getting back to me.

Thanks in advance,

LN
                          Last edited by lanthony2020; 02-06-2015, 03:33 PM. Reason: New info

Comment

Working...
                          X